The Hidden Feeling

Can This Be Real?

(At GO cafeteria)

Jackson: Annyeong-haseyo, Team Leader Lee!  You look pretty as always! Sit with us!!

JB (silently to himself): There he goes again……. (while waving at Team Leader Lee)

Lee Soon-kyu, also known as Sunny, is the team leader of the company’s marketing department, and one of a few people who JB is close to.

Sunny (to Jackson): Why are you here again? Do you even work?

Jackson: Why do you guys always ask me this question? Are you not happy to see me?

Sunny (jokingly): Not like unhappy but not that happy either

Jackson pouts, and Sunny and JB almost react by hitting him.

Sunny: Why are you two always together? Just get married you two.

JB: he and me? No way, noona! Not even in next lives.

Jackson: Ya, that hurts my feelings (rubbing his chest and then trying to hug JB playfully)

JB pushes his body backwards to avoid it and accidentally bumps into someone behind him, causing all the dishes in the man’s tray to drop and spill slightly on his trousers.

JB (jumping out of guilt): I am so sorry. Are you okay?

Man (gently): No no don’t worry about it. I am fine.

JB looks up at the man’s face and freezes. Oh that guy?

Jackson: Oh aren’t you with Ir…. (JB puts kimchi into Jackson’s mouth to stop him from talking)

And both JB and Jackson are right. The man is the one with Irene the other day. He is probably the most handsome man JB has seen in his life. With a clean crew cut, his eyes are sparkling and his smile is so much brighter than JB’s future.

Sunny: Aigoo. Bogum ya. (slowly brushing off the food from the man’s trousers) Are you okay? Go clean up. These kids are always like this.. So careless…

As the man slowly moves his way to the restroom to clean himself up, JB asks Sunny, “Noona, who is he?

Sunny: Oh his name is Park Bogum. He is from my team and everyone likes him because he’s so nice...and handsome too (chuckles)

JB: Does he have a girlfriend?

Sunny and Jackson look at JB, thinking “What a question.”

JB pauses and speaks, “No no I mean.. Yeah I was just wondering since you said he’s handsome.”

Sunny and Jackson (leaning towards JB and whispers): Are you gay? (and then they can’t stop laughing for the next 2 minutes)

JB chokes on his food and quickly leaves the scene out of embarrassment.

***

(that night at BaeChu Bakery)

An uninvited guest pops up at the bakery, and Irene is not entirely happy with the visit.

Irene: Why are you here?

JB: Lets talk.

Irene: You can’t just show up like this, ok? Next time, just call.

JB: It’s that because of your hidden boyfriend?

JB could feel his heart pounding. Why am I so nervous, he thought.

Irene: Yeah.

JB: ……….

He is speechless by the candid response. He’s expecting some kind of hesitation and explanation but “yeah” is all he got.

JB: alright so umm immm Are you breaking up with him?

Irene: Of course, not. Ok JaeBoem shi, I have no intention to mess up my personal life just for this joke (engagement).

JB: joke? Do you know how important that is to me!?

Baekhyun (looking at the duo from the kitchen): Gosh! Keep your voice down! There are people inside.

Irene (ignoring Baekhyun): That’s your problem. I am just doing it because I don’t want to disobey my dad this time. And if you release information about him or my bakery to the public, this engagement contract is over.

JB: Do you think he will be able to accept this engagement news??

Irene: That’s not your problem as well. Ok I am busy. Next time, just call. Actually, we have nothing to talk anyways.

JB: I am busy too!

Baekhyun (coming out of the kitchen): Ahhh Gosh! So annoying. Just leave!

JB: What an unlucky day! (and he left)

***

JB’s secret mission has begun at his office. He wants to find out more about this man Park Bogum. Jackson suggests that he should just go talk to Bogum like a man.

After thinking for a few days, he decides to follow Jackson’s advice. “Yeah like a man,” JB walks up to the Marketing Department office confidently to meet Bogum. However, the timid side of JB comes out and his legs become weak. His heart starts to beat fast.  Unknowingly, he just begins walking in circles near the area in front of the department room.

Just then, he gets a text message.

Text from Sunny: What the heck are you doing…..you are distracting my team members.

JB gets startled, looks around and sees Sunny’s department room has glass window and people inside, including Bogum are giggling at his actions.

Another Text from Sunny: If you want to show that “cute” side of you, now is not the time. Get out! We have a deadline to meet!
JB: ahh damn it (and then he embarrassingly and quickly head his way back to his office)

 

That evening, JB meets Jackson.

JB: I need you to gather as much information as possible about Bogum.

Jackson: Why are you so obsessed with him. You already get  a confirmation from Irene that she’s dating him. Just give up on her.

JB: No I can’t. I need to know about him.

Jackson: Then what? You are going to make them break up?

JB: ….. Ah why do you have to put it this way? I just want to know.

Jackson: So you want to marry this girl for real?? Ohhhhhh ooooooooo

JB: No! I don’t ! Just do it ok? Just do it for me!

Jackson: This is a meaningless request. What’s the point of finding things out about them? Just let them stay together.

JB: Are you for real not doing this for me? You are a celebrity dictionary.

Jackson: That’s exactly why I can’t do. He’s not a celebrity. Ok now stop wasting my time.

JB: Gosh!

JB never thinks he would care about this engagement this much. Everynight, he thinks about Irene. “If I tell Bogum about this engagement, will they break up?” JB thinks in order to be with the one he is starting to fall in love with, he has to pull this couple away from each other. Just like that, his second mission starts.

***

(One day at the GO office)

Protesters: Bring your director down! You guys are doing false advertisement!

Apparently, a group of customers is not satisfied with one of the company’s product, and they are protesting in front of the building. Unfortunately, the product is managed by JB’s team, causing him a lot of trouble.

Chairman/JB’s dad: Didn’t I tell you to do your job properly? Look at the mess you have made!

JB: I am sorry. I will fix it right away.

Chairman: Like how?

JB: Just trust me this one time.

Chairman: You are such a failure. Now get out of my room!

The day has been rough for JB. He has failed his dad again. He starts tearing up due to the pressure. "Why is everything not working out? Why? Why?" 

Just then, his medicine arrives. Jackson as usual is JB’s biggest source of comfort during his rough time.

Jackson: Don’t be too stressed about it. You can talk to these protesters and compensate them.

JB: Things are not that easy in real life, Jackson.

Jackson: Then how about you take a break and forget about this for now?

JB: Do you seriously think it’s a good advice?

Jackson: Yeah. Just for 30 minutes.

And there, they are. Jackson took JB to Irene’s Bakery.

JB: If this is a break you are talking about, I think..

Jackson: Sometimes, you just need a cake to make things better and well I guess some eye candy won’t be too bad right now (looking at JB with that “you like that girl, don’t you?” face)

Baekhyun: You are here again. My boss told you not to come here the last time.

Jackson: What kind of customer sevice is this.

Irene: Give them a table.

As JB walks towards the table, Jackson quickly introduces himself to Irene, “My name is Jackson. I am like BFF with JB. You are really pretty by the way. Actually, he’s in a bad mood today. You saw the news, right?”

Irene: You can give your orders to him (pointing at Baekhyun).

Jackson (to himself): Ahh she will be hard to deal with.

 

A while later as Jackson and JB are chatting...

Baekhyun: Here’s your red velvet cake, mocha cake and then chocolate cake.

Jackson: We didn’t order chocolate cake.

Baekhyun: My boss told me to get one as a service.

Jackson (locking eyes with Baekhyun): Awwn thank you, Baekhyun.

Baekhyun (startled): How do you know my name?

Jackson: Ahh ohh JB told me before..hehe (giving the waiter a wink)

Baekhyun: Oh ewww

JB doesn’t recall telling Jackson about Baekhyun but he is too tried to explain.

Jackson: Seems like she does care about you.

JB looks up at Irene, and accidentally makes eye contact with her.

He slightly blushes and the smile slowly comes back to his face.

 

Back in office, JB feels much better now thanks to Jackson and of course, Irene.

He’s been working for the past 5 hours after leaving the bakery and it is already 9PM. JB tiredly walks down to the vending machine, grabs a drink and leans against the side of the machine. A lot of thoughts are going on in his head about the product incident and most importantly, how to show his dad that he is capable.

A voice from behind: Can I use the vending machine?
JB jumps out in surprise and sees Bogum, smiling gently at him.

JB: oh sorry…….umm yeah..... imm so yeah why are you still working at this hour? 

Bogum: oh we are working on a big new project.

JB: I see Sunny is giving you some hard time (chuckle)

Bogum: haha not at all. I can’t ask for a better boss than her…. Yeah so how about you? Did you sort things out with the current incident?

JB: I am still working on it. It’s not going well so far. My own father thinks I am a failure.

JB doesn’t know why he is opening up like this to someone he has only talk once or twice with. Bogum suddenly pats JB on the shoulder. His eyes are shinging and his smile puts JB at ease.
Bogum: Failure is an event, not a person. This company would have been nothing without your management. I have always wanted to say that I respect you a lot. So yeah cheer up! We all believe in you.

With Bogum’s kind encouragement, JB gains some strength. Irene and Bogum have been kind to him today, and it bothers him that his engagement could hurt the feelings of these two beautiful souls.

***

Inside a building in Seoul, a man in dark hoodie sits on his chair as he stares at his desk. Photos of Irene’s bakery and her dates with Bogum are scattered on his desk. He rubs his gloves - his hands going through the photos. He’s about to cause trouble in people’s lives and he’s ready for it.