One

Not worthy
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

She woke up in the hospital. It took her a few seconds before she remembers what happened and she tried to sit up right away. Suddenly her head aches so she lies back down. A few minutes later, she heard a knock on the door and a nurse comes in.

 

"Ms. Park, I'm glad you're awake now. How are you feeling?"

 

"Okay, I guess. My head hurts a little though. Can I get an aspirin please?" She asked. 

 

The nurse just nodded her head. "She still can't remember what happened."

 

"Do you know where you are?"

 

"Yes, this is the John Hopkins Hospital. I've been here a few times."

 

"You are right. Do you know why you're here?"

 

Dara thought hard. She remember partying last night with her friends then she drove home. It was a blur after that.

 

She shook her head. "Did I crash on a post? Or did my car fell on a gutter?" That was the only 2 reasons she could think of. Aside from her headache and a few scratches, she's totally fine.

 

"No, Ms. Park." The nurse pause. "Let me call in Dr. Yang to explain everything to you. I'll be back with him and a medicine for your headache." The nurse then left.

 

Dara suddenly became nervous. "Did something bad happen?? Did I hit somebody??"  Panic starts to creep in but she tried her best to calm down. "Common, the nurse wasn't the least bit accusatory, If I hit someone, she would've been rude to me, right?" She tried to rationalize.

 

After what seemed like forever, she heard a familiar knock and in came the doctor and the same nurse earlier. Just looking at the doctor's face made her feel really nervous. He was neither smiling nor frowning. Just a poker face.

 

"Glad to see you awake now, Ms. Park. I'm Doctor Yang, the one assigned to your case. Nurse Minzy told me that you don't remember a thing after driving home last night, is that right?" His voice was a totally different story though. It sounds like he was trying his best not to shout, but almost failing to do so.

 

"Y-Yes doctor. It was all a blur afterwards." She whispered. "Do my friends know I'm here? I'm an orphan so there's no close relative to call in case of situations like this." She tried to change the topic, pathetic tactic but she was desperate.

 

"Yes, they've been informed." Was all the doctor said. What he said next was what Dara dreaded to hear the most. "While you were driving on your way home, you met an accident. You hit an old lady. Do you know what happened to her? Dead on Arrival." The doctor paused, to let everything sink in. As if he was indirectly torturing her. Then he added, "Here's an advil for your headache." The doctor then left without another word, leaving the nurse behind.

 

Dara didn't notice, but she was trembling. Tears were falling from her eyes and she looked at the nurse with blurry vision. "I d-didn't mean to. It was only a short drive. Oh god, Oh god, Oh god. What have I done?"

 

"There's nothing we can do about her, Ms. Park. She was an elderly woman."

 

Hearing that only made it worse. Her parents died from a drunk driver's hands and she can't believe she has done the same thing. She was bawling now. "I'm sorry mama, papa. I'm so so sorry. I didn't mean to."

 

The nurse just held her hand. "I'll leave the advil here." She then stood up and left to give her some time alone.

 

 

--October 31, 2018--

 

 

Dara is in the cemetery. She still remembers that day as if it was yesterday. Her heart still bleeds and not a day has passed without her conscience leaving her alone. She found out that the elderly woman was living alone with no family, they couldn't even recover her name. The investigation revealed that she was usually noticed by bystanders walking at night, with no light or reflective stuff on her clothing. Almost as if she was waiting to be hit. It didn't matter to Dara though. She was irresponsible and someone else paid for h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter