Chapter 1

The Bodyguard

Furious, that was the least you could say about the way you felt. Without a single glance in the direction of the men who stood waiting in front of the door, you headed straight inside. It wasn't hard to think where the man you were looking for was hiding. He never came out of that stupid office of him. Your sneakers squeaked against the shiny tiles, a strange distinction from the sound of all the heels surrounding you. Several people walked past you, all busy with something. Some were making the beds, some were doing laundry, others were preparing food. Anything just so that your father wouldn't have to do it himself. There weren't a lot of people who worked in your father's favor which you actually liked or appreciated, not many accept for Elena. Even though you had tried your hardest to shoe her away and scare her off when your dad had announced that from now on she would become the person who would be spending most time with you, she had never given in. You admired her for the strength she showed, for the willpower she had not to give up even though there had been moments you had made her job impossible. She was one of the only people inside of this house you trusted. You saw her walking down the hall, coming towards you. She had no idea you were here, shouldn't be expecting you to. So when you moved in front of her so that she practically ran into you, she seemed utterly surprised. "Miss ______________, you should be at school." No matter how many times you had asked her to call her by your first name, she simply didn't listen. This was the twenty first century, calling you miss was a little bit over the top. Besided, in your ripped skinny jeans and official red school blazer you looked anything like a miss. "My father needed me here, said he had an announcement to make. We all know what that means. The man needs something from me and is going to try and bribe me. Now, we would all be happy to just avoid that so if you could just tell me what he needs we can all move on and I can get back to school.”


You had been so pissed when a strange man had suddenly marched into your classroom, saying to be working for your dad and he got the order to take you home. It had given you a lot of extra attention which you didn't need, or want. Other students were already whispering behind your back more than enough. You didn't need even more attention. The two of you had made a deal as soon as you'd gone off to study. He would leave you alone and let you be a normal kid and you wouldn't stuff your nose into his business. This arrangement had been standing strong, until a few weeks ago, when your mother had passed away. That was a very nice way to describe that she'd been killed, but as everyone seemed to think that you were too young to deal with all of that dramatic information, they'd tried to tell you the prettier version of the story. Not that it had helped because you'd found out anyway. Ever since she was gone your father had made it his goal to try and sneak into your life, no matter how many times you tried to tell him that you didn't need him. Your father was a rich and powerful man, working as the CEO of some sort of secret organisation even you didn't know the finest details about. Your mother had been a sweet lady and you never understood how a woman like her had fallen for a man like your father. Her death had come as a complete shock to you and you hadn't known how to react. The only member of the family you had been looking up to, holding onto, gone. It all happened so fast, when you'd left for school in the morning she'd still been there, humming a soft melody behind the stove. When you'd gotten home later that day she had been gone. You'd never cried, no matter how much pain you had felt inside, how much it had broken you. Your friends said it was just the shock, that once you would be over that, the hit would come, perhaps twice as hard. 


Right now the only thing you could think about was the person who had done this to her, to you. There was someone who had taken her away from you, on purpose. They had meant to harm her, meant for her to die. They had never told you how she'd died, you hadn't gotten the chance to see her body after it happened. Your father had refused to let you. You didn't know if she'd suffered, if she had been in pain, if she'd been terrified and alone. But what you did know was that this person had to be found. There was no one who could simply be allowed to kill your mother and actually get away with it. Secretly you were hoping that was what your father had to tell you, that they had caught the killer, that he had finally done what he'd said he would do. You needed him to tell you that he was trying everything he could, for the woman he once loved. Elena gave you a hopeless glance, watching the way the other 'servants, maids' as your father would like to call them, passed you by. They were all busy pretending that they didn't see you standind in the middle of the hallway, but you both knew they did. "I'm sorry miss, but I have no idea." She muttered as she changed the laundry basket in her hold, shifting it from one side towards the other. You sniffed, not sure if she was lying to you on purpose or because she was told to do so. Putting your next steps into action you shot her an angry glare, though that strategy had never worked before. She wasn't afraid of you and even if she was she was definitely more afraid of your father. So you quickly skipped towards the next step, sending her your puppy eyes and pulling a slight pout. It wouldn't be the first time she'd given into that. Especially since the whole thing with your mom she had become a lot more indulgent towards you. Though this time, that didn't seem to be enough. Sending you a caring smile she brought up her hand to brush a strand of hair from your eye, a movement you had tried to avoid these past few weeks as it caused a sting to go through your chest. It reminded you of the one person you didn't want to think of. 


"Go see your father, I'm sure he had a good reason to speak to you if he let's you get excused from class." She informed, completely avoiding your request as she hoisten the laundry up in her hold and moved past you, continuing her way. Heaving a deep sigh you wondered if she was indeed working for you or if she was just another puppet of your father, just like everyone else. With a scowl drawn on your face you stormed through the hall, finding your way towards the elevator. Ramming the button that would cause the doors to open you wondered where this anger you felt was coming from. Was it the entire situation with your dad? Or did it go further than that? Since when had you started feeling so mad at the world? You had always been a hard child, being born in a family you didn't want to be a part of. You didn't like being in the centre of attention at school or for people to treat you differently, but because they all knew who your dad was that was something inevitable. You'd never asked for all the materialized fortune, the image you'd gotten without asking for it. You longed for a normal life, with normal friends. If you could exchange your life with someone else's you wouldn't doubt your decision for even a second. Leaning back against the wall of the elevator you waited as the square moved upwards. You might dislike the luxury but you disliked stairs even more. Lulling to a stop at the third floor the doors of the elevators opened. Your house counted three of them, the one on which you were right now was one you barely visited. Your father had literly moved a part of his company towards his own house over the years. 


There were several offices, and he had a few employees walking around here. If there were any people he worked with who were important enough to gain a personal conversation with him, they all came here. These days the man barely left the house, chained to his desk. You couldn't remember ever having fun with your dad, the only thing you could imagine him doing was work. Darting down the hall you stopped in front of the second last door to your right, and instead of knocking like every normal person would do, you simple barged in. If he wanted you here then he'd have to deal with the concequences. The conversation that was being held inside of the room stunned as soon as you appeared in the doorway, glaring at the man who was sitting on the edge of the desk. His companion surprised you, as he was much younger than the person he usually did business with. He seemed to be around your age, dressed in a nice black suit and white button up shirt, the perfect dress code if they wanted your father to like them. His dark hair was falling down his forehead but didn't hide his priming and intense stare. He seemed to be drinking you in, studying every single detail. Somehow it caused you to blush, and you hated it. "You're here, perfect. Take a seat sweatheart." Your father said, popping out the smile he always sent you when he was trying to get in your favor. The thing was that you were no longer falling for his tricks and you stubbornly leaned nack against the wall. With your arms crossed over your chest you shot him a challeging look, causing him to sigh.


The times that you would actually listen to him and do as he told you were extremely rare. He hadn't spent enough time with you when you had been a child to create that special connection with you. The only person you had freely listened to was no longer here. All of a sudden your heart felt heavy, the emotions you had been trying to run away from for so long pressing down on you. "Alright, sweetie, I asked you to come here because I have something very important to tell you." He went on, trying to look friendly. But as you stood here like this you rather felt like one of his business partners. The only thing he ever did with you was negotiating, making deals to keep the both of you pleased. He never treated you like a daughter. "It better be good. I'm missing math because of this, you know how much I love math." You sneered and you both knew that was a lie. You hated the damn course, but you wanted to point out the fact that he had already ruined his own game by getting you out of class like this. The boy standing beside your father coughed suddenly and your attention diverted back to him. He seemed to be having a small smile playing around his lips. He probably wasn't used to someone speaking up against your father in such way. You didn't know anyone else who dared to do so. His presence here itself was a question, why was he here? And what did you have to do with it? "I sent someone to pick you up earlier, did you go with him?" He asked and you frowned, annoyed because you were getting confused. Wasn't that the thing you were suppose to do? What had he expected, for you to be so impossible to handle that you would even refuse to go home when he didn't leave you a choice? "Well, how do you think I got here? I still can't fly, even though I'm sure that invention would earn you a great amount of money.”


“Maybe it's something you should be thinking of." You mocked and the frown on your father's forehead deepened, clearly displeased because of the way he was being treated, but also knowing there was nothing he could say. This was the last way he could have the slightest control over you, by keeping his mouth shut and not complaining. "That man could have been anyone. It could have been someone who told you he worked for me, only to take you go with him and then who knew what might have happened. He didn't prove anything to you, still you're naive enough to simply step into his car, believing he will take you where he told you he would." He suddenly pointed out, and this time it was your turn to be dumbfounded. You had never doubted that the man worked for him and your father's mindset hadn't even crossed your mind. Opening your mouth to speak up against him, you closed it again as nothing came out. What the hell were you supposed to say to that? He seemed pleased with your silence as he rose from his spot on top of his desk and placed his hand on the shoulder of the boy beside him. It was only now that the two stood beside each other that you noticed how broad and muscular the younger boy was. The confidence was radiating from him as he locked gazes with you, something blazing inside of his eyes. "This is Jungkook. From now on he'll accompany you when you go out. I hired him as your personal bodyguard." He looked smug when he said it and the boy beside him straightened up, showing off even taller than he had done before. Somehow your jaw succeeded in dropping towards your chest. Looking at the handsome boy with the amount of information you had right now, you suddenly didn't like the sight of him as much anymore. "No ing way." You grumbled lowly and they both seemed surprised, though your father more openly than Jungkook. He remained silent as he took you in, as if your reaction didn't quite came as such a shock to him. At least he wasn't as clueless as the man beside him. 


"It's for your own protection! You should be happy I'm taking care of you." He wheezed, as if you were some ungreateful child. You sniffed, tightening your hold around the strap of the bag pack on your shoulder. He had never taken the effort to raise you, to be an active part of your life and you surely didn't need him to start now. A bodyguard? Had he lost his mind? "Happy? That you're sending someone to stalk me all day? I don't need a bodyguard, I can take care of myself, thank you very much." You spitted at him and you could hear the venom in your own words as you spoke. It had been a long time since you'd been this rude to him. Yet, it had also been a long time since you had spoken to him in general. As long as you didn't have to talk to him there was no chance to get angry at him, which was always the case when you were trying to have a decent conversation with him. "Oh really? Like how you went with a stranger you didn't even know? Have you forgotten what happened to your mother?” A loaded silence filled the room as you stared your father down. How dared he say something like this to you? He was never there, never had any time. It had always been your mom and you against the world. She had been there to wake you up in the morning to get you ready for your first day of school, to dry your tears when the other students had been rude to you, to help you when you had to study for a test, to spend late nights talking with you about nonsense. He had never done any of those things. He had never been there, wasn't able to love her in the same way you had, the way you still did. 


As if Jungkook could tell that you were about to explode he shifted on his spot, as if ready to stop you from attacking the man next to him any moment. Yet, it was obvious he didn't know you well, because instead of moving forward you simply turned around and walked out of the room. Slamming the door behind you so harshly the entire floor shook you set off into the direction of the elevator. You were not accepting this, no way. You could tell there was a reason why he had picked out this paticular guy. Even you had to admit that Jungkook was handsome, he was nice to look at and he was young. Your father had obviously been trying to please you, thinking you would let him get away with it as long as you had someone to keep yourself busy with. But he was definitely wrong. It was his fault that this family was in danger, his fault that this had happened to your mother. There was money on his head, not on yours, still you were the one who had to suffer because of it. Sometimes, when your cruel side came to the surface, you asked yourself why he wasn't the one who died. Stepping inside of the iron box you pressed the button of the second flooratingly. There was no way you could still go to school now, not now that you were this angry and outraged. What you needed right now was for your mom to sit you down on the couch and talk some sense into you, like she always did when you were pissed at your dad. A lump appeared inside of your throat because of the thought and for the first time since her death you actually felt like bursting into tears. Suddenly a hand jumped in between the closing doors, making you gasp. You hadn't expected anyone to come after you. Though as soon as the doors opened and you saw who it was your look darkened. 


Jungkook casually stepped inside of the elevator, walking closer until he was standing beside you. Turning on his heel he made sure he was facing the same direction as you as the doors finally shut. your hands by your side you wondered if you'd be fast enough to knock him out, but soon came to the conclusion you weren't. Before you'd even raised a hand he would probably have you pressed down against the floor. "What do you want?" You growled, watching the way the number counted down to two painfully slow. It was as if the universe was mocking you. The smell of his cologne filled the small space. Something fruity, which didn't seem to fit him at all and even though you didn't knom him, it seemed to make sense. At first he didn't say anything and it seemed as if he had lost his tongue. Great, perhaps he was mute as well? "Your father told me to keep an eye on you, I'm doing my job." He suddenly said and the sound of his voice amazed you. It was soft, yet strong, every sillable perfectly articulated. It was that kind of voice that wouldn't annoy you if you had to listen to it for a very long time. "Well, I'd prefer if you'd go do your job somewhere else." You scowered, relieved when the doors finally opened and you were able to escape. Speed walking through the hal your bad mood worstened when you noticed he didn't have a hard time keeping up with you. For each two steps you took, he only needed one. "I'm sorry but I can't do that. Your father hired me for this task, and I'm very good at what I do." He threw back at you and you grumbled something incoherent as you made your way towards your bedroom. You could feel him right on your heels, the feeling of being followed causing you to tense. You definitely weren't going to like this if he decided to stay. Turning around to face him you blocked his way, swinging the door towards room your open. "Leave me alone." You muttered and the last thing you saw before you slammed the door in his face was the small smile that was lingering on his face. You definitely weren't planning on making this easy for him. You were going to make him run.