Entry 2

Hopeless

Enough with the introduction to my family. Let's move on to introduction of my friends.

But... To tell you the truth, my middle school life was quite a bomb.

 

During middle school, I have this one tall and pretty girl with such fair skin as my bestfriend named Park Chaeyoung. She is a smart girl, always scores well in each examination and has an outstanding look. Unlike me.

I don't even recall how did we become bestfriends, but one thing for sure, we came from the same kindergarten.

We are known as the school's bestfriends forever, as wherever she is, I will also be there. We are always together, no matter what. You can say, we are clingy to each other. Therefore, whenever anyone see us alone, they will easily figure out that we are in argument. We tend to argue a lot, though.

Because Chaeyoung, despite her pretty face, she is sometimes very selfish. And quite outspoken. And I'm the sensitive girl, so it's always end with a big fight.

We did make up the next day, though.

 

In my class, there is this guy who is known as the rich spoiled kid.. And a playboy.

I can't deny that he has the so-called cute and handsome look, or else how would he become a popular player, isn't it?

It was on our 8th grade that he suddenly decided to intrude into my friendship with Chaeyoung. Oh, his name is Kim Jiwon.

It was a sudden, you know, we were having fun in the class and then, suddenly, one of Jiwon's sidekicks, Junhoe came to Chaeyoung and whispered something to her ear. I didn't hear it but the way I saw it, I knew it was not good.

Chaeyoung's face was blushing red before Junhoe left with a small smirk. I wanted to ask her but seeing how Chaeyounh was fidgeting, I decided to ask later. And during the lunch, she told me.

"Junhoe told me that Jiwon likes me."

I was dumbfounded, like seriously. I gave Chaeyoung a disbelief look and she only smiled sheepishly. "I think I like him too."

I rolled my eyes at her before saying, "But that guy... Didn't you know that he is dating our classmate, Hayi? , I also heard he is dating that pretty junior from 7th grade too..?"

Chaeyoung's smile faltered after hearing what I said and I felt bad for her now.

"R-really?" She tried to sound calm before saying, "Okay, then. I guess he is just playing around, right? Stupid me thinking he is serious," and forced out a small laugh.

I only smiled blandly at her before sending a soft pat on her shoulder. Then, we ate our lunch together while talking about other stuff. At that time, I saw Jiwon and his gang sat not far from us and I noticed how he was eyeing the both of us. It was kinda irritating, you know. With that lazy smirk on his face when our eyes met.

What a flirty .

 


 

But out of my expectation, he didn't even make any move on Chaeyoung. It was great, anyway.

It was the week when Chaeyoung and Hayi with other several of our classmates went to a school trip, so there were only few of us left in the school. And it was at that time that Jiwon started to mess with my life.

Just out of nowhere, during recess when I didn't go out, he came to me and asked, "Are you feeling lonely that Chaeyoung is not here?"

I was quite shocked to see him talking to me first, because yeah, I was like a wallflower in the school. I only talked with people that I know closely. I'm never the type that talk a lot. But ever since he came into my life, I somehow started to talk a lot and become friendly. I even made friends with his friends. We got close since then. Like, really close.

 

It started with that question from him and we were close already.

He kept coming to me everyday. Even when Hayi and Chaeyoung came back to school, he still came and kept talking with me.

Chaeyoung would turn shy everytime he came, that's why it was always the two of us that talked each time. After so long being close with him, I couldn't help it.

I relentlessly fell for him. It would be a lie if I said I didn't.

He is a charming guy, who wouldn't like him?

Until one day, his true reason for getting close with me was revealed. When Chaeyoung went to the toilet, he leaned closer and whispered hotly on my ear, "Does Chaeyoung has boyfriend?"

I was astonished with his sudden question that the only reaction I could give to him was a forced laughter before he grabbed my hand, "Come on, tell me, Jen. I really need to know," with his puppy eyes.

I smiled before answering, "She doesn't."

His face brightened up before asking again, "Then, does she has anyone that she likes? Who?"

He kept pestering at me, asking about Chaeyoung's ideal guy or whatnot, that my heart sank too deep, I felt like the world was crashing down. But thankfully, Chaeyoung came back right at that time, so he pretended like nothing ever happened and we talked casually again.

After school, Chaeyoung asked me, "Did he ask anything about me?"

Being such honest brat as I am, I nodded before telling her, "He asked if you have boyfriend or anyone you like."

She smiled endlessly and I was so jealous with her, even I knew I shouldn't feel like this.

Much to my dismay, Jiwon didn't stop. He kept asking me about Chaeyoung everytime. But I didn't have any will to reject his questions. I ended up talking with him, spending time with him, even all that we talked about was Chaeyoung.

 

Somehow, I became a postman between him and Chaeyoung eventually.

But the funny thing was, Hayi seemed to be jealous with me, when the person she was supposed to be jealous was Chaeyoung. Before this, Hayi and I would smile to each other everytime we met, but now, she would give me a very cold look. It was proven that she was jealous of me when her bestfriend, Chanhyuk told me that she really was jealous of me for being that close with Jiwon, though she knew that Jiwon actually liked Chaeyoung, not me. 

When I asked Jiwon about his relationship with her, he would always change the topic and lastly, he told me that he already broke up with her.

It was a relief, but then, I forgot that he still had a relationship with that pretty junior, who was called Suhyun by her friends.

Another funny thing was, that Suhyun also kept staring at me with an unsatisfied look.

Everytime I walked passed her and her friends, they would purposely say loudly stuff like Jiwon and Suhyun look so good together, they had a happy date last night, as if they wanted to emphasize that Jiwon was hers in front of me.

It was kinda weird that they didn't attack Chaeyoung, but me instead. Sometimes, I wondered if it was because I was Chaeyoung's bestfriend? It must be.

 


 

Being close with Jiwon got me to know his friends well too. And as if to forget about Jiwon(though I clearly couldn't), I was interested with one of his friends named Minho. Song Minho. He is a funny and playful guy, I get along well with him.

When Chaeyoung happily told me about her relationship with Jiwon, she then asked me if I have anyone on my mind. I was about to say it was Jiwon, but of course, I didn't. Instead, I said it was Minho.

But out of my liking, she freaking leaked that supposed-to-be secret to Jiwon during their date together. After that, Minho started to avoid me.

Great. Thank you, Chaeyoung. Really.

Jiwon always teased me about Minho, saying I was a fool for liking someone like Minho who could never like me back. But deep in my heart, I knew he was right.

I was a fool for loving Kim Jiwon, who loves my own bestfriend.

As if a coincidence, Jiwon has a sister named Kim Seulgi who turned out to be good friend with my sister, Jisoo. They were classmates after all. And he went to the same taekwondo academy as Jisoo unnie.

It was also one of additional points for us to be close, because Jisoo unnie always brought me together when she went to meet her friend, at Jiwon's house.

 

One day, Jisoo unnie told me that Jiwon asked her such unexpected question about me. He asked who do I like? And Jisoo unnie mindlessly told him that it was Minho. And guess what, my sister said, Jiwon's face looked so disappointed and sad, for unknown reason.

Thus, Jisoo unnie asked me if there was anything between me and Jiwon? But of course, my answer was we were only close friends.

I wish we were more than that.

 

And it didn't help that during the last day of our 8th grade, he suddenly went to the rooftop where I always go whenever I wanted to be alone. And he stood beside me before saying, "Do you have any idea how many people like you so much?"

I laughed before saying, "Of course I know." The truth is, I knew he was lying. No one like me. If they like, it's maybe because I always score the examination, but of course, after Chaeyoung. She is always at the top, no one can beat her.

"But there is someone that like you too much.. Like, not adore, but... Love..."

I looked at him, my eyebrows furrowed, "Love? What do you mean?"

He looked flustered, but he shook his head before looking at me with his bunny smile, "It's my birthday today. My family will hold a birthday party tonight-" but suddenly, Chaeyoung came, interrupting us, "Jen, why didn't you- oh, sorry, I don't know that you are here too, Jiwon."

Jiwon automatically turned toward her, quickly forgetting my presence there. I heard Chaeyoung wishing him birthday cutely before they kissed. I couldn't help it. The feeling of.. Pain.

That evening, I didn't get to come home early as I had to accompany Joohyun in her detention. I sighed, she got detention because she had to skip class due to her active involvement in sports. Even when it was the last day of school.

 

But when we arrived home that evening, I saw Jisoo ran to her motorcycle in a hurry before I asked her, "Where are you going, unnie?"

She gave me a quick reply before vrooming away, "Jiwon's birthday party."

I was stunned. I remembered him telling me that, but looked like I didn't get any proper invitation from him, so I just decided to brush it aside. Joohyun looked at me and asked, "Who is Jiwon?"

I smiled before ruffling her hair, "My friend. And he is Seulgi unnie's brother."

Joohyun nodded understandingly, "Ahhh, I see."


 

And during our 9th grade, surprisingly, Jiwon didn't talk with me anymore. It seemed like he was avoiding me. After wondering for a long time, only then, I found out that Chaeyoung and him had broken up. Even with Suhyun and Hayi.

He was single, for now.

But what could I do? He didn't even seem like he want to talk with me anymore. I guess, since I had no function anymore, he decided to abandon me too.

But I didn't mind though.

And new year meant new story.

I found out that Jiwon's friend, Hanbin likes me.

 


 

Author's Note:

 

This really happened in my real life. Everything. Huhu. 'Jiwon' really confused me sometimes. His action.