Flurry

Flurry

The first flurry fell on her woolly sleeve. The first flurry of the season. Taeyeon smiled at it and slowed her stroll to a standstill as more flurries fell from the sky. Winter, her favourite season, was coming. She took a few seconds to appreciate the beauty falling around her, then hastened to the pub where she was to meet her friends.

Two were already at a table when she got in. Sunny and Yoona, the sugar sisters. It was a nickname used since their teens and it stuck around till today. True to their nicknames, both stood to hug her and take turns squeaking their greetings into her ear with exaggerated cartoony voices they were best known for since their immature years. Being used to it, Taeyeon simply rolled her eyes and took her seat with a smile of familiarity. As irritating as it was, she would probably find herself missing it if they stopped doing it.

“You’re the last to arrive again. Drinks on you,” chirped Sunny.

“You’re not allowed to drink me out of house and home,” Taeyeon retorted quickly, knowing very well just how much her friends were capable of drinking.

“At least you’re in time for Hyo’s set,” said Yoona.

Taeyeon checked the time. “I’m a good thirty minutes early for her set.”

“I know. Just saying.”

“We never know if you might get stuck in the studio and end up an hour late,” Sunny added to Yoona’s defence.

“Blame it on the singers.”

“Any superbly bad ones today?” Sunny asked with a cheeky grin. She was always up for more juicy news about singers who can’t hold a note in the studio.

“Just one. But she wasn’t too bad. Nothing a little autotune can’t fix.”

“Enough chit chat.” Yoona slid the drinks menu under Taeyeon’s nose. “Pick a drink.”

Taeyeon chose a mocktail and sat back as Yoona raised her hand to get the attention of a waitress. It was always Yoona when they were together. There was something about her beautiful pixie face that never failed to get their table served as soon as she called for it, no matter how busy the place was. She looked around the place while Yoona spoke to the waitress who came to take their orders. It was respectably filled up, with only a few tables sitting empty. They would be filled up soon enough.

On the return sweep of her surroundings, Taeyeon spotted a lone lady sitting at the table at her two o’clock. The seat opposite the lady’s was empty and a bulky bag was resting by her feet, along with a mysteriously long and slim black case about the length of her thigh. Her head was propped on a fist, eyes staring into empty space. Her short, shoulder-length black hair was a little fussed, like the wind had blown through it too much. It wasn’t too much to say the lady didn’t look like she belonged here. And she didn’t look like she wanted to either.

“Hello, Taeyeon. What’s got your attention?” Sunny ask. She turned to look in the same direction but clearly, she didn’t see what Taeyeon saw. “Saw someone you know?”

Taeyeon shook her head and was saved from explaining by the arrival of their drinks. She took her mocktail and sipped as her attention returned to her conversation with Sunny and Yoona. But every now and then, her eyes would venture back to the lady at the other table.

“Goodnight to y’all sleepy people. I’m here to wake y’all up!”

Taeyeon and her friends grinned and applauded Hyo’s sassy introduction as they turned to the voice up on centre stage. It was their friend, Hyo, the guest DJ performing here tonight, and the reason why they picked this place to meet. For the next forty-five minutes, Taeyeon was engrossed in Hyo’s set and cheered along with the crowd when Hyo wrapped it up for the night. But her high spirits dampened a little when she realized the table at two o’clock were now occupied by two men. The lady and her bags were gone.

It was much colder outside by the time they left the place. Taeyeon crossed her arms and huddled with her woolly sweater and pulled her woolly hat down over her forehead as she bade her friends goodbye. Then it was a quick shuffle to her car to hide from the cold.

She was sitting in her car warming herself up when a scuffle outside caught her attention. Trapped between two tall men and struggling against them was a woman with a bag and long box. In all but a split second, Taeyeon recognized her. She was the lady at the two o’clock table. Was she in trouble? It certainly looked like it. But with two tall men to contend with, Taeyeon didn’t think it a good idea to step in. But she had a car. Her car could be her shield.

She jammed her hand on the car horn and held it, giving the men a rude shock. Then she switched the high beam on and drove towards them. The two men covered their eyes with their arms, letting go of the woman. She made a run for it, running towards Taeyeon’s car and Taeyeon unlocked the doors for her in case she decided to hop on. She did just that and Taeyeon locked the doors the instant she closed it. The men started towards her car, but Taeyeon was already backing out of the car park and got back on the street without any further trouble.

“Are you alright?” Taeyeon asked as soon as they were clear of danger.

The woman shook her head but said nothing.

Taeyeon didn’t want to push the woman to answer. For a good ten minutes after that, no one spoke. Taeyeon drove and the woman beside her breathed heavily. No words. Until they got to a red light at the cross junction near Taeyeon’s home. She couldn’t possibly drive home with this woman in her car so she found a quiet road to stop at the side of.

“Where do you want to be dropped off?” she asked gently, rather afraid to upset the woman.

The woman reached into her bulky bag and pulled out her wallet. Out from the wallet came a name card. Taeyeon took it and looked. A hotel name card. Stay Inn. Quite a creative name, she thought.

“Is this where you’re staying?”

The woman nodded.

“My name is Taeyeon, by the way.”

The woman’s eyes met hers, but she didn’t offer her name.

“Please don’t take offense, but I need to ask. Are you mute?”

This time, the woman’s brows moved up and down. She held their gaze for a few long seconds, then broke into a crinkly smile. “I’m not.”

“I’m sorry. It’s just that you weren’t speaking so I thought—”

“I know. I just didn’t realize I hadn’t spoken at all.”

“It was quite a scary thing you just went through. I understand if words aren’t on your mind.”

“Thank you.”

The grateful look in the woman’s eyes made it clear she was thanking Taeyeon for saving her. “Do you want to talk about it? Or would you rather not.”

“Actually, I’d rather get the rest of my luggage and check into the hotel.”

“Right, right. What am I even thinking? Of course. Where’s your luggage?”

“In a locker at the mall.”

“Which mall?”

“The one down the road from the place we came from.”

“I’ll drive you there.”

“Thank you.”

Taeyeon smiled in return and put her car into motion again.

Moments later, they found themselves standing outside the mall, unable to get in. It was usually open till late, but was shut tonight. There was no way in and no way to get the woman’s luggage out. She was visibly upset; this unfortunate event compounded the traumatic incident she had just undergone.

“It looks like you can only get your luggage back tomorrow. How about I drive you to the hotel and you get a good rest for the night?”

“I’ll take a taxi there.”

“No, no. I’ll drive you there.”

“I’ve troubled you enough.”

“It’s just a short drive way. My sense of responsibility won’t let me leave you here alone by yourself. I’ll only feel assured after seeing you to a safe place.”

The woman sighed. “I’ll have to trouble you again then. Thank you.”

A few more moments later, Taeyeon pulled into the car park of the hotel and accompanied the woman in the reception even though the woman said she didn’t have to. The truth of the matter was that Taeyeon was hoping to get her name before leaving but didn’t think it was nice of her to ask until she was safe and secure.

“Hi, I would like to check in for the night.”

Taeyeon stood by as the receptionist issued the room key card and was about to ask for the woman’s name when the woman sprung a surprise on her.

“I can’t let you go off after troubling you so much.” The woman opened her wallet and pulled out a few big notes, offering them to her.

Taeyeon frowned. “I won’t accept your money. I’m just helping you.”

“I know. At least let me pay for your petrol.”

“Petrol doesn’t cost that much.”

“It includes my gratitude.”

“Then a simple thank you is enough.”

“How about a drink? A drink and a short rest before you get on the road again.”

Taeyeon’s heart leapt. She wasn’t expecting an invite of this sort, but it was a chance to find out this woman’s name and a little more about her too. “This is an offer I will accept.”

The room was a surprise too. If she could even call it a room. It was more like a suite. In fact, it was a suite. It had a bar, living room and bedroom. She asked to use the bathroom and admired the rain shower as she let rain of her own go. When she came back out to the living room, the woman was standing by the bar, waiting for her with a smile.

“What would you like to drink?”

Something about being in a more expensive place made Taeyeon aware of a few things she had missed out on before. The big bulky black bag was in fact, a Mulberry, and the wallet this woman had left on the counter was a Louis Vuitton. Putting two and two together, Taeyeon came to the conclusion that this woman must be quite wealthy. Not that it mattered in the scheme of things.

“Coffee would be nice.”

“Not whiskey? Or wine?”

“I’m driving.”

“How very responsible of you. Is that really the reason for following me all the way here?”

“Not entirely.”

“What’s the entire reason?”

“I want to know your name.”

“That’s all?”

Taeyeon allowed herself a little grin. “For starters.”

The woman smiled. “For starters, my name is Tiffany.”

T