Chapter Two

I Swear It Was Love

 

Chapter 2

THE NEXT MORNING

I woke up, eyes were swollen, wishing yesterday was a dream that ended into a nightmare. Taekie not only rejected me but also confessed that he loved another. I should just stop myself, but maybe it was his brown eyes. His eyes shine at night. His contagious smile. I smack my cheeks lightly and shook my head. ‘Don’t think about him. If I can avoid Taek for a while, it would hurt less.  I will deal with these feelings, so it won’t be so awkward. I will end these feelings.’I told myself looking at the mirror applying a heavy coat of makeup to hide any evidence of tears. I grabbed an apple heading outside to see Sung-woo running up the steps to my house. “Oh! Eun-Bi, you woke up early today.” Sun-woo said breathing heavily putting his hands on his knees for a moment. “Annyeonghaseyo oppa. I wanted to talk to the teacher about the lessons that I will be missing, before going to practice for the Olympics ceremony.” I explained as I hoped he wouldn’t notice that I cried last night.“Wait here. I will just go put my uniform and go with you. It’s still early for you to walk alone.” I nodded. While I was waiting for Sun-Woo, Taek’s father closed his front gates as usual. I quickly hid out of his sight knowing that Taek was probably up.

At the Olympics’ practice, the instructor was yelling at me to fix my expression. The girls and I practiced until break time, where I walked fast into the bathroom. My eyes look sad as I washed my face with water wiping down the makeup. I reapplied makeup to cover up my swollen eyes, as Deok Seon walked in. “Deok Seon, won’t Bo Ra unnie kill you for wearing her makeup. You can always borrow mine.” I said noticing her makeup. “I don’t know why you call Bo Ra unnie… seriously she is a witch.” Deok-Seon complained.

Deok Seon stayed to keep practicing, however, I meet up with Wang Ja-Hyun and Jang Mi-ok, my school friends, to get my homework for that school day. After I meet up with them, I was going to Sun-Woo house to get tutored on math problems and science. I convinced my dad on paying Sun-Woo for tutoring me since I was going to be applying for college soon. As I was turning the block, I saw the ahjummas sitting down talking.

“Ohh Eun-Bi is coming..” the mothers murmured.

“Annyeonghaseyo ahjummas. Is Sun-Woo oppa home?” I bowing and smiling at them.

“Yes. Head straight in. Eun-Bi… Can you do me a favor and ask Sun-Woo about the bandage in his face?” Sun-Woo’s mother asked worried about Sun-Woo. “You don’t have to know everything about your son….” the ahjummas discussed.

“Anyways… Eun-Bi... You are pretty today. You must have boys turning to look at you…” the ahjummas’ commented making my cheeks get red. “Thank you,” I said shyly

“Ya! Eun-Bi. Why aren’t you coming in, already??” Sun-Woo asked opening his house door to drag me by the hand into his house. I went in and the ahjummas were whispering “Ya.. are you sure Eun-Bi and Sun-Woo aren’t dating???” “They would look cute together.”

Sun-Woo and I just laughed and Jin-Joo came running yelling my name. Sun-Woo began to lecture me on math based on my homework. Sun-woo and I argue about the answers, but I noticed a missed calculation on my workbook. I opened my backpack to search for the oranges I had while making sure to leave two for adjumma and Jin-Joo. “She...walked to him with a… simile.” I read aloud, while Sun-Woo was helping me with pronunciation.  As we were reading out loud from our English book, Jin-Joo ran up to us demanding to see t.v. with her.

“Oppa...The bandage wasn’t there yesterday in the morning. Is the senior making you play soccer again?” I asked concerned.

“ani...I was trying to shave.” He whispered embarrassed, as I laughed at his embarrassment.

“Do you know how worried your mom is? She asked me to ask you.” I said in between laughter.

“Ya... You better not tell the other…” He threatened, but I laughing in a teasing matter.

Once his mom was inside her house, Sun-Woo and I was finished all of our studying. We were going to talk to Jung Hwan about letting us borrow one of his English books, as Sun-Woo opened the door he steps back abruptly almost making me fall back. He was scared by Deok Seon practicing outside her house.

“What is this? They changed the outfits to hanboks?” He questioned to Deok Seon, as she was holding the sign.

“Yes. It’s pretty??” She asked him.“ No. It’s not.” I was just giggling in the background, then frowned remembering that I was going to wear that too. I smacked his arm, “Ya. Do you want to die???” I threatened him. He pulled my arm leading me into Jung Hwan’s house.

The days of practice for the Olympics started to countdown. I was excited to see my interview on the television, and I was going to record it for dad. I was fixing my hair and put a bit of makeup for the interview. After my interview, Deok Seon was called by the instructor stating it was her turn. I quickly put my gift, which was red lipstick, with a small note for her birthday in her backpack. She came back really sad, I was about to ask her what’s wrong. However, the tv in the back said that Madagascar pulled out to do a boycott. I was trying to comfort her saying that maybe she would replace some else who isn’t that good at holding the sign, but she ended up staying quiet for the rest of the day.