Part 9: Running Away

The Promise
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Lips. Soft warm lips against her own. Sana's lips.

 

It all happened too fast. One moment they were splashing each other in the fountain, then the next thing Dahyun knew, she was on autopilot removing strands of wet hair that blocked Sana’s face with one hand and holding her waist with the other.

 

Then Dahyun kept on going. She couldn’t stop herself. Instead of pulling her hand away, she proceeded to caress Sana’s cheek. She tried to think of any reason that could explain her behavior but she couldn’t. Maybe her emotions were out of whack from being so close to the edge of a tall building-- adrenaline coursing through her veins and all. That probably made her impulsive.
 

/That must be it.
 

But then her mind went to Sana. Maybe it was simply because of the older girl and how she looked effortlessly beautiful under the moonlight. Maybe it was the way Sana had been looking at Dahyun the whole night. Maybe that triggered something in her and caused her to lose complete control of herself.

 

She didn't know what led to the kiss. But Dahyun knew she didn't initiate it. It was Sana. She had made the move. The kiss caught Dahyun off guard. It never crossed her mind that Sana could feel that way about her. She had honestly been to busy thinking about Mina. Mina--the girl she made a promise with. The girl she waited 15 years for. The girl she thought she liked.

She thought she knew what she wanted; she’d always been so sure before. Mina was supposed to be the one. But then Sana came crashing through with this date that wasn't even hers in the first place and changed everything. Now Dahyun wasn’t sure. She no longer knew what she wanted because Sana was kissing her and she could feel every emotion the older girl was trying to convey.

 

The kiss was delicate and hesitant. It was soft and also subtly restrained. It was as if the older girl was asking Dahyun for some form reassurance. Sana was giving her heart to Dahyun and asking her if she could keep it safe.

 

Dahyun wanted to show Sana that she could. She wanted to let Sana know that she would have done everything to keep Sana’s heart safe. In her mind, she wanted to do all those things but her body wouldn’t cooperate. She stood frozen, feet rooted firmly on the ground, lips unmoving.

 

She was frozen but she didn't want to be. She wanted to show Sana that she liked how this kiss felt. She wanted to show Sana how much she liked how the older girl made her feel. But nothing. She couldn’t do anything.

 

And when Sana pulled away with a horrified look on her face, Dahyun knew she'd messed up.

Why wasn't her body moving? Why couldn't she say anything?

“I-I’m so sorry, Dahyun. I-I don't know what came over me. I should go. I'm gonna go.” Sana had tears b her eyes.

 

She wanted to stop Sana from running away. She wanted to yell at the older girl and tell her she felt something too. But nothing came out. Immobilized, she watched the brunette pick up her things and run.
 

/Stay. Please don’t run away.

 

When she regained control of her body, Sana had long been gone. Dahyun was standing alone in the middle of the fountain. No one was around to see the tears that she’d been shedding. No one was there to hear her when she asked Sana to stay.

 

As she walked back to her dorm all Dahyun could think about was the pained expression on Sana’s face when she broke off the kiss. All she wanted from Dahyun was reassurance -- reassurance that she could have kept her heart safe. Dahyun failed and Sana got hurt.

 

Dahyun waited in front of suite 877 trying to compose herself. She didn’t want to go in just yet. She didn’t want Chaeyoung and Tzuyu to see her like this. She must have stayed out there for a good ten minutes before finally deciding to open the door.

 

As predicted, she found Chaeyoung and Tzuyu sitting on her bed, eagerly waiting for her return.

“Woah Unnie, why are you wet? What exactly did you and Mina-unnie do?” asked Chaeyoung.

“I wasn't with Mina,”

“Oh? Who were you with?” Tzuyu quirked her brow.

“Sana.”

 

“Ah! that why you look miserable. You didn't get to go out with the person you wanted to,” Chaeyoung teased.

“No it's not like that! At all!” Dahyun replied defensively, “It’s uh...Sana. She kissed me.”

“WHAT!” the other two shouted in unison.

 

Dahyun flinched at the thought of Sana’s pained expression. “She kissed me. But I messed up. I froze and didn't kiss her back. She probably thinks I don’t like her.”

“Do you like her?”

 

“I-I don't know. It's just that there's Mina and her, and all my emotions are a mess right now,” Dahyun confessed plumping herself down onto her bed. She stared at the ceiling for a while trying to process the events of tonight.

 

When Dahyun's phone suddenly buzzed, she hoped it was Sana. She wanted so desperately for the girl to let her know she’s okay. She just wanted to talk to the girl.

“Who is it?” asked Chaeyoung as she scooted closer to Dahyun.

 

Dahyun looked at the screen. It wasn’t who she wanted to hear from exactly, but she couldn’t completely say she was disappointed.

“It’s Mina. She wants to have coffee tomorrow.”

“Are you gonna go?” Tzuyu questioned.

 

“I-I don't know. Is it bad that I still want to?” Dahyun mumbled bringing her hands to cover her face.

“I don't think so. Y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter