Lurry

Flurry

Whoosh.

Wind gushed into the car and messed Taeyeon’s hair up completely, but she didn’t care. She was one with the wind. She might as well have been the wind. A smile stretched across her face as the wind whipped her cheeks and flipped her hair. Lightness permeated her entire body.

So this was what real happiness felt like.

T

Twelve hours ago . . .

Taeyeon wasn’t sure she heard Tiffany right. Wasn’t sure if she understood her meaning right. Wasn’t sure if she was dreaming all of this.

“Looks like I said something wrong.” Tiffany retracted her hand and coughed. “Well, this is embarrassing.”

“Wrong? You didn’t say anything wrong.”

“I didn’t? Then why are you looking at me like that?”

“I don’t know how I’m looking at you. But right now, I’m a little surprised.”

“A little surprised? Why?”

Taeyeon shrugged. “I wasn’t expecting your answer.”

Leaning forward on her elbows, Tiffany stared at Taeyeon. “Who were you expecting then?”

Taeyeon shrugged again. “I don’t know. I just wasn’t expecting you to say it’s me. We haven’t known each other for long.”

“True, true.” Tiffany nodded. “But I’m comfortable with you and I think you’re comfortable with me too, or am I wrong?”

“You’re not wrong.”

“And we get along well together. We complement each other well, don’t you agree?”

“I agree.”

“And you were obviously flirting with me the first day we met.”

“I was not. You were flirting with me. You and your mysterious smiles and inviting me up to your room . . .”

Tiffany was grinning. And not denying any of the points that Taeyeon raised. “You flirted back.”

“It was the polite thing to do.”

Tiffany burst out in snort-like laughs. “Polite.” She snort-laughed some more and would have continued, but their grilled eel rice arrived and that was the end of their conversation as they stuffed their mouths full like starved people.

Once they were done with dinner, Taeyeon led Tiffany back to her car.

“Where to now?”

“Bring me to your favourite place.”

“My favourite place? Hm . . .”

“Do you have one?”

A tiny smile crept onto Taeyeon’s face. “I do. Buckle up.”

A short drive later, they pulled up in a dim parking lot. Taeyeon grinned at Tiffany who was peering out the window tentatively.

“Where are we going?”

“Follow me.”

Tiffany’s footsteps trailed behind Taeyeon at first, then caught up and came astride. “Is this your secret place?” she asked in a half-whisper.

“Kind of? Not really a secret since my friends know about it, but it’s been a while since I’ve been here.”

“Are we going to the bridge?” Tiffany asked, pointing at the bridge looming ahead.

“Bingo.”

“Why the bridge?”

“It’s my thing to stand on the bridge and scream at the river when I’m extra anxious about something, or when I’m scared. Or angry.”

“Which are you right now?”

“None of those.” Taeyeon raised her arms high and inhaled the cool air. “Right now, I’m feeling fresh. But I want to show you this view.” 

“It’s a good view.”

“I know, right?” Taeyeon stretched again and rolled her neck. “Ah, I feel much better already.”

“Were you feeling bad before?”

“Just a little tired.”

“Then you shouldn’t be driving me about.” Tiffany gave Taeyeon a gentle push. “Go, let’s go home.”

“The hotel’s your home now, huh?”

“Not for long.”

“Where are you moving to? When?”

Tiffany’s mysterious smile crept onto her face again. “I’ll tell you next time.”

“Why next time?”

“Because you’re going home to sleep now.”

“Someone is starting to be really bossy.”

“You’d better know who’s boss.” Tiffany grabbed Taeyeon’s shoulders and pushed her in the direction of the parked car. “Move it. Go. Shoo.”

“Yes, boss.”

A smooth drive later, Taeyeon pulled up at the foyer of the hotel.

“I had a great night, Taeyeon.”

“Me too.”

“I want to see you again. Soon.”

Taeyeon couldn’t stop herself from smiling. “Me too.”

“Soon, as in tomorrow.”

Taeyeon’s grin was full blown then. “Me too.”

T

“What happened to your hair?”

Taeyeon patted her hair, somewhat self-consciously. “Is it horrible?”

Taehyeong nodded with solemn eyes. “Very.”

“Oh, crap.”

“Did you drive with the windows open or something?”

“Yeah.”

“Oh, you only do that when you’re in a good mood. Did something good happen?”

“Kind of?”

“What? What? Tell me, tell me.”

Taeyeon laughed at Taehyeong’s shining eyes, inquisitive and curious. “I had a good evening out. That’s all.”

“With Tiffany,” Taehyeong said with a knowing grin.

“Yeah.”

“Did you have a good time with Tiffany?” Taehyeong asked with a wink.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“You’ve got that look.”

“What look?”

“Like you got energized last night.”

“Oh my God, Tae. Is that all you can think about? You need to get laid.”

“Ladies, first,” Taehyeong laughed and patted Taeyeon’s shoulder as he walked away.

T