O N E / 2

Wonder Where Your Heart Came From?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
C H A P T E R

1

They Might Be Half Human But They're Nothing Like Us 2:3

 

"If I ever see you or your friends around my shop again I'll have you locked up!" The old store clerk grumbled after counting the money Jisung handed over, it was enough to cover the two packet of cigarettes Changbin stole and interest for what Chan had done to the old mans shop. The snack shelf still sat toppled over as two employees hovered over it, picking up the scattered merchandise.

It was all Jisung had left for the month, he'd have to wait until the next month for his government paycheck. The checks were never nearly enough to cover basic human essentials but thankfully he had his friends. And he'd be sure to have them pay him back for this.

Jisung bowed ninety degrees, hands held tight against his stomach as the old man turned and walked back into the store.

With a sigh Jisung straightened and turned to his left where a familiar figure stood with the Mech that had chased him and his friends not even half an hour ago. Jisung watched as she overrode the AI's mainframe and erased all the footage it had obtained of he and his friends. When she finished, Kwon Minah sent the Mech off to continue patrolling the streets and turned to face him.

Although she was small at just five foot three, Jisung himself was shorter than the average male. As a result, they were close in height, separated by a mere two inches. They stood face to face, a few feet apart from each other. He met her eyes and bowed slightly.

"Thank you for your help. I'll try not to get you involved again."

Minah smiled gently and wrapped a loose hand around Jisungs elbow, "It's not a problem Jisung, I'm glad I could help."

He nodded awkwardly as she let go of his arm and allowed himself to take an actual good look at her. Beneath her officers cap she had long, charcoal black waves tied back in a tight ponytail. She had pale skin that contrasted her soft pink lips and her brightly rouged cheeks stood out against her dark police officers uniform. There was a shyness to her, a subtle hesitation in her body movements that Jisung wondered if only he could see, considering he was one of the only people who knew her well. Her black suit had a tailored look that was almost too bold against her porcelain skin.

Jisung hadn't seen Minah for a couple months now but he could still remember her in dirty jeans and a ragged t-shirt, feet up on the couch as she wrestled playfully with his older brother. The contrast between the girl standing before him and the girl in his memories was alarming so Jisung nodded his appreciation once more and gathered to go. He wouldn't be seeing her again any time soon if he could keep his friends in line, but that was alright. She didn't need to be associated with the likes of him, not anymore.

"How have you been?" She asked abruptly, stopping him short. She suddenly looked desperate to keep him there, if only for a minute longer. Jisung didn't know if it was the nostalgia in the air she was trying to hold on to or if it was his resemblance to his brother that captivated her.

He'd noticed in the last few months just how similar he actually was to Brian and it spooked even him sometimes. Jisung couldn't imagine what was going through her mind now. He glanced down and kicked the pavement, shrugging.

"It's been a while since we had an actual conversation, don't you think? Whenever I see you nowadays you always need rescuing. And while I'm cleaning up after you it never leaves us any time to catch up."

"Sorry." He apologized half-heartedly.

"Don't worry about it, I'll be here for as long as you need me. Still, it would be nice if we could have an actual conversation, like the ones we used to have."

Jisung didn't bother reminding her that those conversations she spoke of had always been led by his older brother. Brian had been the brains and spirit of their misfit trio. The leader, the rock, their motivation to make it through another day in this forsaken world. When he'd died the conversations between Jisung and Minah became so scarce that it was as if he had been left completely alone.

When she realized Jisung had no intentions of saying anything any time soon she continued, "Are you still living in that old apartment?" She asked softly, it almost came out as a whisper and Jisung guessed he knew why that was. He used to live in that old house with her and his brother, but after his brother died and she moved away there were only ghosts to come home to. Echoes of the past that liked to torme

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter