Chapter 2

IZ*ONE UNIVERSITY
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Its Monday afternoon and the friends decided to meet after their classes on their regular spot reserved exclusively for the prefects on the Café inside the university.

 

“Minjoo unnie, so how did it go? did you get any information about Master Chaeyeon last week?” Yuri fervently asked Minjoo, hoping the latter get some important information she needs for the magazine.

 

“I think Yujin is bluffing and she didn’t really totally pay attention to the questions, take a look on my notes. I think it’s not worthy enough to be published in our school magazine” Minjoo replied while passing her notes to Yuri.

 

“You can’t really trust someone if it is Yujin. I told you she is pretty useless, most of the time she never takes everything seriously, istg she is really an unreliable narrator and she freely swim in her pool full of lies” Wonyoung nonchalantly said, while sipping her juice.

 

“I can’t believe you are slandering your own girlfriend” Minjoo faked gasps, while laughing at Wonyoung’s remark on Yujin, as if they’re not in a relationship.

 

“Eottoke? Chaeyeon’s too private and mysterious and she’s the hardest senior prefect to get an exclusive interview with. I’m doomed, why am I even tasked to Chaeyeon for this month’s COLOR*IZ magazine cover story.” Yuri depressingly massage her head and drinks her juice in one shot.

 

“We knew Lee Chaeyeon for years as our co-prefect, but we haven’t really socialized with them that much despite going to same events and ceremonies from time to time. I swear, I still even find myself a bit nervous whenever she’s around” Minju explains, making Yuri like a troubled hamster.

 

“Minju unnie was right. Although, I always hang up with them whenever Yujin invites me on private events and parties, but Chaeyeon unnie didn’t really talk that much to anyone. Well except Eunbi unnie, they’re best of friends.” Wonyoung explains further, making Yuri even more anxious than she ever was.

 

“What did I get myself into?” Yuri sighs and stares blankly.

 

“Joguri, we’ve already juiced the Young Master Yujin like what you’ve asked us to do but look what happened, still nothing. I even put my relationship on the line here, Yujinie even thought I like Chaeyeon unnie you already know how childish she can get. Yena is your only hope unnie” Wonyoung finds a way to unnie, they all know the two were dating but it seems the hamster-duck duo is not in good terms yet.

 

“No, Thank you! I don’t need a help coming from a duck. She’s really annoying and she didn’t even introduce me to her friends, so I will do the same” Yuri exasperatingly replied.

 

“Then that leaves you to the most obvious solution for this matter” Wonyoung stated like Yuri already knew the most obvious answer while browsing back on her MacBook.

 

“So that means I have to arranged an interview on the ever cold and distant Great Lee Chaeyeon all by myself?” Yuri alarmingly said like it is impossible to happen in her lifetime.

 

“Good answer Yul and sorry, we can’t help you any further” Minju rubs Yuri’s back soothingly like it’s only the help she could do for the latter in such situation.

 

“Daebak! Chaeyeon unnie will compete on archery and polo the upcoming University Summer Olympics.” Wonyoung excitedly tells Minju and Yuri.

 

“Jinjja?” Yuri immediately scrambles and settle next to Wonyoung.

 

“That’s great we can see Master Chaeyeon play again.” Minju follows looking briefly on the post, then settles back on her seat.

 

“Wow! It’s trending now on school forum and social media accounts” Wonyoung gasps scrolling the amount of post and comments about Lee Chaeyeon.

 

“What do you expect Lee Chaeyeon is the hottest star player in our universtiy” Minju proclaims with a proud look on her face.

 

“This is the last year we get to see her, she’s already a senior and she’ll be graduating soon along with the other popular seniors” Yuri state that earns pouts from Wonyoung and Minjoo.

 

“True. Thinking about it will only breaks my heart. We need to get there an hour early to secure good seats” Minjoo respond and immediately countered her sad thoughts by suggesting to get the good seats during Chaeyeon’s game.

 

“Leave it to me guys. I have the Ahn and Choi on leash, our seats will be safe” Wonyoung confidently guaranteed her friends, while typing her girlfriend a message/threat right away.

 

“Kim Minjoo, I didn’t think you’d be so smitten” Yuri give Minjoo a playful smirk.

 

“Of course, it’s Lee Chaeyeon. I’ve downloaded every photo that our school page and social media has released. I even have video clips of the competitions she won in academic, performing arts and sports. She’s an archer, polo player, racer, all-around elite grade S student and performer. If the school publishes rankings like in talents, she would be number one in all sorts of skills” Minjoo responds dreamily while thinking about how admirable and talented Chaeyeon is.

 

“Minguri, you sure have substance. I only look at the face and the body” Yuri grins while shaking her head on the totally whipped frog in front of her.

 

“Chaeyeon is a well-bred socialite, in this school where there is a lot of snobbery going on because many of them feel very insecure about themselves, because they are in an environment where it is hard to stand out and everyone is just too rich, too smart, too talented and high achieving. I never see or heard anything about her being arrogant stuck up person in front of other people. Although, she’s sometimes withdrawn and meticulous that didn’t make her less attractive or less desirable”.

 

“You will never really understand what goes on in the minds of geniuses” Wonyoung playfully respond, while she continues to reply her girlfriend’s message.

 

“I always feel like we’re not in the same school as Kim Minjoo and we are the only people here sharing one brain cell Wonyoung-ah” while Yuri dramatically leans on Wonyoung.

 

“What a cruel world” Wonyoung joins Yuri’s antics and made a fake sob.

 

“I’m surely lonely and left out in the cold” Minjoo melodramatically responds joining Yuri and Wonyoung’s acting scene.

 

“by the way unnie, did you find your brooch already?” Yuri snapped pulling the three of them back to reality.

 

“I haven’t yet. I think I have to report it to the university council as soon as possible. I’ve totally lost my mind about it after the family dinner last night” Minjoo explains, she tried retracing back her steps but can’t remember where she left her brooch.

 

“Did something happen?” Wonyoung curiosly asked, because when a person lost his/her mind over family dinner that means there’s a big revelation, it’s a traditional #richfamilyproblems. What else do you expect?

 

“I think I will be going to meet my soon to be fiancée, my family discussed about it over dinner” Minjoo nonchalantly disclosed it to her friends.

 

“YOU WHAT?” Yuri and Wonyoung spat at the same time, they might always hear it from their other acquaintances having fiancée and all, but they never except to hear it coming from their friend, Minjoo.

 

“I’m sorry, if I haven’t told you about my pre-arranged marriage. My father's grandparents already promise me into a marriage when I was young and it’s for keeping our family's elite social standing and long family traditions. I believed you know how that works, right?” Minjoo explains and feeling sorry for not telling her friends about it.

 

“Gosh! I can’t believe it, but are you okay unnie?” Wonyoung worriedly asks.

 

“Don’t worry, I was aware of this arrangement since then. I just didn’t think that it will come this early.” Minjoo respond fully accepting her fate that soon enough she’ll be a wife and part of another family.

 

“Do you have any clue who’s your soon-to-be fiancée?” Yuri curiously asks.

 

“My family haven’t disclosed the identity of this person yet” Minjoo calmly said masking her curiosity, because she’s been hell curious and anxious as well about the identity of her fiancée.

 

“Are you excited? Or perhaps nervous? How do you still managed to be so calm and composed after all this?” Yuri can’t take it anymore, she feels even more anxious for her friend.

 

“Honestly, I don’t know what to feel. I still have a lot of what ifs in my mind” Minjoo honestly replied as she sighs.

 

“Anyways, I do believe your family choose a good match for you. I think this fiancée of yours will take care of you, I can feel it” Wonyoung positively said to brighten up the mood of her unnies.

 

“I don’t know how this entire arranged marriage works though. Everything feels weird” Minjoo adds “Ugh enough of the marriage talk, by the way what number did you both picked up for the upcoming University Acquaintance Festival?” She changed the topic and smile sweetly to cut the dull atmosphere around them, when she noticed the gloomy faces of her friends.

 

“I picked number 1” Wonyoung answered

 

“Mine was number 3” Yuri said, as she takes a look on the rolled paper she retrieved in her coat’s pocket

 

“I got number 11. I wonder who will be our partners among the prefects during the festival” Minjoo said while rolling off the piece to show her number to her friends as well.

 

“I hope it’s not Yujin” Wonyoung playfully remarks earning laughs from the two.

 

“Yup! I don’t need a duck though you can take her” Yuri follow through

 

“You surely both have this love and hate relationship with Yujin and Yena. I’m so new to this kind of concept” Minjoo states shaking her head to her friends.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

University Acquaintance Festival Rules:

The students from A to F class will pick random numbers from 13th and beyond. It will be recorded by the university council.

The Elite Prefects have the privileged to picked their random pairs among themselves through the same process. That means numbers 1 to 12, will be reserved to the prefects and was off limits for the other students to have.

Students who picked odd numbers will be paired to the next student with even numbers on the list and vice versa.

They will be together with their partners during the entire festival to get acquainted to each other.

It’s required for the students to match colors of their clothes with their pairs.

The contact details of your pair will be confidently disclosed to you privately by the council. Students were allowed to contact their partners, but were not allowed to meet each other before the event.

The event is highly traditional and keeping the rules is part of keeping the thrill to get acquainted to other students and meet potential friends during the festival.

_______________________________________________________________

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter