Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger

Perfect Stranger just really means strangers. The perfect part just emphasizes that the person is really just a complete stranger that you have never seen before and know nothing about.

 

Going to college is fun and all but it gets super boring on the second year, and yes I am in my second year.

 

When class is over, I walk super-fast to the entrance and stop short to see that cars are passing by quick and some are parked at the side of the rode. It is busy.

The dorm I am living in is just a 5 minute walk, my hometown is far away so I had to stay here and rent a dorm and lucky, I don’t have any roommate or a friend that I can consider one. There are just a lot of people I don’t really want to be friends with, it may sound rude or something but trust me, number one rule is not to trust anyone. Being kind-slash-nice is different.

 

Anyway, as I stop to wait for the right moment to cross the road, I see him again and this might be the hundredth time already and I hope he doesn’t find me annoying.

I take a quick look at him and immediately look away when he turns his head to my direction, he would always have his earphones on and I really hope there’s music blasting in those ears.

 

That guy I just talked about, I don’t know his name and what course was he in but I’ve never been curious about him until a week ago. When I see him too much around the college compound, that made me wonder for the first time after seeing him for a year now.

 

The first time I saw him was when I was still new in college. A week later, I had to go out of class because actually a favorite show of mine was showing at the time.

That was when I stopped at the entrance as usual and looked at my surroundings until I can cross the road safely, I saw him standing near a wall waiting I guess – cause that was where everyone waits for something – then I found him good-looking but didn’t bother the next few days.

Then I suddenly saw him a lot of times every after class, it got annoying at first but eventually I was used to it.

 

After that, he was gone half a year later and I assumed that he finished his study or something which was a bummer cause all I wanted to do is at least give him a smile.

The next year, around the middle of May, I was putting stuff in my locker when I had to flip my hair because it was covering the left of my face. I saw him walking towards my direction but what I did was that I didn’t NOTICE him until the image of his face popped in my head.

 

I shoved my stuff in the locker and was eager to see him once again, he turned towards the exit when I was too late. He was gone.

He was probably there to get some college related stuff.

 

Then there he was a month later, he went back to college continuing his next level of studies and honestly I felt a bit happy to see him again.

 

 

Yet again, I see him everywhere. There are some parts where I get annoyed when I have my bad days or good.

Maybe he feels the same way, getting irritated seeing me mostly around the area.

 

I joined the Media Club, finally became the leader just a month ago because the leader before that graduated and Yejin – which is the leader – chose me.

It’s a hobby of mine, editing videos, pictures, producing, directing and more.

 

That’s why I walk around college often this month, taking photos and making a new advertising video to advertise the college for the next two months.

 

Anyway, I finally arrive to my dorm, change clothes and just sleep until the next morning.

 

I never wake up to an alarm, well, I never put an alarm and surprisingly I can just wake up on my own without any problem.

Putting on just a black shirt with black jacket, matching it with dark blue slim fit jeans and sneaker wedges. Along with my every day makeup, my hair usually naturally let down free and my camera for filming today.

I am all set.

 

For today, I only get one subject, ten in the morning until twelve in the afternoon. I can have lunch and then on with the filming.

Walking out happily – no one really does that – but I feel happy today, the sun is shining and students are just everywhere.

 

When class is over, I walk towards the café and order black bean noodles. I never eat in the café, I usually eat my lunch outside that looks like a park. I just love the huge trees, the breeze and the quietness.

That’s when a friend of mine in the media club approaches me, “Hey Haneul. Umm, you will have an assistant until the advertising submission date,” Jiyeon asks.

 

“Really?” I do not feel excited. “You know I work alone.”

“I know,” she smiles bright trying to talk to me. “This is an opportunity for the guy to be exposed with the media and its best coming from the leader.”

“Is he… new in the club?”

“Yeah, he signed up two days ago,” she says.

“Okay, when will I meet him?”

“After your lunch, take your time. I will be teaching them about how to take photos with natural frame,” she says and walks away towards the club room.

 

I really hope my assistant will work with me miraculously. A first time assistant for me, I like working alone.

 

An hour later, I arrive at the club. Making my entrance, Jiyeon’s class just finished.

“Hey Haneul, you’re just in time,” she says as the students made an exit. “Here is your new assistant.”

 

It’s him, it IS him. My eyes could not believe that he is going to be my assistant.

 

“Haneul, meet Jaehyun. Jaehyun, meet Haneul. Our leader,” Jiyeon introduces us.

 

Jaehyun, now I know his name after a year and a half. Something inside me lifted and excitement kicks in thinking that he’s my assistant for the next two months.

 

“Nice to meet you,” we shake hands.

Finally I get to say that.

 

“Me too,” he smiles. “So, when do we start?”

“How about now?” Jiyeon looks at me and Jaehyun.

“I don’t mind,” he looks at me for an answer. Of course, I am the boss, I make the decisions.

“Yeah, why not, are you okay with that Jae…hyun?” I stutter trying to say his name. Oh gosh, my mouth feels heavy and I can’t open it.

He nods as an answer.

 

At three in the afternoon, where the hallways gets quiet and it’s the right time to film the empty hallway. I get my camera out, Jaehyun is only holding some of the equipment as I whisk away in my own little world of media.

 

“So… you’ll edit the whole video for college?” he asks.

“Yup,” I answer short. I feel bad but I am too focused.

“Are you getting paid?”

“Yes, for two hundred dollars,” I answer again.

“I thought you’re just doing it for free,”

“Yeah but this goes out to the public to promote the college,”

“Cool… cool…”

 

It was quiet for a minute.

 

“Is there anything I can do? I feel bad not doing anything to help,” he sounds worry. I find it cute.

“Oh, oh… no… you’re doing fine. How about I teach you some tricks about filming?” I smile awkwardly, like I said. I like working alone.

“Can you teach me editing too? I am working on one project for a video of the ice breaking session with the new students this year. The submission is a week after yours,” he says. It is sweet of him asking me to help edit a video for college.

“Of course,”

“In return, I will buy you coffee,” he looks away when he tells me. I guess it becomes quiet for a few seconds when he starts freaking out on me not answering, “Oh is it weird? I’m sorry, I shouldn’t ask.”

 

“I will be waiting for that coffee,” I say as I walk a few feet away from him and continue filming for the last shot.

Was that weird for me to try to look cool in front of him?

 

It is also weird for me to talk to him, he’s just a stranger I knew.

I would always meet him whenever I enter the library, getting a drink at the vending machine, going home, whenever I have breaks or just casually walking around.

 

All I can feel is weirdness and oddity.

 

“Maybe we’re perfect strangers…” this one particular song popped in my head so I started singing it, it felt just too… perfect.

“I’m sorry?”

“Huh?” I realize that I say that loud for him to hear it. Oh gosh I can feel my cheeks getting hot.

“Did you say perfect strangers?” he did hear it.

“Did I? Oh… that’s just me blabbering nonsense,” I nervously laugh.

 

 

The next day, waking up to the sound of my phone ringing, I get up and answer it without looking who called.

“Hello?” my voice cracks.

“Haneul, where are you?” the voice sounds familiar, when I look at the screen, it only shows numbers.

“Still in my room, who’s this?” my head hurts to even think.

“It’s me Jaehyun. Jiyeon gave me your number just in case of emergency.”

“Oh…” I screamed in the inside. “What’s up? Why are you calling?”

“Umm, meet me after your class in a restaurant called Two Seeds.”

“Sure, I’ll see you there.”

 

That was weird.

I’ve said ‘weird’ too much.

 

At three in the afternoon, I quickly take my car and drive twenty minutes to Jaehyun. I wonder why he wants to meet me there, probably about his video.

I parked my car just a few shops away and walk until I reach Two Seeds.

 

Entering the restaurant, I feel nervous and suddenly aware on how I look. I feel like crap already.

Making a few steps in, Jaehyun is already on his seat and looking at the menu. I take a deep breath and walk to him.

 

“Hey, I hope I don’t keep you waiting long,” I greet him as I put my bag on a chair beside me.

“Nope, you’re just in time. I ordered two pastas and I’m still thinking of a dessert,” he says.

“Cool, I can basically eat anything. No citrus though, I can’t do sour,” I say.

“Me too,” he nods in agreement.

 

Then comes a few minutes later the food arrives, Jaehyun and I have the most natural conversation ever. Everything just flows and I don’t have to think about anything.

 

“No way, we should watch About Time sometime,” he says.

“I never get tired watching it.”

“It’s like we both often watch western movies,” he beams and continues eating his food. As I look at him – not being a creep – I start to wonder if we never meet like this. I would just know him as the guy I would always see around college.

 

I feel a bit happy that we are starting to be friends. But it seems a bit odd that we are talking instead of constantly seeing each other all the time without properly saying hi.

I snap back to reality and continue eating my food until I finish.

 

Wait a minute, I just remember. Why did Jaehyun wanted to see me in the first place? I forgot to ask with all of our conversations.

“I forgot to ask, why did you want to meet me? Is it about the video?” I finally ask, it feels awkward and my cheeks starts to warm.

 

“Oh… that’s because…” he pauses. “I want to take you out.”

 

Oh.

Oh…

Oohh…

 

“I don’t want to weird us out and I know this is sudden and we just met but…” he pauses again, I see him thinking and trying to say what he wants to say. “To tell you the truth…”

 

My heart is pounding, it feels like it’s about to fall out of my body and Jaehyun not saying anything by the second makes me want to choke him.

 

“To tell you the truth…” he looks up at me. “I’ve been seeing you around college and I think you’re cute. So, when I found out that you are a leader in the Media Club, it was an opportunity for me to join and get to know you. When Jiyeon accepted me, she said that you needed an assistant and I was the right one to be assigned so I can learn more from you.” He explains it all.

 

I want to jump in excitement.

 

“It’s just that, I start noticing you when I see you really often in college. To me, maybe it was a sign that I should talk to you,” he says. “I know it’s weird to say because we never talk.” He chuckles at the end.

 

“I feel the same way,” I finally let it all out. “I mean… we’re practically strangers who go to the same college. I am really glad you telling me this, it must feel really weird seeing each other a lot. Bumping into each other, some of our friends are friends with each other.”

Okay, this is probably going to sound exhausting but it’s weird to have this conversation. Well, I am not use to conversations like this, talking to people like this and no guy ever walks up and talks to me like he really wants to talk.

 

I start to like Jaehyun.

 

“Really?” his face lights up, I automatically smile when I see it. “Then… it would be an honor to take you out on our first date,” he says.

“I am honored,” I pretend to bow and we both burst out of laughter.

 

This will be the first chapter of our beginning.

The stranger I’d always see every single day, is now the stranger I am dating. (Sounds creepy when I put it that way)

 

 

The End