Merge

Surviving Youth
Please log in to read the full chapter

Chun-hei hated the environment of her class. It was better the previous year. It wasn't filled with chaotic noises, students retorting back to the teacher's demands, paper planes flying over her head and loud, loud chatters lingering in the air. Something about this, really drove her up the wall. She didn't care if the lessons were disrupted, being an anti-studyholic person.  She just hated it when her classmates continue making noises during small snack breaks between classes. It was as though her rest was disturbed, disrespected and insulted.


In the previous year, she was classmates with a very close friend. Her nickname was Dollface, so it wasn't as bad when her rest was disturbed by loud people because she would be occupied with her  conversation with Dollface.


However, she loves it when someone comes, knocking by the door during boring Chemistry lessons.


"Excuse me, may I come in and borrow some plugs in the class, Mr Eric Nam?" A female student appeared at the door. Chun-hei removed her eyes from the passage of reading comprehension paper which she had no idea about, afterwards her eyes made contact with her. The latter had her hair tied up into a long, high bun, her curly bangs curved over her forehead. Her smile was huge, a forced respectful grin shining its way towards their English teacher that day.


"I'll have you know, no one enters my class with a bright yellow hairband. How dare you break a school rule and come to this class, as if you didn't do anything wrong?" Mr Nam answered smoothly, stacking his files into one pile, before looking back towards the board to write some notes for the class.


Chun-hei watched the amusing interaction between the teacher and the student, pressing her chin into her palm. More reasons to abandon her task. It was clear the students around her reacted the same. Just a few minutes, they could finally not be forced to really focus too much on their assignment and stare at the girl that was grabbing the spotlight

.
"But Mr Nam!" she whined, "Just this once, I forgot to bring my black hair band. In fact, i really need the plug, because the plug in my class can't seem to work. Ms Amy Lee will be so mad at me, we need to watch a video with regard to rasputin for, i don't know, some boring history lessons. See, i'm not doing this for myself. My classmates are depending on me for this. I'm the class chair person!" 


There were a few chuckles that spread around the area, some were rolling their eyes at how annoying the girl was acting. Most of them though, already knew her so they weren't really bothered.

"God, she's doing it again."


"I swear, in a crowd full of people and she's there, you can only hear her voice."


"She's too loud. Some teachers do adore her though." 

"Student Im Byeol from Class F-9, you may take the plug. But remember, if I see you around at the corridor with that colored hairband again, I won't hesitate to bring this matter to the discipline commitee." Ending the written notes with a dot that made a loud thud, followed by the click of the cap that connected back to its marker, Mr Nam looked at her. "Understood?"

"Yes Mr Nam!"

"Now come in and take what you need, then leave immediately."

Byeol grinned and jogged happily into the class, before grabbing the plug on the shelf at the front of the class. She greeted some of her friends at the back with a dab (most of them were boys) and headed towards Chun-hei. 

"I'll see you during break time, Hei-ah!" she patted her shoulder and ran out immediately.
Chun-hei could only blink the second all eyes were dragged towards her. 

See you, Dollface.

"Damn, how did you even manage to deal with her?" a voice came from the very corner of the class. Chun-hei looked over towards the one who asked such a question, she had no idea who he was. Or to be frank, she had no idea who most of her current classmates were. (she knew some of course, due to group projects) Six months with that said class, she didn't make a single new friend simply because she couldn't be bothered. All she really cared for were her grades (somewhat), and cafeteria food. 

However, Yunhee, the smartest in the average class could be considered a friend of hers', though not really. Yunhee sits beside her for all of her class, and because of her reserved personality, nice smile and angelic vibe, Chun-hei sort of grew attached to her as a classmate, and a borderline friend. 

She wasn't exactly close with anyone. You could call her an introvert with an average beauty, average grades, average rank. She isn't outstanding like some of the girls in the class, though she was like a shadow, hidden among the darks, judging everyone with her eyes. Speaking only when there's a need to, and asking only the most relevant questions.

Unlike Dollface, she hates to be in the spotlight.


Unlike Dollface, she hates to be seen.


Unlike Dollface, she hates to be put in a center of attention.


Within her whole life time, she had never made any enemies, though there is one. And that is..

"Self-consciousness." Chun-hei sat beside Byeol, naturally passing her a small packet of banana milk that afternoon, "self-consciousness can go and rot forever. I would gladly volunteer to be its funeral director."
"That sounds really poetic, what are you on about?" Byeol blinked, as she grabbed the banana milk and downing it in a go.

"Well, remember one time when my sister gave me her money and told me to buy a bag of eggs, but i bought a the whole box? Yes, I even paid for it the day after because it was my mistake that I only had a few hours of sleep and couldn't really hear her properly. We had a relatives get-together yesterday, and she couldn't stop talking about how stupid I am and how I was wasting her money even after I paid her back."

"How is that self-consciousness? It was you making a mistake and being responsible for it. You paid for it, and you apologized. If anything, it's your sister's fault for dragging the problem and shaming you in front of your relatives for it." Byeol responded, her eyebrows almost touching each other, pissed at the fact the mistreatment Chun-hei received.

"That's another story. The fact that my relatives know more about my imperfections, it keeps killing me. I feel like at this point, neighbours from my whole block can write my entire biography about all the mistakes i did as a younger sister." Chun-hei sighed. The bench she was sitting on was against a wall, so she leaned her head back and stared hopelessly at Byeol.

"God, she's really a witch! If I was you, I'd give her no chance. I wouldn't care if she's older than me. I will most definitely throw her off the window if she keeps doing things like that." Byeol huffed, throwing her banana milk into the trash bin. "I really want to teach her a lesson some day." 

"I'm not dragging you into any of my mess. Revenge never solves anything." Chun-hei shuddered just by the thought of Byeol's possible cunning plan in revenge. She remembered when Byeol got involved with one of the hottest girls in school

Her name was Soo-ah, once known as the biggest witch in school. Her reputation was as bad as her grades, considering she once showed a teacher her chest so she could get an A grade. When it was found out, Soo-ah tried so badly to cover it. The one who found that out was Byeol, and being a loud girl she is, she screamed through the corridor about what had happened. People gathered, and the teacher got himself into trouble -- Soo-ah was suspended. 

 Soo-ah had broken up with her boyfriend, Junhui, months ago, it was a mutual break up, since he didn't feel the same way as well. Byeol is friends with most of the boys in school including Junhui. Since Soo-ah didn't initiate the break up, she found the opportunity to play the v

Please log in to read the full chapter