One

Carry on
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“And I told her, starting a cupcake business would be a good idea. But she said she’s not about to risk starting it while I’m still studying. I didn't even have the chance to explain that I didn’t mean a big one because—hey! Are you two even listening to me?”

A frown was written on Yerin’s face when the two people she thought she was talking to earlier were busy in their own worlds. One was about to fall asleep without even touching the food in front of her and the other, who was the tallest of the three, was busy smiling on her own while taking pictures of the cupcake in front of her—with her breakfast also untouched, almost forgotten, at the side. Yerin looked at them for a moment, not knowing whether to be offended more that they weren’t listening while she was talking earlier or because the food she cooked after waking up a lot earlier than them was ignored.

Yerin decided she was offended by both.

And what else would be better than to have a little revenge of her own. “Alright.” She whispered to herself, standing up, going near her friend who was now asleep with her head bowed before whispering, “Hey Sinbi, wake up. I heard someone say that Sowon’s about to get married.”

In an instant, the friend woke up with a loud scream which, in turn, surprised their tallest friend who almost dropped her phone if not for the fact that she was able to grab it back to safety. “What’s burning?!” She repeatedly asked in panic as soon as she saw her friend at the other end of the table panicking and scrambling to her feet.

“I object—where’s my shoes?! I object!”

“Your shoes are burning?!”

Yerin rolled her eyes and went back to her seat to continue eating while her two companions froze the moment they realized that one, there was no fire at all; and that two, there was no wedding that was about to happen. “Hey, Jung Yerin! What was that about?” Sinbi asked with a frown, ignored by Yerin who, with nonchalance, shrugged her shoulders. Sinbi went back to her seat now full-on glaring. “Yuju and I could have had a heart attack.”

Yuju agreed with a huff and started putting on the cupcakes inside the box. “That’s right.”

Yerin pointed at the plates still full of food, “I woke up at 4am in the morning to cook breakfast...” before pointing at the box of cupcakes Yuju kept safely by her side, “...and bake those cupcakes.” She said, leaning her back against the chair and crossed her arms against her chest. “And just when I’m trying to have conversation as a family should during breakfast, I get ignored. Now, do you want to start a game of who gets to complain or eat breakfast and talk like any normal family?”

“I-I mean, Sinbi’s right only with the heart attack part.” Yuju said before trying to laugh off Yerin’s stare knowing fully well what’s behind it. “I feel like I’m gonna die of a heart attack if I don’t eat now—yum!” Yuju said, hurriedly picking up the spoon to pick the first thing on her plate and looked away from Yerin as soon as she had the chance.

“Right! And what do you mean—how could we ignore you?” Sinbi asked, starting on her own plate. She didn’t know what happened but Yerin seemed to be in a bad mood and was acting unusual. She knows she should just try anything to get herself and Yuju out of trouble. “And these are delicious by the way. If I didn’t know you prefer baking I would say you should really start your own restaurant.”

“Oh, so you were listening to me all along?” Yerin asked, raising an eyebrow as she watched Yuju and Sinbi munch on their foods without looking at her.

“Of course!” The two said in chorus.

“Where did I stop talking again?”

Yuju and Sinbi stared at each other, silently urging each other to be the one to speak. But as many silent communications go, the two of them missed a single point of understanding.

“Pop shake.” “Pet crate.”

Hearing the answers, Yerin looked at the two not even with disappointment or frustration but with an utter confused and judgmental look. “What?”

“Pet crate? Really?” Yuju threw the question to Sinbi who has the same accusing look towards her.

“How about yours? What the heck’s a pop shake?”

Knowing that things would be endless if she’s not to interfere, Yerin finally gave in and sighed. “Okay, okay, stop arguing.” She said, emphasizing that they should just stop talking by showing her palms and closing it as if these were the mouths of her companion. “Just eat.”

“Why are you even in such a bad mood today?” Yuju asked as she continued eating, finally daring to ask as Yerin would usually be tip-top and all positive most of the time. “You were so excited before leaving last night because of the cupcake shop.”

“Right… what happened to that?” Sinbi asked, stopping halfway from munching her food when she saw Yerin with her eyes closed while murmuring something to herself. Clueless that it was just Yerin trying to calm herself so as not to entirely lose her patience. “Yerin? Did it not go well?”

But that was the last straw.

“That's what I kept on rambling about for the past twenty minutes!”

Escape. It was at this moment that even without any word, Yuju and Sinb had perfectly understood each other—they have to escape.

“Would you look at the time? Ha ha ha Sinbi and I have to go or we’ll be late.” Yuju said. Forget about food. Their lives are at stake. Yuju thought as she took her bag and stood in a hurry, meeting Sinbi who brought the plate with her.

“The cupcakes.”

Yerin reminded Yuju and Yuju nodded her head, moving as fast as she could in taking the cupcakes, almost hesitating when she saw Yerin holding it and giving it to her but still ended up taking it as carefully as she could. “We’ll take care. Be safe. Bye.”

Without a word, Yuju gave Sinbi a look that said that she should start walking after seeing Yerin’s nod and closed her eyes, hoping to calm herself a little bit more before speaking. “The plate and your bag, Sinbi.” She once again reminded them but as soon as she opened her eyes there was no more sign of her two companions. In realization, Yerin was hit with a panic and immediately took the things left by her companion and immediately ran towards the front door. “I said the plate and your bag, Hwang Sinbi!”

"Do you think Yerin would've calmed down already when we get home later?" Sinbi asked, munching an extra cupcake that Yerin gave her and Yuju when she ran after them to give Sinbi her bag and to take back the plate Sinbi almost carried to school. At least, despite being in a bad mood, Yerin still cared for them enough to not let them go hungry when she knew they had an early class that day. "This is really good. You should thank her for helping you get noticed by your crush." She said, starting another topic even before Yuju could answer her previous one.

"Most probably. I wish Jihyo didn't have to be in Japan right now. She could've helped us." Yuju sighed, thinking about their friend who was currently away (and couldn't save them). Then, she noticed that Sinbi was already done with eating but was now suspiciously staring at the box Yuju held safely in her arms. Immediately getting what was running through her friend's head, Yuju moved further away from her friend. "Don't even think about it, Sinb." She warned. "These aren't for you."

"I know that." Sinb rolled her eyes, grumbling and rolled her eyes when she saw Yuju still looking at her with a warning. "You don't have to kill me in your head. I know how important your crush is to you."

"At least that's clear." Yuju said with a proud huff, smiling brightly once again when she looked at the box in her hands. "She's definitely gonna love me—this cupcake, I mean." She said before blushing on her own. "Yuju, get hold of yourself."

"I hope you know you look like an idiot."

Yuju immediately frowned and glared at her friend who gave the comment. "At least my crush knows my existence."

Sinbi attempted to attack Yuju but the latter was able to easily run away from her. "I hope you get constipation!"

Stopping when she's at a safe distance, Yuju stopped and turned to Sinbi who was resting while panting, "Still too slow! I'll see you after school!" Yuju grinned and waved goodbye before going on her way to class.

"Good job, Yuju. You're really going to impress Chaeyeon now." Yuju talked to herself, imagining just how much her crush would love her gift.

The box of cupcakes on top of her table did not interest her one bit. If she’s to be honest, she doesn’t even know why the girl in front of her was talking to her at all. More than that, even giving her a box of cupcakes that she knew was a gift to the other. “My friends and I are currently on a diet so we can’t eat it.” The woman who was receiving the unsolicited gift and explanation looked up with a raised eyebrow. Still thinking whether she should say something or not, she ended up not having to choose any because the woman who was giving the box to her left with her last words. “Just take it. Think of it as a gift from your seniors.”

She has no interest in it but not knowing what else to do with the box, she decided to keep it. Her best friends would have more interest in it than she did, that’s for sure.

The club president arrived and asked them for a minute to take a breath before explaining what they will do for the club activities but the moment the forum actually started, her need to leave was already strong. Though, she did not leave or else she’ll have to face a more exhausting activity which is to pretend to listen to their president’s sermon to which even Eunha, her best friend, could not save her from. And so, she settled with pretending to listen although her brain merely received bits and pieces of the information the president was speaking.

“And so for this year our club would redo a project from two years ago which is to make a compilation of short stories.” At this point, the alarm inside her head was already ringing knowing that it was something that she, too, would have to do if she did not think of any way to not participate at all. “Everyone would have to write one for us to choose from and you’re given two months to complete it. I’ll email the other details later but the officers had a vote earlier and the theme would revolve around romance. If you have any question you can raise it in our group chat or next meeting. You can write one, two, or more stories but please make sure to have at least one because it is still part of our club activities.”

The president observed the faces of all the members of the club and she was satisfied that at least, as she guessed, only one person had a problem with the project. The good thing is that she already knows how to handle it. And so, as she adjourned the club, it did not surprise her when that same person approached her. “You have to do it, Umji. You’re part of the club and you can’t talk your way out of it.” She said even before the person can speak.

“Can I quit the club instead?”

“No.”

More amused than annoyed, the president watched Umji as the latter tried to think of a way to avoid their project. “You sure I can’t quit?” Umji asked as if to make sure, making the president giggle because she’s starting to realize what Eunha was talking about when she personally gave her ‘instructions’ on what to do with Umji under her care—club. “I’m sure my question is not a joke.”

“I’m sorry.” The president apologized first for laughing before finally answering. “Yes, I am sure. You can’t quit because then you’ll have to answer to Sowon and especially Eunha who asked me to let you join this club. You have to do the project as part of it.”

“Well, that’s a shame.” Umji said, still looking calm and collected though the president was sure that she’s still not finished with trying to think of a way to help herself out of this ‘dilemma’.

“How about you come with me while you think of a solution? I’m meeting Eunha now.”

“That’s a good idea. She’ll be able to help.” Umji started walking ahead, now looking forward to meeting her friend.

“You can’t get her to convince me to excuse you from this project, Umji. So, don’t even try that.”

“You kept on taking away my ideas even before I implemented it.” Umji said flatly, the president thought that the younger one was already annoyed but immediately thought otherwise and smiled at the next words she heard. “You’re tougher than you look, Sana.”

“I’m taking that as a compliment.” Sana said, smile getting bigger as Umji nodded her head to agree that it was indeed a compliment coming from her. “I don’t even know why you act as if you can’t write it. You’re able to write for our exercises last semester and I swear I thought they were good even though you didn’t seem to have interest in it at all.”

“I really don’t.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter