Slurry

Flurry

There was pain and pleasure. Pain in her head and pleasure on her skin. She didn’t want to open her eyes or move. All she wanted to do was stay right here, in this spot, and wriggle her toes against the silky, smoothie sheets of Egyptian cotton or whatever material it was that felt like heaven—wait—her sheets were nothing like this. Where was she?

Her eyes popped open and looked wildly to the left and right. Royal wine-red wallpapered walls surrounded her. Ruffled sheets of white swaddled her. Her head was nestled on a cool, soft pillow. And beside her was a head of messy black hair turned away from her.

Who? Where? What?

She sat up in shock. Who did she just spend the night with? Where was she? What had she done? Looking down and feeling with her hands, she was relieved to know she was fully clothed, just shy of her outer jacket. By this point, her brain began to crank up and memories streamed in. The woman in bed with her was the mysterious Tiffany. They had gone out for dinner last night and she had a great time up until the sake. That’s when things went missing. Like her sobriety. And later on, her consciousness, obviously.

So if the woman in bed with her was Tiffany, they must be in Tiffany's hotel room.

“Good morning, Taeyeon.”

The husky, gruffy voice grabbed Taeyeon’s attention. A pair of sleepy, smiley eyes were gazing at her and a weird swell rose in her chest as she smiled back.

“Good morning, Tiffany.”

“Are you feeling alright?”

Taeyeon nodded. “I’m alright. Just a little woozy. And thirsty.”

“I would say I’m sorry for making you drink that sake but I’m not.”

“You should be.”

“Not when you’re such an adorable drunk.”

Taeyeon blushed. “I hope I didn’t do anything embarrassing.”

“Define embarrassing.”

Taeyeon shrugged. “I don’t know . . . like saying all the wrong things or dancing like a fool or . . . something.”

Tiffany giggled. “No, you didn’t say anything wrong or dance like a fool. You were sleepy and whiny like a baby, that’s all.”

“How did you get us back here if I was so drunk?”

“The doorman helped me.”

“Oh. That’s embarrassing.”

“That’s not embarrassing. I’ve seen embarrassing. Trust me.”

“Do you drink a lot?”

Tiffany smiled mysteriously again. “Maybe.”

“That means a big yes.”

“Define ‘a lot’.”

“You seem to like defining things a lot.”

“It’s better to avoid misunderstandings.”

“I sense a sad story dwelling behind that line.”

“Nothing special enough to mention,” Tiffany shrugged, then smiled again. “So, breakfast?”

T

“Someone is in a good mood today,” commented the woman with lush black hair swishing around her ears as she grinned.

“Yul, mind your own business,” Taeyeon retorted with a grin of her own.

“Did you meet someone new?” asked Yul as she glided across the glossy wooden floor on her chair-with-wheels.

“You gotta stop doing that. S-E-O won’t let you off again.”

If she catches me in the act.”

“She will, eventually.”

“What did I do to you? Why are you cursing me like this?”

“Because you deserve it.”

“You are a cruel, cruel woman.”

“Did Taehyeong come in today?”

“No. But he dropped by to give me coffee,” Yuri replied with a grin. “He didn’t give you any though,” she added quickly.

Taeyeon rolled her eyes and took her seat. “Are your lyrics done?”

“Which one?”

“The one you’ve been writing since two weeks ago.”

Yuri grimaced. “No.”

“Well, then. Stop bugging me and get to work.” Taeyeon turned to her computer and gave the mouse a shake. The large screen burst into colours and she clicked on the program, changing the colours into linear waves stretching across the screen. She clicked, and tapped and listened for the next two hours until someone tapped on her shoulder.

“Tae, there’s someone here to see you.”

“Who?”

Yuri winked and sang, “Pretty woman, knocking on your door. Pretty woman, asking you for more . . .”

“Cut it out, geez.” Taeyeon gave Yuri a playful push as she passed the cheeky woman and headed for the door. Seeing the pretty woman waiting there made her eyes open to their widest. “Tiffany?”

“Hey,” Tiffany greeted and smiled shyly. “It’s me.”

“I know it’s you, but what are you doing here? How did you find me?”

“I searched you up.”

Taeyeon lifted a brow. “What do you mean?”

“Can we sit down while I explain?”

“Sure, come with me.”

Taeyeon led Tiffany to the empty studio that nobody was using at the moment and switched the lights on. “So, what is all this about?” she asked while gesturing at the couch behind the console.

“It’s kind of a long story and a little unbelievable.”

Taeyeon glanced at the clock on the wall. “I have time. And I’m ready to believe.”

So the story began.

T

“I actually specially came here to look for you,” Tiffany started.

“Yes, but—”

“I don’t think you understand. I came here to look for you,” Tiffany explained, waving her arms about in a circle.”

“Like to this city?”

Tiffany nodded.

“Why? Did we know each other from before?”

Tiffany nodded again.”

Taeyeon scratched her head. “Really?”

Lifting the long black case from her side, Tiffany set it on her lap and opened it. inside was a much older, worn-out-looking brown case that was a little rusty at the corners. The shiniest flute gleamed at Taeyeon when the second case was opened.

Taeyeon looked at Tiffany blankly. “It’s a flute.”

“Yes. I’m a flute player.”

“And?”

“I’m the flute player you’ve been working with for the past three months.”

Taeyeon frowned. “But I haven’t been working with a flute player for the past three months.”

Tiffany’s jaw slackened. “You haven’t?”

Taeyeon shook her head. “No.”

“But I’ve been corresponding with a person called Tae and the person works at this studio—”

“It’s not me you’re looking for, Tiffany,” clarified Taeyeon as the situation dawned upon her and sank her heart a little. “It’s the other producer in this studio. He’s been working on an instrumental piece for a movie. His name is Taeyeong.”

T