Dear Anonymous

Dear Penpal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"But Mrs. Lin...does this mean that everyone has four penpals?" I asked her, to which she responds by shaking her head.

"No, everyone else has only one penpal." Before I ask her why I'm the only one with four penpals, she beats me to it and continues to explain.

"I purposely assigned you with four penpals because I had a specific goal in mind. You see, Momo, Sana, and Tzuyu are three of my students who have failed to do well on my quizzes." She sighs as she shows me their scores. Out of 100, Tzuyu had 46, Sana had 34, and Momo had 0. Mrs. Lin then adds the detail on how Momo just left the quiz blank and fell asleep without even trying.

"With you being fluent in the English language, I hope that you can become their penpal and help them improve as their fellow peer." I tentively listened, nodding every once in awhile to acknowledge that I understood her intention.

"With that said, I also added a twist to this penpal assignment. You specifically know the names of your four penpals, however your penpals do not know that it is you!" She stated rather excitedly.

"I made the penpals for my other students anonymous so that way, they wouldn't communicate to each other with any judgement. There's no problem with you knowing your penpals though because you just recently transferred here." She said as I simply nodded. She does have a point, though to be honest she probably doesn't know that I sort of encountered Tzuyu, Sana, and Mina already. The only one who I didn't encounter yet was Momo.

"Wait but Mrs. Lin, what about Mina?" I asked, realizing that I only received three scored papers instead of four. She gave me a piece of paper, revealing Mina's 100 score. I looked at her with a puzzled expression.

"Huh?... I don't understand, you want me to also help her improve her English even though she has a 100?" At my reaction, Mrs. Lin let's out a chuckle.

"No, in fact she is actually one of my top students. Your task with her is different. Instead of communicating in English, I assigned Mina to instead communicate with you in Korean. That way, everyone is improving on something." I slightly opened my mouth in shock. I can't believe that she really thought this through.

 

 

- - -

Before I left the classroom, Mrs. Lin told me that she will email a half amount of the class individually to tell them to initiate on writing the letter first and that I was not included in that list so instead my four penpals will be the first to write the letter, thus I will expect to obtain the letters by tomorrow.

Part of me feels like they'll find out my identity early on and get that extra credit since I'm pretty bad at lying to someone.

I shook that thought away as I piled up and organized the remains of some classwork that I need to catch up upon. Just because I had Mrs. Lin today as my teacher doesn't mean that she will be the only teacher I have.

The class schedule was a bit confusing initially, but I somehow managed to figure it out. Monday is literature day, which means I have English for the first half and History for the second half.

Wednesday is creativity day, which means I have Art for the first half and Dance for the second half. Technically any physical activity such as sports could also substitute my Dance class, but I ended up choosing Dance cause it peaked my interest.

Friday is calculation day, which means I have Math for the first half and Science for the second half. To be honest I'm just glad I don't have to end a school week with Math. It's not that I'm bad with the subject itself, it's mainly memorizing the formulas which gets me agitated.

Tuesdays and Thursdays are independent study. From my understanding, it's apparently the days when the students study their subjects without the teacher's presence. Most, if any other schools did not have these days, but this school in particular believe that those days are very essential since the subjects have some form of exam or quiz almost everyday.

 

That means I can't use the 'transfer student excuse' to skip an exam..

 

I sighed, feeling my eyes droop heavily as I proceed to take a nap at my study desk, not finishing my work.

 

 

- - -

I woke up from what I thought was a nap at 10:14 pm. I cursed when I saw the time. The jet lag was still affecting me.

I wouldn't be complaining as much if only I had internet. My parents were occupied with work, so they didn't have the chance to buy a wifi box for our house.

I could text Tzuyu..I mean, I had her number and all..but what would I even say?

"Oh well, let's just see what she will write to her 'penpal'." I chuckled amusingly, knowing that I know it's her who is writing the letter to me while she doesn't know that it's me.

With that said, it's not like I could go back to sleep either. I just had a nap awhile ago, so I won't be feeling sleepy till later.

I snuck out again from my house, only this time instead of heading to the park, I walked to the convenience store.

Now I usually mind my own business and try to find the things I need, however after walking into the store, the worker there looked familiar to me.

"Do you need help looking for something?" The worker asked, noticing that I have been staring at her this whole time. Realizing this, I shook my head firmly and rushed to a di

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter