In Which The Dragon Enters His Lair

The Dragon's Lair

image

You could hardly believe that it had only been a week since you’d met Namjoon and discovered a whole new world. The two of you had decided to wait until the weekend for him to move in, giving him time to wrap up his classes and say goodbye to his friends since he’d be away from the center for a while for a bonding period with you. It also gave you a chance to prepare your home, although you were still pretty confused about how the hell you were supposed to prepare for a Dragon. You’d settled on just making sure there were the basics in his room; bed, dresser, desk, and a laptop. You’d take him shopping for whatever else he wanted later. 

The two of you had also used this time to get to know each other a little more. You rushed over after finishing your work for the day, and you’d watch him teach a class. He taught literature and music production for fun, but helped with the classes that covered hybrid health and law as well. After his class, the two of you would hang out in the exotic wing’s playroom, watching movies or playing with the other hybrids, or go to his room where he showed you books he’d been reading or whatever shiny thing had caught his eye in the yard that day. He was such a beautiful old soul, and you gravitated towards him he was an oasis in the desert. 

The more you got to know Namjoon, the more excited you got about bringing him home and starting a life with him. He was smart and passionate, caring of his hybrid friends, so sweet and shy. Honestly, the more you thought about it, the crazier it was that he hadn’t been grabbed before this and was settling for someone like you. Not that you were willing to give him up. They’d have to fight you now. 

You’re practically skipping as you make your way into the now familiar lobby of The Fairy Pawmother, sharing a smile and a wave with the regular hybrids that hung around the area helping customers and potential adopters. Heechul is in his usual spot behind the front desk, smirking over your obvious excitement. 

“Either you’ve become a bunny hybrid, or it’s Saturday,” Heechul chuckled, pulling out Namjoon’s file. 

“Todays the day! Is everything ready? Did he change his mind?”

“Are you serious? That kid has been ready to go since six am. I had to force him to eat because he was too excited, and he’s been sitting on the couch with his bags for hours. I’m almost insulted he’s so ready to leave me.” 

You snort, accepting one of the papers he hands you to sign. 

“You know he’s going to be coming back to help with classes and to see his friends after the bonding period.” 

“Still not the same. Be good to my baby.” Heechul fakes a tear, and the two of you chuckle. “I’ll have someone load his things into your car for you. Let’s finish signing these and go get him before he comes barreling down the stairs and hurts himself.” 

Once the paperwork is all completed, he takes your arm to you to the exotics wing. You take the chance to ask him something that had been on your mind, but you hadn’t wanted to upset Namjoon by asking him. 

“Hey, so I was just wondering why Namjoon was here for so long? He’s so amazing, and I mean, I can’t possibly be the best person to come along.” 

“I don’t know about that, but he actually was adopted once, a long time ago. It’s all in the copy of his files that I’ll be giving you today. I believe he was...five? They brought him back when he was seven. I was really upset about that. I’d had this off feeling when they met, but Namjoon was so excited to have a home that I let it go.” 

“Seven? Poor thing. Did they say why?” 

“They couldn’t handle him, they said. Probably expected him to act like a dog hybrid when he’s a dragon. I assume you won’t make that mistake.” 

“I hope not. I’ve been trying to do research, but there’s not much out there about dragons besides that they like shiny things and dumb jokes about how humans are tasty with ketchup. There’s absolutely nothing about dragon hybrids.” 

“That’s because he’s been the only one in thousands of years.” 

That fact brought you up short and gave you a whole new set of worries. Mainly, that there was no way for you to ask others if you had problems. Except for Heechul, but he was overly fond of vague answers. You’d have to rely on Namjoon being honest and open about his needs. So far nothing hinted that this would be too hard, but it was still worrisome. 

There was also the fact that this meant he was completely alone and had no one that really understood him as a dragon hybrid. He had his other exotic friends, and they could relate on some levels, but as far as being a dragon he had only himself. 

“Wait, if he’s the only one in thousands of years, how was he born?” 

“Just caught that did you? It’s all a bit complicated for the mortal mind, honestly. Let’s just say that there are souls out there deserving of a good life, some that have been here before, and not all of them are human. They are granted a chance to be reborn and adapt to be more accepted into the current world.” 

“So he was reincarnated? But where are his parents?” 

“Oh, that’s basically me. Namjoon came to me as a lovely gold and silver egg.”

“An egg. He was freaking hatched?” 

“Well, he is a dragon, remember?” 

“So someone just put a shiny egg on your doorstep, and you let it hatch?” 

“It was more like it shimmered into existence in the nest I have set up in my room for such things.” 

“Right. Shimmered. Got it.” 

You didn’t get it. 

Heechul patted you on the head, and you could practically hear the There, there, you dumb human.

“Namjoon’s great, though.” Heechul continued. “Very smart, I’m sure you’ve noticed. He likes to talk things through, so he’ll probably let you know what you need to know. I think the thing those people had a problem with the most was the hoarding.” 

“I saw stuff about dragon hoards, but I didn’t realize he’d do that too.” 

“Oh yeah, although Namjoon is easy. His current obsession is those Ryan teddy bear dolls. Last count there were at least sixty-three of them covering his bed, and he slept in them like a nest. Frankly, it's adorable. He still has the urge for all things shiny, but I think Namjoon is the sort of dragon whose hoard will end up being more...sentimental.” 

You recalled seeing a few of them in his room before, not nearly the amount Heechul had described though. He must have started packing them away the moment you’d met. 

You finally reached the floor where the exotic rooms were kept, making your way towards the now familiar room at the end of the hall. 

You peek into the room with a grin. “Hey, you.”  

Namjoon was sitting on his twin sized bed, that was now stripped bare, kicking his legs back and forth with a large gold velvet bag sitting next to him. His eyes shoot to meet yours, jaw dropping in shock before melting into the sunniest smile. He was absolutely beaming as he jumped up and hugged you, practically crushing your smaller frame to his. 

“You came! I...wasn't sure. I hoped, but...thank you.” 

You pulled back, patting his cheek gently. “Of course I came. You’re stuck with me now, buddy. Sorry.” 

“I’ll try to live with that,” he giggles, lowering his head shyly. 

“All ready to go?” you ask, taking a moment to scan the room. It seemed he’d done an excellent job of clearing everything from his room, except for whatever was in the giant Christmasy looking bag. 

“Yeah. Just this. I, uh, didn’t want anyone taking my Ryans down. I wanted to take them myself. Do you have room for them still?” 

“Yeah! Of course. Heechul told me how much to expect, so there should be plenty of room in the back seat, and you’ll still be able to keep an eye on the bag from the passenger side. Is that alright?”

“Yes, thank you. I’m sorry for being a bother.” 

“Hey, you’re not. It’s really fine, Namjoon. Honestly, I get it. I have an Avengers collection at home, and I would probably have a panic attack over anyone else trying to move it.” 

Namjoon chuckles, nodding in understanding. “I didn’t know you liked those types of movies. Who is your favorite Avenger?”

“James Barnes.” 

“Does he count as an Avenger? Wasn’t he a bad guy? I know they tried to fix him up before he fought in the last one, but does that make him an Avenger?” 

“Are we about to have our first fight? I will fight you over Bucky,” you smirk up at him as he grabs his giant bag of plushies. 

Namjoon’s stunning amber eyes glint with undisguised amusement. “Duly noted. Bucky is an Avenger. I know how to pick my battles.” 

“Good boy.” 

Namjoon’s cheeks flush at the words, and you hope that wasn’t too far. You were just teasing, but it could be taken either good or bad. You settle for clearing your throat with a small smile and letting Heechul chat with Namjoon as he guides you both back to the lobby. 

Heechul and Namjoon discuss the lesson plan Namjoon had prepared for the classes in his absence. You allow them their time as you all wander through the halls, using the time to build a mental list of things that Namjoon might need. 

You’re startled out of your thoughts when fingers softly touch yours, and you glance up to see Namjoon has moved the bag to hang off of one shoulder, leaving one hand free and was tentatively trying to hold yours. You smile reassuringly and pull him a little closer, lacing your fingers together firmly. 

Heechul walks with the two of you all the way to your car, opening the door for Namjoon to gently secure his collection in the back. 

“Well, I’ll see you in a month, Namjoon. I wish you the best of luck. You know where to find me if you need me, but somehow I’m sure you won’t.” Heechul pulls him in for a quick hug, and no one acknowledged that the man’s eyes looked suspiciously watery. 

You both got in the car and waved to Heechul one last time, clasping your hands back together as you drove off. 

“Let’s go home.” 

image

You pull up to your house about a half hour later, watching Namjoon inspect it out of the corner of your eye. You can’t help smiling to yourself over the fact that he could barely hold himself still. He was practically bouncing in his seat as he looked at every bit of the outside he could see. 

“Here we are. I know it doesn’t seem like my style, but my Grandparents built this place, and it didn’t feel right to repaint or anything,” you explain as you both grab a couple boxes and his bag of plushies and lead him up the grey bricked path to the buttercream yellow and ivory painted farmhouse

“This place is huge,” Namjoon wide eyes travel over every bit of the house and the land around it. “You didn’t tell me you lived on a farm.” 

You chuckle, using your knee to balance the boxes on while you unlock the beautifully carved oak and glass windowed front door. 

“It’s not really a farm anymore. They sold off the big chunks of land years ago when it became apparent there was only me to inherit, and I am no farmer. I’m already struggling enough trying to keep Grandma’s flowers and kitchen garden alive. We just have a little barn and some penned up areas in case I ever want to get, I dunno, goats or something. There is the big forest behind our house past the pool; that’s technically mine. Not much I can do with it, but I didn’t want to sell it off and have some corporate s come in and build a carwash behind me or something. I used to go exploring in it as a kid and pretend I was Snow White.” 

“Why Snow White?” 

“Oh, because there were a few squirrels and a couple of deer that got used to me and would let me pet them or give them treats. So, to a little girl, that means I’m obviously Snow White.” 

Namjoon laughs and follows you into the house, and you lead him up the steps to the room that sits next to yours. You set the boxes down near the massive king sized bed and gesture grandly around the room. 

“Here are your quarters, sir.” 

Namjoon quirks an eyebrow as he sets his things down, shaking his head. 

“Yeah, you’re right. That was cheesy as ,” you giggle. “Anyway, it’s nothing special right now. I wanted you to be able to pick what you wanted, so I just got the basics. We can go to a home goods place to pick out everything else you’ll need. Bookcase, blankets, bathroom goods, all that.” 

“It’s so big!” Namjoon wandered around, poking his head into the closet and the bathroom. 

“You’re kind of a big guy, so,” you chuckle, watching him plop on the bed and bounce as he smiles up at you. “I gave you the biggest room available, besides mine. I’m right next door. There are three other rooms if you wanted to choose a different one.” 

Namjoon shook his head. “No, this one is great. Big and bright. More than I thought I’d ever get. Thank you.” 

“You’re welcome, sweetheart,” you blush as soon as the words leave your mouth. You hadn’t meant to say it, but your head to mouth filter always seemed to malfunction around Namjoon. 

He didn’t seem to find anything amiss with it though since he continued playing on the mattress. You clear your throat and walk back towards the door. 

“So, I’ll leave you to unpack your things and make a list of what else you’ll need. Don’t worry about cost or anything; it’s best if we just take care of the big stuff now so you’re comfortable.  Forgive my ignorance, but will we need to go by a hybrid store for unscented things? I know the other hybrids are into scent marking their stuff but is that important for you too?” 

Namjoon rubs the back of his neck. “Uh, yeah. That would be nice. I can get pretty territorial. Um, but not in a bad way! Don’t worry. I just...need to protect my den?” 

“It’s cool. I understand that you don’t exactly have a guide and you get by instinctually, so whatever makes you feel comfortable and fulfills whatever urges you get, we’ll do. As long as it’s not like, burning the mailman. Let’s avoid that. He brings me cookies every Christmas.” 

Namjoon chuckles silently, shoulders bouncing as he shakes his head. “Got it. No crisping the mailman.” 

“So you really shoot flames?” You raise your eyebrows in surprise, having expected for at least that to not be a real thing.

“Sort of? It’s not like, dragons in the movies kind of flames, or all the time. Twice a year, in the spring and late summer, I run even hotter than usual. Like, so hot that the first time it happened, I thought I was dying. And I get really protective of my hoard and can get a little aggressive? I don’t really mean it, it’s just the hormones and stuff.” He glances up at you like he’s begging you to understand, and you have a feeling this is a sore spot for him.

You nod and pet his shoulder a bit to let him know you understood and didn’t blame him. He seemed to get the hint and relaxed his shoulders, continuing his story.

“Anyway, one year we had a new hybrid in the center, and he heard me shouting and came to check on me. I guess no one warned him not to. And in my hormone driven mind, he was coming after my hoard, so I screamed at him. I could feel my throat expand and my mouth suddenly tasted weird as something coated the inside like mucus. And then, to everyone’s surprise, I shot what was basically a fireball at him. Singed off his eyebrow, but he thought it was so cool we became friends. Jackson is awesome. I can’t wait for you to meet him.” 

“Sure. You know, that kinda like your..heat season? I don’t know what it would be called for you.” 

“Me either. Heat or rut is a dog and cat thing. Everything online is just for snakes and stuff, and they just call it mating season. Heechul hyung calls it a rut to make it easy for everyone, so we can just keep calling it that I guess.” 

“Okay, I guess we’ll...discuss that stuff more later. We have a few months before Spring,” you try to hide your blush as you realize you’re going to have to figure out arrangements for that. You’ll have time to ask Heechul, you suppose. 

“Anyway, make your list, and we’ll go get you taken care of.” 

“Thank you, Y/N.” 

You nod and smile softly at him, leaving him to settle in. 

image

Many hours later, you both get home exhausted and ready for bed after such a long day. You’d insisted on buying him everything his eyes landed on just a little too long. He now had a beautiful royal blue and silver bedding set, everything he could possibly need for his bathroom, and a new Ryan plushie that you’d insisted on buying him. He’d maintained he didn’t need it, but you’d seen the way he clutched it tightly to him and narrowed his gaze on anyone that got too close to it. 

There was still plenty more he’d need, but the big stuff like the bookcases would be delivered, and there was plenty of time to get whatever else he needed later. 

You help him make the bed after washing the new set and stand back to observe as he adds his Ryans one by one with painstaking care. The newest one you’d bought him seems to have a place of honor next to his pillow. 

“I’ll leave you to your rest. I’m beat. Night, Joonie. I’m so happy you’re finally here,” you say softly, reaching up to peck his flushed cheek before you head to your own room. 

You’d finally started to drift off a bit when you heard your door creak, and a light tap sounded in the silence. 

“Y/N, I’m sorry, but are you awake?” 

“’S’matter Namjoon?” you slur, struggling to come back to awareness. 

“Um...it’s just. I can’t sleep? I’ve tried so hard but...”

You sit up slowly, rubbing your eyes a bit. “Oh, yeah. New environment. That happened when I went to summer camp a few times. Couldn’t sleep well for the first three days. Uh, if you’d be comfortable with it, you’re free to sleep here.” 

You hear a shuffling sound coming closer in the darkness. 

“Are you sure? It’s not weird? I just...have this urge like somethings missing in my hoard and I know there’s not.” 

“Maybe I should try sleeping in there then, so you’re not away from it?” 

“Would you?” Namjoon’s nearly breathless excitement at the suggestion settled that. You hummed sleepily as you got up and waved around for his hand in the darkness. He saw better in the dark, you guessed, because he latched on easily and gently dragged you to his room. 

He flipped down the blankets and helped you get under them, arranging his plushies so they wouldn’t be in your way but still close. He snuggled in close when he was done, inhaling loudly before releasing a pleased sigh. 

“You can cuddle if you need to. It’s cold in here, and you feel like a damn furnace,” you mumble into the pillow as you settle in. 

He wraps his arm around you slowly, like he’s worried you’ll change your mind. Eventually, he relaxes, and you find yourself completely wrapped in his long limbs. You giggle when you hear his pleased rumbling. 

“Better?” 

“This is perfect. The weird tickle I get when something is wrong with my hoard is gone.” 

“Does that mean I’m part of it now? Not sure how I feel being compared to a Ryan doll.” 

Namjoon huffs a laugh against your hair. 

“Would it bother you if you were a part of it? It seems kind of possessive, I guess. I don’t want to scare you off already.” 

“No. Its...kinda nice, actually.” 

Namjoon rumbles again, the vibrations strangely calming as you burrow close to his chest. Your last thought is that if you had to belong to anyone, you were glad it was him.

image