01.

Well Spent Free Time

“It’s alright.” He shoved more fries into his mouth. His strong, muscular hand reached for a glass of water.

 

“Didn’t you said that you’re free for this week?”

 

She frowned. “I’m not talking about me. I’m talking about you.”

 

What a stone-headed man. It was him whose schedule is super tight. It was also him who asked the girl to go out on his rare free time. Buying all sorts of junk food, as if his jam-packed schedule isn’t destroying his health enough. The only good thing he consumed today was warm water Sojin told to drink instead of iced cola.

 

“You just finished a world tour, remember? You should be sleeping right now, not—snatching my nuggets! [i]Yah![/i]”

 

Seokmin laughed as hard as he could. Sojin’s annoyed face was always amusing, no matter how often he see it. The older girl kept telling Seokmin to stop before she kick him in the face, but he just couldn’t help it. He loved watching her glaring, no matter how scary people said she was. The more she got annoyed, the more he wanted to tease.

 

“A grown-up just yelled for a nugget.”

 

“The two aren’t even related.”

 

Sojin pulled Seokmin’s hand, making him feed her. Her eyebrows was still twitching as she chewed. She took another nugget and feed Seokmin, paying back the one he almost ate.

 

Their hideout were at her friend’s. That place was a small cafe in the suburban. They often came there for small dates in stolen time, not minding whether the cafe is still open or not. Lucky enough, her friend let them to use the place, even gave Sojin passwords and keys so she could come whenever she wants. Sojin liked that place. They served good teas, had this homey concept with wooden stools and linen curtains. More importantly, her friend allowed her to bring outside food as sometimes she only borrow the place.

 

It was a Friday afternoon. Seokmin knew the cafe closed on this day, thus asking Sojin to meet here. Even though he wanted to be somewhere more private—her place, for example—he came back choosing this place over and over again. Her place might be known to some fans, and his dormitory was even more risky. Maybe next time, he thought, when both of them secured a certain level in the industry. Or when people are no longer nosy on celebrities’ dating issues. As much as he liked Sojin, he didn’t want to bring harm to others. Not s nor Sojin’s.

 

He liked the streets, anyway. It had been a while after he got his driving license. He enjoyed driving so much Sojin told him to be a taxi driver when he retired being a singer.

 

“Let’s go home.”

 

Sojin sipped her no longer warm tea until a few drops left. She her cell phone screen, checked the time. It was a quarter past three. They still got plenty time to have a slow drive home.

 

She needed to get her own driver’s license, she thought, so that they could take turns driving. Seokmin was stubborn. He hated meeting her at destination, insisted they always had to go together. It’s not like they could take a cab together. The only way was him driving her everywhere, making Sojin worried if that got Seokmin more tired.

 

“So soon? But we had just arrived.”

 

He was right. They started eating shortly after arrival. While Sojin tended to eat slowly, savoring each flavor that touched her tongue, Seokmin was rather a food fighter. Sojin once called him food drinker, as he seemed like swallowing foods without proper chews. Seokmin’s share was finished, and he took over Sojin’s fries when his mouth got bored.

 

“The foods are gone, too.” She pointed at the almost empty table. “Why bother staying at a cafe with no food? Let’s just go. Jinyi might come to clean this place up. Don’t you want to keep being on her good side?”

 

“It’s not even our first time.” Seokmin sulked. They had been there multiple times before. Jinyi had never been chasing them out except for a sudden storm of teen customers. “Why do you keep telling me to go home? I missed you so much, you know. Piled up this much.” He stretched his hands as far as he could. “We haven’t seen each other for weeks. Didn’t you miss me too?”

 

The older girl held the urge to pinch Seokmin’s nose. She found it cute to see someone with big build got upset like a little boy. Plus, his last question tickled Sojin a bit. She closed her eyes for a while before continuing. “Aren’t you tired?”

 

“No! Why? You’re tired of me?”

 

He clearly was tired, judging from the way he answered with different context.

 

Or not.

 

It was tricky to guess. They enjoyed playing around with this kind of joke. His serious face looked so fake when she glanced over. Sojin almost burst into laugh. Pfft. Let’s see who would win. “Oh my God, Lee Seokmin. You just realized, didn’t you? You sure have slow wits. Are you even interested in me? Yah, why did I even date you? I can’t believe myself.

 

“Because you like me! I know you like me so much! You hugged me first earlier and said that pictures and videos couldn’t replace seeing face to face!” Seokmin leaned forward, closing his distance with Sojin until she could feel his breath caressing her face. “You always get excited whenever I come this close.”

 

She held back her breath. He must be staying still on purpose. To let Sojin struggle with his warm breath tickling. No matter how hard she tried to aver her eyes, Seokmin’s face was still on sight. She blinked rapidly when her gaze met Seokmin’s nose and lips, erasing all crazy ideas that kept on popping out inside her head.

 

“And I bet you’re dying to kiss me right now. Am I wrong?”

 

Oh .

 

It was even more difficult to control herself when Seokmin’s face was that close. She couldn’t resist seeing every small movements he made: glanced over her lips and curved a smile.

 

There were only two options. First, kissed him anyway while waving white flag of surrender, claiming Seokmin’s victory. Second, pulled herself away and denied everything.

 

“Your face is turning red.”

 

Sojin’s decision?

 

“Go away!”

 

The second one. Obviously. Though that was harder since she was holding back a smile.

 

Her hands strongly pushed Seokmin’s shoulders as she kicked his stool, sent herself a few steps back. “I-it wasn’t excitement, I was fl-flustered! Even if it was Kim Junho gagman who came that close I’d still be flustered! Right! Not because I like you.”

 

She crossed her arms in front of her chest. “When did I say I like you? Isn’t it just you getting the wrong idea?” Her head were tilted, giving Seokmin a side eye when Sojin looked at him. She did stuttered a bit for covering up her racing heart.

 

“I’m only staying for the food! I’ll leave after it’s all finished. So, good bye in advance.”

 

Seokmin’s funny grin slowly faded away. Sojin didn’t know if it was her imagination but his eyebrows looked even more drooping. “You’re here for the food?”

 

“Why? D-did you really think I came to have a d-date with you?”

 

“No?”

 

Chet.”

 

Sojin turned her face away from Seokmin. He stayed there with his blank face, didn’t seem to deliver any emotions. One second. Two seconds. Three seconds. Nobody said anything, and that made Sojin felt uneasy. Did she said something wrong? But this was just a joke Seokmin started himself. Shouldn’t he be the one who knows best that nothing Sojin said meant harm?

 

Sojin startled when Seokmin suddenly stood up. She wasn’t sure how did his expression look like since his back was facing her. She opened , but didn’t get the timing to say anything as he murmured, “I need some time to think.”

 

She blinked twice. He turned his head a little bit, showing Sojin his side figure.

 

“I’m going to get some fresh air.”

 

And the wind chimes tinkled as he went out. A little bell Jinyi put over the door rang when the door was opened and closed. The silent cafe made Sojin heard Seokmin’s footsteps grew fainter as he walked away.

 

Was he really tired, and those questions he asked not a mere joke? She was sure those were kidding. She was sure he knew that she wasn’t serious. They liked that kind of joke, remember? This wasn’t it. It shouldn’t end like this.

 

Did she take it the wrong way? Or did she looked like she really tired of Seokmin? But that was impossible. He knows better than anyone that she likes him very much. She didn’t even hesitated when he asked her out despite being six years older. She even said every denial with a smile being held back! The idea of Seokmin believing that Sojin no longer liked him made no sense.

 

The long haired girl let out a sigh. At least he would got back for his car key. She would explain everything when he came. Going out to follow wherever he went was a bad idea, she guessed. Who knew where he would be with his long legs. He could be back when Sojin’s out looking for him, and she worried that might got him another wrong idea. All she could do was waiting for him inside the cafe. Finishing their leftover foods while cleaning up.

 

A glass of refilled water was finished.

 

Had Seokmin came back? No.

 

Sojin killed time by tidying up the counter, throwing out tea bags she used earlier.

 

All tidied up. Had Seokmin came back?

 

Still no.

 

Sojin was at her tenth lap of circling around the cafe when she got anxious if Seokmin was upset for real. She reached for her phone, called Seokmin who she put on speed dial number 1.

 

She got even more anxious when she heard Seokmin’s ringtone right beside her. He didn’t bring his phone along.

 

Sojin stuffed her face with fries, trying to distract herself from weird ideas of what Seokmin could be doing at the moment. She was at her last piece when she heard a loud bang on the door. A soft laugh was following after.

 

It was Seokmin.

 

“More food!”

 

He was standing there with his body almost covered in big packets of snacks—was that a jar? His grin was so big and bright, Sojin could put down all curtains and his smile would still be seen. Sojin couldn’t help but snorted a heartless laugh.

 

Wonders and and questions were the first things came to Sojin’s mind. Why did it took long for him to came back? Did he really had a long thought outside? Where did he get everything? Was it far? Was it near? How did he managed to bring everything? Did he walk all the way there and here? Did someone give him everything? Or did he buy them? Why?

 

“And you’re not allowed to leave until we finish everything.”

 

“Seriously?” Her round eyes got rounder. That was a lot of snack. When she said it was a lot of snack, it really was a lot. “That’s gonna take forever!”

 

Not to mention its salt content. They might be bloated into three sizes up for eating all that snacks. And pimples. They sure would get breakouts the day after. Breakouts from excessive sodium won’t go away that easy. What was he thinking? Was that another joke, or a seriously weird punishment?

 

“That’s why I bought everything I could hold. Don’t leave me.”

 

Oh.

 

Busted.

 

Sojin let out a really loud laugh. That was smooth. Seokmin’s jokes were sure to die for. At that moment, she couldn’t think about any cheesier pick up to beat Seokmin. She worried over nothing. He went for the least expected.

 

When he finally put down his snack bags and jar on the floor and took a seat, Sojin pulled her stool closer to him. Her hearty laugh changed into a sweet smile. Her gaze were glued into Seokmin’s dark, twinkling eyes. Unlike earlier, she didn’t push him away when he leaned towards her. She took her time to look at Seokmin’s smiling face as long and close as she wanted. She took out her hand to pinch his tall nose out of affinity. Seokmin won.

 

Jo Sojin was defeated.

 

“Silly.”

 

And she loves her silly man.