Dear Penpal

Dear Penpal
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Transferring to another country where you do not know how to speak the native language is quite a difficult transition.

Nonetheless, you had no choice in this matter. Your mother was the breadwinner of the family and part of her job needed her to move from the US to Korea. Although she could have chosen to go by herself, your mother did not want to be separated from the family, therefore with the company's assistance, your mother brought the whole family with her.

Moving to another country also meant that you had to be separated from the friends you made in the US. Instead of packing your necessities in the luggage on the last day, you decided to pack at an earlier day and hang out with your friends on the last day you stayed in the US.

Your friends didn't know that you were moving at first and treated this hang out as a casual thing, walking around the area, window shopping, and going to the food court to grab some grub. At the last minute you then mentioned about your situation, in which your friends were very upset about. One of your friends ended up crying, which then turned into a domino effect where everyone, including you cried.

"Mm, I'll miss talking to them in person..but at least I'll still be able to contact them with the new group chat." You mumbled while looking at sky from the airplane's window. Reminiscing about that day, you remembered about how everyone downloaded kakaotalk so that they could keep in contact with you.

In the meantime, you were one of the few who were still awake. Many of the passengers, including your family were asleep. You ruffled through your bag to find your earphones, now placing both pieced in your ears as you then watch a video on learning the basic Korean phrases.

 

If I'm going to move to another country, I might as well use this time to learn the language, especially since I'll be attending to a new school here

 

- - -

So I knew that I was going to attend a school here and all, but I didn't think that it would be so soon.

On the day that we arrived and settled to an apartment, my mother then notified me that I was going to attend school starting tomorrow.

 

Why though?? I still haven't gotten used to the jet lag..

 

I sighed and simply nodded before heading to my new room, unpacking my luggage and organizing my belongings. After doing so, I asked my parents for permission to venture out the neighborhood. With the nod of approval from my father, I placed on my favorite shoes and headed out the apartment.

While heading out the apartment, I decided that I wanted to check out how my new school was going to be like. Based of the details that my father told me, it wasn't too far from here, so from now on I would just walk instead of needing a car ride since my old school was farther.

Arriving to my school, I peeked through the closed gates to see that many students were eating. Apparently it was lunch time right now, but there would still be some students hanging around and eating their own cooked food rather than the cafeteria food.

"Aww mann, does that mean that I have to wear a uniform too?" I complained as I saw the students wearing similar design and color for their formal uniforms.

"Yah, Momo! . . ." I heard one of the students yell out a name, but couldn't figure out what the rest of the words she was saying. I looked at the direction that the student was making contact with and saw a female holding two plastic bags, each hand holding one bag that almost looks heavy.

"Chaeyoung! . . ." Assuming that she called out the student's name, this Momo person then throws the plastic bags up, high enough so that the plastic bags would go to the other side of the gate. Of course, some of the things that were inside the plastic bags, in this case what looks to be like some snacks, fell out of the plastic bag as a result of the throw.

After doing that, Momo then begins to climb up the tall fence, making sure she carefully adjusts her position before dropping down and landing on the other side of the fence.

Momo is then greeted by Chaeyoung and a few other people, who seems to be now thanking Momo for the snacks she obtained outside of school.

All their cheers soon fade though after some old guy in a tracksuit yells at them as they make a dash for it. When he couldn't catch up to the group of girls, he then caught me looking from the gates and rushed to approach me.

". . .!!! . . .!! . !!!"

I couldn't understand what he was saying, but it doesn't change that fact that he was yelling his lungs out to me. Being scared and timid, I ran away, returning back to the apartment as I stopped my venturing for the day.

 

- - -

It was already midnight and yet I couldn't force myself to sleep. I already told myself that I wasn't going to venture out again but here I am sneaking out and closing the door, wearing a hoodie cause it was cold. I walked to the opposite direction of my new school and found a park. Of course since it was night time my heart beated much faster than it should. All the horror movies that my friends from the US made me watch has got me to be so nervous and cautious about these settings.

Especially when I heard a sniff sound. I got a bit jumpscared, but when I turned to see what it was, I then saw someone sitting in the swings, who seems to be crying, covering her face with both of her hands.

I know that I should just mind my own business, but at the same time I would feel terrible if I just left without at least trying to help.

"Um..hello.." I greeted in Korean. The female uncovered her hands and based on her facial expression seemed like she was expecting a particular person, but instead shown disappointment when she saw me, who is a stranger to her.

I sat down next to another swing and tried my best to communicate with her. It's not like I could just instantly memorize what I learned from the airplane, so I used mostly hand motions.

"I...want to..help...you?.." I pointed to myself and then pointed to her. Fortunately she was quick to catch on and shook her head in response.

"Problem..is mine.." the female said in English as she makes a heart shape with her hands and motions the heart splitting apart, trying to gesture a heartbreak.

 

Ahh, relationship problems.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter