Chapter One

I Swear It Was Love

Chapter One

Current Date: September 2000

"Times are different now compared when I was young. Your father and I grew up together and stolen my heart without my knowing." I explained. "Mom tells us about you and dad" Joo-Hyun, my youngest child, cried out. "Yeah. How was dad back then? Was he always traveling? Because if he was traveling all the time, then I don't want to hear it ." Tae-Hyun complained. Tae-Hyun usually complains about his father being constantly away from home to go to the Baduk tournaments. The sound of a smack echoed throughout the living room and causing Joo-Hyun to giggle. " Ya! Respect your dad. His job requires him to travel."

 

Date: September 1988

1988.... The year of slip-on sneakers and denim clothing. That year, the walker had become one of the most desired items. I have a secret. A completely embarrassing one. Nobody knows about it. Dancing. I admit that I dance and sang my heart out in my room to SoBangCha's Please Tell Her For Me and Last Night. I tried to do the choreography, but I was always off a beat or landed wrong after the flips. My alarm clock crashed on the floor after failing yet another attempt. "I understand. Okay! Eun-Bi is a bad dancer. F*** clock!!" I yelled at my clock. I picked up the clock noticing that it was about to be four in the afternoon, and looked at the calendar. "!" I had realized that I was supposed to be at Taek's house in a few minutes. Footsteps echoed throughout the house from my room. I was currently running to get dress. I mean usually I don't care, but Taek has won another Baduk tournament. Taek is a genius about Baduk, however a total navie dork in love. He has not noticed my feelings for him. Sun-Woo, Dong-Ryoung, and Jung-Hwan noticed my crush on him years ago, yet he has not shown any attempts to accept or reject my feelings. I shook my head attempting to erase these thoughts from my head. I ran out of my house bumping into Sun-Woo. "Ya! Watch where you are going?" Sun-Woo is usually nice, however, I am very clumsy so he nagged me about being careful. We walked together to Taek's house, while yelling and cursing were heard from the door. It was probably Dong-Ryoung and Deok-Seon. "A Better Tomorrow 2!!!!" "No! We have watched it many times." In the end, we watched A Better Tomorrow 2. Deok-Sun has cornered him beating him with a pillow.

I was very into the movie, although we have repeatedly watched it. The tv screen displayed a newborn baby, when I got distracted by chips fly everywhere in the room. It was Dong-Ryoung, my friend who gives good advice about life. He tends to drag everyone to do different group activities together. "Sorry" he whispered out covering his head with his hands, while Jung-Hwan and I playfully glared at him. "Ya! Can't you eat later." I complained about helping Taek takeout chips from my hair. My eyes softened as we made eye contact and a small blush grew on my cheeks. I tend to be a bit violent, closed-off, and my stone cold expression, however, I have been able to be hostile to Taek. I was completely whipped for his light chocolate eyes and a small smile. A hand waved in front of my face and a concerned look appeared in front of me. I was daydreaming again. If only I could smack myself for acting like this. I turn to my right hiding my red cheeks. "Are you okay?" I hear Taek said. "Yeah. Fine." Sun-Woo raised an eyebrow and let out a small chuckle at my behavior. Sun-Woo was the first of my friends to notice my crush. I hid my bright red cheeks pulling my hair to my sides. Sun-Woo has a very close relationship comparable to a sister and brother. The ahjummas and ahjussis constantly tease Sun-Woo and me about being in a romantic relationship or how we should date. His mother is daily encouraged us to date, but we share too much in common. It would be like dating a twin brother. Sun-Woo and I are class presidents in our classes, and often tutor each other. He tutors me in math and science, while I help him in English and literature.

"Seriously! Why do you open the bag you bastard??" Jung Hwan also complained. Jung-Hwan and I share very similar personalities. We are seen as cold at times. He constantly supports me throughout any of my problems. "Get me a rag." Jung Hwan said to Taek. As Taek left to the kitchen, "Get me some steamed cake and milk also," Dong-Ryoung added on. I continue to glare at him, "Ya! Why are you ordering him?". I stand up and went to help Taek get the rag, while he continues to put food on the tray. I waited for him to finish noticing dark eye bags on his face. Sighing I begin to curse him inside my head. "Taek. Do I have to force you to sleep? When is the last time you have slept? I swear if the eye bags don't get better I will take away your Baduk set." I said coldly daring him to give me a wrong response, while he flinched. I am that scaring, you know what that shouldn't matter. A concerned look overtook my expression knowing that he spent hours practicing Baduk and uses sleeping pills often. He was about to respond but was interrupted by shouting. "I didn't get to hear what they said!" It was Deok-Seon. Our friendship is quite ironic seeing that we are opposites. She is seen as a bright sun that loves to sing and dance. Bora, Deok Seon, and I are the only girls living in the block, thus I usually go to Bora unnie and Deok Seon for girl advice.

"What is the baby's name?!" I kept hearing her complain yelling at the boys, however, I turn to Taek wondering if he was going to respond. "Eun-bi... I am really fine. I couldn't sleep on the plane." Taek responding, my eyes look at him suspiciously. I began to walk back to the room. "You coming?" I turn to him noticing he was not following me. The clock ticked to six in the afternoon. It was the time for dinner, and the ahjummas of the block began to yell out my friends' name for dinner. "Kim Jung Hwan, Let's eat!!... Deok-Seon Dinner!!..Sun-Woo!!" I stood there in silence until my friends' mom finished calling out their names and they hurried out of Taek's house. I ended up imagining my mother calling my name for dinner. My tears fell onto my cheeks, as I began to aggressively wipe them away. I should be used to her death by now. Taek was staring at me wiping my tears. "Don't tell nobody." Grabbing two rice cakes and began to walk out of his house. Hearing footsteps quickly heading towards me. I turn to see Taek grabbing my hand pulling me into his chest. I look at his eyes that hypnotize me until he began to lean forward closely the space between us. The rice cakes were forgotten and fell on the floor as our lips was a breathe away from each other.

"Son, let's eat." We were interrupted by Taek's dad walking into the house, Choi Moo-Sung. I pushed Taek away from me embarrassed that his dad saw us."Oh... Eun-bi... you can stay for dinner if you want?" His face turns to Taek, as I kept my eyes on the floor. "It's okay..ahjussi.I can eat at home." I stuttered out overwhelm. "Dad prepare another plate for Eun-bi. She is staying for dinner." Taek quickly responded to his dad, while beginning to drag me by the hand to the kitchen table. I was left speechless by Taek's actions, and our hands continue to be connected. Taek's dad came back looking at our hands questionable. I yank my hand out of Taek's hold and look down embarrassed. What are you doing to me Taek? My cheek remained red shined against my stone cold expression. I felt Taek looking at me. "Eun-Bi..." He began to say. "Ahjussi!!.. My mom sends food." My friends yelled from the front gates of the house causing ahjussi to leave us alone. "Taek..." "Eun-Bi" We both stated. I looked at his red cheeks and lean over slowly. Wandering if he was going to stop me. I softly kiss his cheek near his lips. As he begins to grow a small smile, his hand reaches for mine. The house door opened as ahjussi walks in struggling to hold the plates of food. I walk over help him and grab two plates from him. My friends' mothers have sent food over filling up the table. It was a bit funny and considered of the moms to send out my friends to exchange a plate of food, but my friends constantly complained about it. Envy starts to crawl into my stomach; I wish my mother was alive. When I was young, my mom was in and out of the hospital for cancer treatments. After about two years of treatment, she died. My dad and I reacted differently, but similar in a way. We both immersed ourselves in our duties to distract us from the pain. I focus more on studying, while my dad took on more casework. In the holidays, the house was lonely. Sun-Woo and Jung-Hwan took me into their houses to celebrate. Nothing has changed. I hardly see my dad. Notes from my dad randomly appear in front of the refrigerator. I leave notes for him also. Some were just basic needs such as the school's fees."Taek will bring you back home after..." "No... it is okay... I can walk by myself...Taek needs to rest.." I stuttered out with a small blush. If my friends saw me now, they would tease me and laugh until they died. I am usually confident. "I will bring you back to your house. It is not that far anyway. You should not walk in the dark alone." Taek declared and faced me daring me to reject his offer. "Oh..Eun-bi... I hear from the neighbors that you and Deok Seon got picked to hold a sign for the Olympics" Taek father mentioned. "Yes. I was going to reject the offer, because of my school work. Deok Seon and my other friends at school convinced me saying that they will give me the homework and their notes to study from. I am representing Australia, and Deok Seon is holding Madagascar." I reply to him. "Drink a lot of water," Taek commented. I turn to face him, that was strange. Taek usually stays quiet and listens for these types of conservations.

After dinner, Taek and I excused ourselves to Taek's dad. I walked ahead of Taek questioning everything that had happened. Why is he acting so strange? I did not notice that Taek's hand slip onto my hand grabbing it tightly. I return the gesture causing him to stare at me. "Stop staring," I said embarrassed about my red cheeks, but he began to chuckle. I turned to face his eyes and everything else became blurring. The shouting from Deok-Seon and Bo-Ra unnie became mute when he became to grab my waist tightly. Putting my hand on his neck. Leaning forward. The moment I was waiting for happened. I did not know if the minutes had passed. The only thing I knew was Taek's soft lips brushing against mine. When we separate, I grabbed his hand leading him to sit on the stairs. I sat near him and resisted the temptation to kiss his lips again. "What is this Taek?" I whisper to him while looking at the floor. "I don't know..." "I mean I thought I like... and you looked sad...I just wanted to distract you..." My eyes were beginning to feel watery. He kept talking, but I didn't bother to hear any more. "Ok. Understood." I looked away and walked upstairs slowly. What are you doing? I stand still and waited in front of my house gates for him to come. To chase after me. A few minutes pass. Tears began to fall down to the ground. My mind shouted at me what was I hoping for, while my heart began silently crying. He only felt pity for you. "Bye Taek."