The Day.

Love Letter.

This was it. 

 

This was the day. The day Jungeun would finally (hopefully) give Jinsoul her love letter. Jungeun would finally have the courage to face the girl who invaded her mind almost everyday for 3 years. Or so she hoped. Sure, she’s been in this position way too many times to count but something about this day makes her feel like it will be different. She’s definitely way more nervous than ever and has half the mind to call this whole thing off. What happens if she goes through with it? How will Jinsoul react? How will she react? Every possible question and scenario raced through her mind as she sat on her bed, until she was interrupted by her bedroom door swinging wide open. 

 

 

“RISE AND SHINE ! YOU GOT A GIRL TO GET!” Jiwoo yelled as she barged in, immediately jumping onto Jungeun’s bed. 

 

Jungeun glared at her friend, upset that she came only to make scene. “Could you be anymore louder, I don’t think all of Korea heard you. Also, why are you here? The graduation doesn’t start until 12?” 

 

“Yeah, but I know you. You’d probably chicken out and then I’m gonna have to hear you moan about never telling her all over again.” Jiwoo said matter of factly. “I refuse to let that happen so I’m here now so you can actually do the damn thing. Because if you don’t, I’m doing it for you.”

 

“Like hell you are. I would die before having you embarrass me in front of her.”

 

“Great then, glad you’re on board. Now get ing dressed.” 

 

 

It was about 2 hours until 12 that Jungeun was finally ready. They figured the easiest way to get to Jinsoul was before the actual graduation, because the surplus amount of families after the event would essentially put an end to the whole mission. She grabbed her purse and put the envelope inside, careful not to wrinkle it as she walked out of her room. Taking in one large breath in to calm her nerves, she left the house and climbed into Jiwoo’s car. 

 

 

“So, when we get there, just scanned out for her. It shouldn’t be too hard considering its only the graduates and a few other people there now. Once you spot her, just go for it. Okay?”

 

“I mean, what if she’s not there yet? What if she’s with her family? I can’t just walk up to her in front of everyone and basically confess to her. She doesn’t even know who I am, remember?” Jungeun began panicking again, overthinking about her embarrassing this was. 

 

“God, you’re a lost cause. Look, it doesn’t matter. All you gotta do is say, ‘Hey! congratulations. You may not know me but I just wanted to give you this,’ and hand her the letter. That’s it. You can leave and hide in the crowd right after. Unless, you want to stay after and talk to her. Which I doubt.”

 

“You are correct, I do not want to stay and talk. But even still, that’s assuming she even acknowledges me.”

 

Jiwoo rolled her eyes at that statement, getting slightly fed up with how insecure Jungeun was being. “If she blatantly ignores you then honestly why even like a rude girl like that.” 

 

“I guess.”

 

“Look if you want, we don’t even have to stay for the graduation. We can go to the zoo if you want, look at the owls you’re so obsessed with. Huh? How does that sound? Maybe they’ll knock some sense into you.” 

 

“Shut up... but yeah, can we? I don’t think I really want to see her reaction.”

 

“Alrighty tighty, let’s get all mighty.” 

 

“...I don’t even want to know.” 

 

 

Jungeun leaned her seat back as they continued to ride towards the school. Upon arriving, there was indeed not that many people there. Maybe they came a bit too early. 

 

Walking around, seeing all the graduates in their cap and gown made both girls excited about the next year. To think, one more year and they will finally be adults. Finally be free from the hellhole that is high school. 

 

 

“Oh wow, God is really on your side today for some unknown reason.” Jiwoo said, stopping in her tracks as she found Jinsoul in the hall, alone. 

 

“Holy she’s alone again. Damn it I guess I have no choice now, huh?”

 

“No ma’am you do not. Now go before you have to do it in front of god knows how many people.” Jiwoo pushed Jungeun towards the girl, making a mental note to keep her end of the deal, in case she chickens out again. 

 

 

Jungeun wobbled as she nearly lost her balance, but began to walk towards the girl, trying to pace her breathing to control her rapidly beating heart. In no time, to Jungeun’s dismay, she was right in front of Jinsoul, who was staring straight at her. 

 

 

“Um, hi.”

 

“...”

 

 

Jungeun froze. Whatever little bit of confidence she had had vanished. She couldn’t move, couldn’t speak. She was lost in her brown eyes, and was falling even more than she thought she could. 

 

 

“Hello?” Are you okay? Are you lost?”

 

“Oh um... s-sorry... I-I I just, uhh... , you’re so pretty... Oh! No wait s-... I, ... I’m sor-“

 

 

Jungeun’s panicked speech was broken through by a faint soft laugh. Her face reddened as she saw Jinsoul’s shy smile. It was beautiful. She always caught glimpses of it from afar and seeing it so close up made Jungeun’s whole body tingle. Jungeun is completely and undeniably in love with Jinsoul. 

 

 

“Ah, thank you. You’re too kind.” Jinsoul replied with a soft smile. 

 

“Oh. Um, you’re welcome... uhh, OH! Here,” Jungeun reached in purse to retrieve the letter, hands shaking as she pulled it out and handed it to her. Her head lowered, she couldn’t bring herself to look at Jinsoul again, afraid she may say something else stupid. 

 

“You... you don’t have to look at it now. Or ever actually. You know what, just forget about all of this... uhh, I’m going to go now. Bye!” 

 

“Oh wai-“

 

 

But Jungeun left the second she could, head down as she sped walked to Jiwoo, who was looking both amused and concerned for her friend. 

 

 

“So, how’d it go?” Jiwoo asked with an eyebrow raised, as they headed out the building. 

 

“Naturally, I ed up. But I guess the only good thing is I did the one thing i was supposed to do which was give her the letter.” 

 

“Oh my god that’s great, we can all finally move on from this. I saw you looking like a fool, did you congratulate her?” 

 

“... HOW DID I FORGET THAT!” 

 

 

Jinsoul looked at the retreating figures as she held the envelope in her hand. A very interesting exchange she just encountered. She looked at the item and opened it and began to read. It was a cute, simple love letter, one that made Jinsoul’s heart flutter. She had no idea someone felt this way for her. Her thoughts were interrupted by her phone vibrating, Sooyoung saying she just arrived. Leaving her spot to meet up with her, she carefully folded the letter and placed it back in the envelope. 

 

 

“Why are you red? What did you do?” Sooyoung questioned as soon as she saw her. 

 

“Oh, no real reason. Its just... well you know that girl that hangs out with that Jiwoo girl?”

 

“The scary one? Yeah why?”

 

“She’s not scary.”

 

“Well she looks like she could kill someone in her sleep. Anyways what’s up?”

 

“Well, she just gave me this love letter, and apparently she’s been crushing on me since she was a freshman.” 

 

Sooyoung’s eyes widened at the news. “Holy ! YOU HAD AN ADMIRER THE WHOLE TIME!” 

 

“Shut up will ya? But yeah I guess. Such a shame she told me now though, she was cute.” Jinsoul smiled sadly. She may not have known the girl, but their brief interaction made her feel something warm. If only she had told her before, who know what would have happened. 

 

 

During the entirety of the graduation, Jinsoul kept her eyes on the crowd, hoping to find her. But she never did. Not even when it ended, there was no trace of the girl. Jinsoul couldn’t believe her first time meeting her would be her last. She doesn’t even know her name.