Chapter 2

The Bodyguard

Staring up at the ceiling you tried to find the encouragement you needed to get out of bed and get ready for school. You’d say that for a person who actually pleaded to go to school that you’d be a little bit more motivated than this. But due to circumstances you found yourself no where near the mood to get up. All night yesterday’s events had been playing through your head. It had taken a very long time before you had been calm enough to actually lay down in bed and stop pacing through the room. There had been so many thoughts filling your head. The conversation with your father, Jungkook’s stare. They way he had assured you that he would do his job, no matter if you told him to leave. There was something about him though, that had caused his face to swim round and round in your mind all night. There wasn’t a single cell inside of your body that wanted a bodyguard. You were a normal high school student. Apart from annoying classmates who threw some ugly words at you and teachers who would overload you with homework you had nothing to worry about. You had never felt threatened or in danger before while being out. Your father was exaggerating and once again you were the victim of that. By now your mom’s voice should have reached out for you already, telling you to come downstairs and get your lazy out of bed. But now, nothing came, no matter how long you waited. Heaving a deep sigh you forced yourself to push yourself upright, the ceiling disappearing from your point of view. It was dark inside of the room and as you grabbed your phone from your nightstand to check the time the brightness stung your eyes. A frond escaped from your lips when you realized that if you wouldn’t get up now you’d be late. 


There no way you would give your father the satisfaction of hearing that you stayed home today. You couldn’t let him think that any of this matter to you because then he’d know how to get to you from now on. Until now that had always been your advantage, the fact that he had never gotten the time to know his own daughter. This now made it easier for you to trick him. As long as he thought that you weren’t bothered by what he did then he didn’t have anything to use against you. He wanted to let someone babysit you? Fine, but tat didn’t mean that you had to agree with it or that you had to make things easy for him. You weren’t someone who went down easily, and you sadly enough had to admit that was something you had inherited from him. Your mom hadn’t really been the kind of person who had bitten herself into things. Overall she’d had quite an easy life. For as long as you could remember she had never gone out working and she had stayed home to take care of you as your father had worked around the clock. She had always refused to take a nanny, not wanting you to get raised by strangers. Today you could only be thankful towards her that she had done such a thing. Thanks to her you’d felt as if you had had a family, as if you’d been a part of something, as if you’d at least meant something to someone. Rolling out of bed you shivered when your bare feet hit the cold tiles and even though they were still shining brightly you knew that later on today, after you left for class, Elena would come over to swop them. when you would come back here tonight it would look as if no one had ever been here, the bed neatly made, as if this room wasn’t your own anymore. 


Shuffling towards the bathroom you flickered on the bright lights, squeezing your eyes to get used to the new environment. The bathroom was your favorite place in the house. Even though you hated your father’s fortune and everything it stood for, you definitely didn’t hate this bathroom. A large bath was settled in the middle of the room, a shower in the corner. Baths were usually taken on crapy days, while you quickly took a shower if you didn’t have any time to spare. The mirror against the wall was enormous and your mother had always made sure that as a girl, you owned everything you could possibly need. Not that you often laid a hand on the make up she had bought for you. Brushing your fingers along the material of the dresser you could still remember the image of you as a little girl, sitting on a chair in front of that mirror. You had been so little you had barely been able to reach the damn thing. But you’d been having the time of your life while your mom had been trying to put your hair into small braids, making you feel like a lady. That part of you was long gone, the sweet girl curried deep inside of you. Feeling a familiar tug at your heard you quickly pushed the thoughts aside. Self pity wasn’t going to help you, it wouldn’t bring you any closer to figuring out what had happened to her, who had done this to her. The urge to know gnawed at you a little more and more every day. Somehow you got the feeling that your father wasn’t even trying to figure it out, or that he already knew but that he simply refused to tell you about it. Yet, the thoughts that your mom had died for nothing, that there was no one who cared enough to find out who had done this and try their best to get that person behind bars, actually broke you into pieces. 


You couldn’t just sit here and pretend as if everything was alright, you couldn’t just accept this and do nothing. You needed answers and justice. Getting towards the sink you splashed some cold water into your face, trying to ignore the worn out look inside of your eyes as you stared at your own reflection. Some day you would take revenge, and it would be sweet. In a slight hurry you got ready, freshening up and getting dressed. Leaving your hair down your shoulders in waves you hoped that would be enough to cover up the slight dark circles that were left because of the sleepless nights. Walking back into your room you walked towards the desk, grabbing your bag from the chair and swinging it over your shoulder. Slipping past your night stand you made sure to unplug your phone and slipped it into the pocket of your heads before making your way out of the room. Immediately you froze, suspiciously staring from side to side in the hallway. No Jungkook. There wasn’t a single movement inside of the corridor and finally your shoulders relaxed. Perhaps he had already left. Maybe he had changed his mind after thinking over what you had told him last night and he had run. You wouldn’t be surprised, more than once had one of your father’s employees been scared off because of your demeanor. Though somehow, you felt a slight pang of disappointment rip through you. He hadn’t seemed like the person who would give up so easily and a small part of you had hoped that he would be different. That maybe he wouldn’t just leave, forget about you and turn around as if he didn’t care about what happened to you. But who were you fooling? Those people, they were all the same/ they were here for one thing only, because of your father’s money. There wasn’t a single one that truly cared for you. The only one who seemed to have slightly earned your trust over the years was Elena, but only because she had been close to your mother as well.


Walking down the hall you passed the elevator and aimed for the stairs. Your socks patted against the floor as you took one step adder age other, heading straight towards the kitchen. Throwing your bag down on one of the chairs you enjoyed the silence inside of the house. When Elena had first started working here she had always made you breakfast. From pancakes to muffins, sometimes even waffles. After a while though you had asked her to stop, you no longer enjoyed those things now that you had to sit at the table all by yourself. The food no longer tasted as good. Wiggling towards one of the cabinets you got out a bowl, placing it on the counter before setting off towards the fridge. Usually you kept breakfast quick, you didn’t have the time to prepare some fancy meal so you usually stuck to your favorite cereal. It was fast and efficient, and it kept you going all the way to lunch. spotting the brick of mils you reached for it and stepped back to close the refrigerator. “You’re late.” The words appeared out of nowhere and so suddenly that your heart skipped a beat inside of your chest. Gasping loudly you scrambled back against the counter, the milk slipping from your grasp and crashing onto the floor. Jungkook was leaning against the wall on the opposite side of the room, the expression on his face unreadable but a small smile tugging at the corners of his lips. Shocked your glance lingered between him and the doorway, wondering how it was possible that you hadn’t heard him come in. It was so quiet in here, you’re sure you would have been able to hear anyone sneak in here. But it seemed like he hadn’t been lying last night, perhaps he was really good at his job. 


Glaring at him you watched the amused glint inside of his eyes and it made you want to go over to him and hit him. You couldn’t image that you had been wished he would have stayed a few minutes ago. You wanted him out, you couldn’t stand him looking at you. “What the is wrong with you?” You growled, looking down on the mess that had been created. The white fluid was covering the entire floor, splashed against the cabinets and the wall. Your jeans was ruined with milk, your red blazer looking like a mess. Reaching for a towel you frantically tried to clean yourself up. Jungkook pushed himself off from the wall, moving as graceful as a cat, as if it didn’t cost him any effort at all. Just like yesterday he was wearing a black suit, tight around his shoulders and arms, the first two buttons of his white shirt left undone. Most girls would melt at the sight of him, the thought of a guy like him being so close to them almost unthinkable. With his agile fingers he grabbed a mob which was standing in the corner of the room, but before he could start you ripped it from his hands leaving him staring at you in surprise. “I can do it.” You groused, not wanting him to start cleaning the junk you had made. Why did everyone have to treat you like you were a little girl? You didn’t need anyone to baby you, the only person who had been allowed to do so wasn’t around anymore.  You could feel his attentive eyes on you as you began cleaning the floor in a hasty pace, knowing that if you wouldn’t leave soon you’d be late for class. Which reminded you of something. Sending him a dirty look, everything seemed to fall into place. “How do you know what time I get up?” You asked, remembering how he had called you out for not being on time. 


He shrugged his shoulders, standing back against the counter, towering in front of you. His hair was slightly messed up, as if he hadn’t been able to get out of bed himself this morning. “I asked the staff for your schedule. I have to know what time you leave for school so that I’m able to take you there.” He explained, as if that was the most normal thing in the world to say. Yet, your mood only worsened because of his words. Throwing the mob back on its previous spot you marched out of the room, stepping into your shoes before getting straight towards the door. “I don’t need a babysitter!” You roared, boiling with anger. Hearing the way he cleared his throat behind you, you your heels, ready to stare him down furiously. Your bag was dangling from his finger, a mischievous expression on his face. Not able to control it you felt the way a blush started to travel up our neck, settling on your cheeks. Taking a deep breath you demanded yourself to remain calm as you rushed back to him, swallowing your pride. Someone had to rebuilt that handsome face of him so that he wouldn’t be so smug anymore. Ripping the bag from his hold you meant to leave again, but he stopped you. You lulled to a halt as he placed his hand against the wall, blocking your way. Tugging up your eyebrows you shot him a indignant look. “Excuse me?” You squealed, trying to make it seem as if you were outraged because he was getting so close to you. Yet, instead you were actually trying to slow down your fast beating hard, which was something you couldn’t allow to happen. He wasn’t the first handsome person who had ever been forced in your presence, you were supposed to be stronger than him. Yet, there was something about the way he searched eye contact with you that made you weak in the knees. 


“I’m not here to get to you. I’m only trying to help you.” He pointed out, but you sniffed at that. Straightening your shoulders you tried your hardest to hide your inner thoughts from him. He had no idea how he was getting to you, and you didn’t like it even the slightest bit. The only way you could go on with your peaceful life was if he would get out of it. Not only was he someone your father had forced into your life, he was also someone you didn’t need. Another person who would try to get into your life, throw things upside down, thinking they had something to say about you. You were sick and tired of being thrown from one side towards the other. It wouldn’t be the first time that you would believe that someone was actually trying to do what was best for you, only to have a knife jabbed into your back later on. “I just want you to leave me alone.” You repeated, still stuck in the same mind set as you had been last night. He seemed slightly disappointed, as if he had hoped that he might have been able to get through to you. Pushing himself off he rearranged his suit, tugging the jacket straight. All of a sudden he turned back into the professional man he had been before, a distant look inside of his eyes. Somehow you felt the need to tell him that he shouldn’t take it personal bubble inside of you. That was the thing about all the staff inside of this house, it never got personal, that was the deal. Straightening up your shoulders you continued your way down the hall, sensing him following you right on your heels. your hands next to your sides you really tried to stop yourself from lashing out on him. This was insane. “You haven’t had breakfast, do you want us to stop somewhere so we can get you something?” He suddenly asked behind you, a strained sound mixed with his friendly words. It wouldn’t be the first time you’d driven a usually friendly person to get to the point where they completely hated you. You always told yourself that you didn’t care, what they thought of you wasn’t your problem. 


“I’m not hungry.” You muttered softly, swinging your bag over your shoulder as you pulled the doors open and got outside. Extending the large stairs you quickly tried to walk towards your car, the small Mini Cooper you had bought of your own money when you had gone out working this summer. Back then you had still had the support of your mother when you had announced that you weren’t accepting a single dime from your father to buy yourself your own car and you wanted to save for it yourself. She’d had your back and she was the reason why that car was parked on the porch right now. “Where are you going?” Jungkook asked behind you, surprising you by grabbing a hold of the lug of your bag, holding you back. His power surprised you as you were unable to put even another single foot forwards. Stuttering slightly you tried to brush him off, but he was strongly holding on, refusing to let you go. “We’re taking the other car.” He remarked, his finger pointed towards the black vehicle beside your small one. The windows were tinted so not even a single soul was able to see who was sitting inside of the car. It looked like it was bulletproof, and it could be used in war. Not the kind of thing you wanted to arrive in when getting to school. “I’m not getting in there.” You quickly informed him stubbornly, crossing your arms over your chest and digging your feet into the pavement. Your car was your pride, it was the one thing the students at school actually admired you for. There was no way you were going to give that up. Being who you were was already hard enough without you father trying to interfere with your school life. “You can come voluntarily or I can carry you.” Jungkook suddenly said, as if it was a reminder which didn’t make a single room for discussion, but if he thought that you weren’t planning on arguing with him then you were very wrong. 


Spinning around to face him you took a big step forward until you were standing right in front of him. His eyes widened in surprise, but he didn’t get defensive, as if he somehow knew that you wouldn’t get aggressive towards him. “Listen to me, you muscle pig. You may be hired by my dad, but if you want to keep this job livable for yourself you better start listening to what I’m saying. I’m the one you have to work with, not my father. I’m saying we’re taking my car and if that doesn’t please you then you can walk. Am I clear?” You growled, and even found yourself lifting your finger and pocking it against his chest. You tried to ignore the feeling of muscle underneath his shirt, while he wasn’t even trying to flex them. You really didn’t want to know what he was hiding underneath those clothes, it had to be the dream body of any man. Yet, he surprised you by suddenly enclosing his hand around that finger, holding it still midair. All your nerves tingled at the places he touched you, causing your breath to catch inside of your throat. His dark eyes were drilling right into yours, and you could tell that he was going over his options inside of his head. “Fine, we’ll take your car. But if I start working for you, I want you to stop working against me. This isn’t going to work if you’re going to try to get me out the door before I even put a single foot in.” He shot back, and you felt your jaw clench at the deal he was proposing. Everything he said went completely against your personal plan. It was your goal to get him out, not to suddenly start getting him into your team instead of your father’s. In the end they always went back to him, none of them could be trusted. But somehow, as you stared deep inside of his brown eyes, you couldn’t help yourself as your answer rolled off your tongue. “You better don’t disappoint me Jeon Jungkook, otherwise I’ll have your whipped, and then it won’t matter how strong you are.” You snarled before you broke free out of his grip, turning to walk back towards the car. But you had still been in time to see the way his eyes had lit up with amusement.