Part 1

Oceans

Late and out of my mind. That’d be an accurate representation of my mental state right now. I rush myself through crowds of people, hoping my face mask masks my identity enough to get through today.
A sudden squeal confirms that that will not be the case today.
Without thinking twice, I turn into the first sketchy alleyway that comes on my path. In a red neon sign I read: “Otter and Manatee.” My curiosity is sparked and along with my desire to not get ripped to shreds by crazy people, it decides to show me inside. I gladly oblige and step into the potential safe haven.
Inside I find a place with black and white tiles, bright red walls, and dark wooden furniture. This is a tattoo shop. There are paintings with golden frames on the walls, big leather chairs for the customers, and a big open space so everyone sees what’s happening. I didn’t expect to walk into this when I saw the name outside.
‘I’m busy,‘ a female voice says. I look over and see a woman, probably a little younger than I am, putting a tattoo stencil on a heavy set man.
‘Oh, I’m sorry, I just came here to take cover. Do you mind?‘ I say politely.
‘Wouldn’t it be especially sunny today? What would you need cover from if it isn’t the rain? A crazy ex or something?‘ The woman is straightforward to say the very least. The man in the chair just seems to enjoy her slight smack talk.
‘She doesn’t mind. Take a seat,‘ the man says gently. A few minutes of soft R&B music and silent breathing pass. Suddenly the woman groans in frustration.
‘It’s not going to work today Hubbs,‘ the woman says in a tone that is almost whiny.
‘What’s up with the stencil this time?‘ The man asks. She sighs, this time more in defeat than frustration.
‘It just…‘ she pauzes, ‘It doesn’t look the way I want it to look.‘
‘That’s ok,‘ the man says, ‘we can do it some other time. It’s not like I want an otter on me right this very second.‘
‘Hey! I have the manatee already, remember?‘ She jokes as the heavy set man gets up from the chair. He has a very gentle smile on his face when our eyes meet.
‘Say Matcha, why don’t you get our guest something to drink. He looks like he needs it,‘ the man jokes.
‘Oh, no, it’s ok,‘ I say, ‘I’ll just make a phone call and I’ll be out of your hair.‘ The woman, who is apparently nicknamed “Matcha,“ walks over and sits down next to me.
‘You look familiar,‘ she says. The man, whom she nicknamed “Hubbs,“ chuckles.
‘You really are behind with your music,‘ he teases, ‘that’s Suho from EXO.‘
‘Ah, really?‘ She asks. Her eyes seem to light up with interest. ‘Is that why you came here? Did you need to hide from crazy fans?’
‘I did,‘ I say a bit taken back. She went from this up in your face person to someone who gets excited over very small things. She doesn’t even seem to care that I’m famous. ‘I have a client in a bit, but you can sit in my office if you want some privacy,‘ she offers.
‘That’d be great, thank you- ehh, sorry, what’s your name?‘
‘Lilan “Matcha“ Tyler,‘ she says and offers her hand. A very strange way to introduce herself, but then again you can see she’s not from here. You can hear it from her accent. You can see it from her dirty blond, short curls, her blue eyes, her white smile, and curvy body. She’s certainly not Asian and she certainly wasn’t born here either. She’s really beautiful.
‘Matcha?‘ I ask.
‘Oh, I’m addicted to anything matcha flavored, so he gave me that name,‘ she says as she points at Hubbs. ‘His name is Chen Kiyan, but I call him Hubba or Hubbs. Come on, I’ll show you to my office.‘

After a bit I come out of the office to see Lilan still sitting behind the desk in the shop, but her appointment isn’t here. She looks up from her work when she hears the door close.
‘Are you leaving?‘ She asks curiously.
‘Yeah, my manager is picking me up,‘ I tell her.
‘Oh,‘ she says in a way I can’t quite place. It sounds like a mixture of sadness and surprise maybe? I take a deep breath and smile at her.
‘I’d like to repay you for hiding me today,‘ I tell her.
‘Oh, that’s ok. Just happy to help,‘ she says.
‘For s sake Matcha, just say yes to the guy! I saw you spying on him when he was in your office,‘ Kiyan shouts through the shop. Lilan turns a bright shade red and her eyes widen.
‘Are you free tonight?‘
‘She is!‘
‘HUBBA!‘ Lilan shouts out in blind rage. ‘I WILL MURDER YOU!‘
‘Until what time do you work?‘ I ask her, but once again, Kiyan replies again.
‘Pick her up at eight!‘
‘I work until ten dickhead,‘ Lilan shouts back.
‘No you don’t. I’m closing.‘ Kiyan walks over to me and puts his arm around me, turning our backs to Lilan. ‘But for real thought. Lilan hasn’t dated in a very long time. Break her heart, I’ll break your face.‘ I laugh it off, but Kiyan really looks like someone who would do that.
‘I CAN HEAR YOU FACE!‘
‘You have the filthiest mouth I’ve ever seen! Go wash it before you go out,‘