the prom

prom season
Please log in to read the full chapter

You dreaded prom almost as much as you dreaded spiders, and you really, really despised spiders.

It's not like you didn't have friends or you didn't enjoy school parties in general. It's just that your dancing skills were questionable, thus even if your heart craved for a good little dance party on the floor, your legs wouldn't move. You looked ridiculous whenever you shook your hips, and you were more than aware of that. Maybe your reluctance came from all the mocking from your childhood when your parents made fun of your childish (yet in your opinion very fancy) moves, making you feel worthless when it came to dancing. After all those years, you said no whenever your friends asked you to join them on the dancefloor and you turned down every guy who wanted to use dancing as a way to win your heart.

Donghyuk would have been no exception if he had asked you to a dance. Yet, despite the fact that he was a super talented dancer (probably the best one in your school), he had never asked you the question. You two were enjoying yourselves at parties, him occasionally making everyone swoon by showing off his charismatic dance moves, you watching him from afar. However, you two didn't have anything to do with dance any other time; you usually had coffee dates, movie dates, karaoke dates, amusement park dates, art museum dates and so on. You never asked why he, and he never said so.

Donghyuk was literally a ray of sunshine with his constant energy and radiating joy. Whenever you were with him, his mere presence shone on your dull days, making everything brighter and happier. He never failed to make you smile with his adorable observations, let it be your new pair of jeans, a fluffy scarf that your grandma had given you on your sixth birthday or the time he discovered that you have a prominently cute mole above your left eyebrow. He loved you with all your messy hair days, outstanding number of freckles and puberty acnes. If anyone was able to accept you with all your flaws and imperfections, it was Donghyuk himself. Others may have made you feel like you have to change in order to fit in, but his constant reassurance and never-ending affectionate were enough for you to feel worthy beside him.

Nevertheless, when the prom rolled by, you were exceptionally nervous. You had been together for two years, and he had previously asked you to be his date for the night with a beautiful cover of your favourite Ed Sheeran song ‒ Hearts Don't Break Around Here. He was also an absolute sweetheart during the whole night of the prom. Since he first saw you in your plain black dress (that you had previously bought for your aunt's wedding), he couldn't shut up about how beautiful you were.

"Really, I just... Wow... I feel so lucky," he emphasised for the hundredth time that day, making you blush yet again.

The party died down a little as hit songs turned into sentimental ones, the dancefloor filled with couples slow dancing.

There was a lump in your throat while you were listening to Donghyuk's words, watching the scene of the dancing couples unfold in front of your eyes. For some reason, you felt guilty for not dancing with him, and you hated the feeling of letting him down.

"Ah, I love this song!" Donghyuk announced excitedly as Day6's I Smile came on and he turned to you with his whole body.

<
Please log in to read the full chapter