The New Feeling

Can This Be Real?

A red Ferrari California comes to a halt at a traffic light on the busy road of Seoul. As people begin to leave after work, the streets are congested with vehicles. People scurry out of their workplaces, either hurriedly getting onto buses to head home or crowding around the nearest food stores to grab a delicious meal.

Inside the Ferrari California, lyrics from G.O.D’s song “Road” echoes.   ~Why am I standing on this road? Is this path really destined for me? Would my dreams come true at the end of this road?~

“Why do they look happier when I am richer and more powerful than them,” whispers the man in the car as he looks at a group of adults eating street food, chichatting and giggling among themselves. He rolls down the window as the wind gushes into his face and the smell of delicious tteok-bokki from the street fills the air around him.

The man is dressed in a white Tuxedo with a black waistcoat inside and an expensive Rolex watch. In front of him, the LED display of advertisement from GO Company flashes in his eyes. This man goes by the name, JB and is the youngest son of Korea’s most famous interior design company, GO.

********************

This afternoon, his dad/the chairman of GO “surprised” him by sharing his news of engagement to the daughter of GO’s competing design firm, RV. At that time, JB remembers saying “I will marry her if you need me to” without a slight bit of sincerity and willingness in his voice. For years, he has been working hard day and night to get acknowledged by his dad and most importantly, receive his love and care. He thinks this could be his chance to show his loyalty towards his dad for the benefit of the company.  

But deep inside, he really does not want to get engaged. The thought of having to spend his time for these irrelevant things annoys him, just like now when he has to sacrifice his evening leisure time by meeting up with his soon-to-be-fiancée.

As the traffic light turns red again, he pulls out his phone and googles, “Park Soo-Young”. “What a scary looking lady I am going to be engaged to,” he murmurs to himself. Back in the afternoon after meeting his dad, he asked his close friend Jackson about Soo-Young. Jackson is supposed to be a celebrity-dictionary who knows almost every celebrity in Korea he could think of.

“Oh my god! That girl! She is that rude party girl that I met at a bar. Jae-Beom, her personality is polar opposite from yours except for the rude part!” Jackson joked,”My chingu, fighting!”

Just then, the car navigator makes a sound and it looks like JB is at his destination. The name of the place reads “BaeChu Bakery”. He is a little bewildered as in why this rich party girl would ask him to meet at a small neighborhood bakery instead of a bar or a classy restaurant.  

Carefully, he steps inside the bakery and immediately feels like he is too overdressed for the atmosphere.

(Inside the bakery)

The place is extremely cozy, dreamy and home-like while the interior design resembles the theme from “Inside-out” movie. Customers, mostly couples and families with kids,  are in their own cute “emotion” cubicle; angry, sad, happiness, surprise and so on. There are also polaroids of customers and handwritten messages hanging from the walls. BaeChu Bakery is unlike anything JB has been so far; there is nothing but laughter and warmth and of course, probably good food as well.

“Welcome! What can I help you with?” a cute-looking waiter by the name, Baekhyun asks bubbly. But JB who is immersed in the surrounding hops slightly with surprise,”ummm ahh I am here to meet Park Soo-Young. The reservation should be on her name.”

Baekhyun looks up the list of reservations for tonight and shakes his head, “There’s no one with that name, sir. Do you want to double check with her and I can….”

“He’s my guest. Leave him to me. Can you take care of these dishes for me instead?,” a gentle voice speaks over JB’s shoulder as she hands Baekhyun a tray of dirty dishes.

JB turns around and sees this girl dressed casually in jeans and a white top that says “BaeChu” and a cute heart sticker. She has pitch black wavy hair, and her skin is so flawless and glows brighter than his future. In just one word, she is gorgeous. Just from the look, he is also very positive that she is not Park Soo-Young.

“Shouldn’t you at least know who you are going to engage to? Soo-Young is my younger sister. I am Irene.”

JB always assumes Park Soo-Young is the only daughter of RV’s chairman since she is the only one working at the company. This must be the secret daughter of RV that everyone likes to fantasize about, JB talks to himself in his head.

“Baekhyun, after you leave the dishes at the back, get us cakes from today’s special,” Irene signals the cake to the waiter.

“No no, I am not eating anything,” JB interrupts. “I am a busy man. I don’t have time for cake.”

Baekhyun rolls his eyes silently, and mumbles, “What a jerk! As if he’s the only one who works.”

JB continues,“I just came because my dad wants me to meet you. Let’s quickly talk about the engagement and I will leave.”

Baekhyun’s eyes widen upon hearing the word "engagement" as Irene takes JB to a table nearby.

Irene and JB literally take 3 minutes to figure out what date works best for them to get engaged. When JB is about to leave, Irene stands up, looking like she has something to say.

JB: Just do your thing. You don’t have to walk me to the door.

Irene: I wasn’t going to anyways. I was going to say something important that.......

The conversation stops abruptly with Baekhyun drops the dishes by accident and Irene rushes to help him. With that, JB leaves. But unlike when he first came into the bakery, he leaves with this strange indescribable feeling. There is something about this place, the people here and also, Irene that make him curious. 

********************

(A few days later)

A loud and surprise guest appears at JB’s office.

“What’s up! My chingu! Oooooohhhh yeahhhhh!” A series of “ooooohhh yeahhh” continues for three more seconds.

“Dude, be quiet. You are at the office,” JB closes the door quickly as he does freindly fist bump with his best friend, Jackson.

 

Jackson: It’s 7PM now. Ditch work and let’s go eat something!

JB: I still have to finish my work for tomorrow. Go ahead and eat first.

Jackson: You will die like this. You need to eat to energize! Let’s go eat CHICKEN!

JB: Ahhh man I can’t

Jackson: If JB doesn’t go, Jackson will be mad. (using aegyo from ‘Fight my way’ drama)

JB (almost feeling like punching Jackson): Let’s go!!!!!

Jackson: Really?

JB: Yeah just because I don’t want to hear you nag anymore.

Jackson: Awwwn my chingu!!! (blowing air kisses)

 

As Jackson and JB come out of the elevator talking, JB sees a familiar face at the entrance of the office building. He pauses and takes a second look at the person. Irene?

Jackson: What’s wrong?

JB: She’s the girl I am engaging to. (while pointing at Irene)

Jackson: Not Park Soo-Young? Wowww she’s very pretty. Oh she’s holding food packages in her hand. Maybe she’s coming to give this to you???

JB (with a slight hope): Stop talking nonsense.

Jackson: Then why is she here? Lets go talk to her.

JB: No no I don’t want to…….

Jackson: Hey pretty girl!!! (while waving at Irene but Irene doesn’t see him)

JB (silently swearing at Jackson): Dude, stop.. stop … stop…..

 

Just then, Irene smiles brightly as an office worker from GO comes out of the building right in front of JB and Jackson. Irene hugs the guy lovingly and holds his hands tightly as they they walk away to eat the food Irene bought.

Jackson and JB both freeze at the sight.

Jackson: Bro, what just happened? She has a boyfriend? And you are getting engaged to her? And and …..

JB (trying to calm himself down): Our engagement is fake anyways. It doesn’t matter if she has a boyfriend or not. I am not interested.

However, inside, JB is deeply bothered by what he just saw.