ch 2

Fear

Note : The hanahaki disease is a disease where the victim vomits flower petals when they suffer from unrequited love.

It ends when the beloved returns their feelings (romantic love only; strong friendship is not enough), or when the victim dies.

It can be cured through surgical removal, but when the infection is removed, the victim's romantic feelings for their love also disappear.

***

 

Honestly speaking, never cross in Sungyeol’s mind that Myungsoo would have Hanahaki disease. Not in thousand years.

Sungyeol wasn't disrespecting Myungsoo or said the younger didn't have the heart to fall in love but to think that someone super perfect like Myungsoo suffered from this unrequited love illness was beyond him.

Myungsoo was someone who has everything, a visual, a good manner, a good vocal, a good brain, a good personality and many more… it would be a long list just to write Myungsoo’s charms down. He also got enough love from public and fans, not to mention the love he’s getting from his family and colleagues. His nickname shinmolnam -a man whom God gave everything- said it all.

So the fact that Myungsoo suffered from hanahaki still didn’t set right in Sungyeol’s mind. He was too perfect to have his feeling unrequited. As far as Sungyeol knew, no one could resist Myungsoo. People love him. Even occasionally, he got bloody petals packages from his sasaeng fans as the proof of their devotion and love for the Infinite visual.

But yeah, in this cruel world, no one could have everything. Even for someone as special as Myungsoo.

“If you gonna tell me that I need to get the surgery, I refused to do it, Sungyeol.” responded Myungsoo firmly after Sungyeol screamed his lung out.

“What?! What the hell are you talking about? You need to get that damn surgery, Myungsoo!” Sungyeol furrowed his eyebrow, clearly disagree.

“No.” Myungsoo replied sternly.

“Are you insane?!” Sungyeol shouted, wished no one would come inside the restroom. He didn't want anyone witnessing their quarrels, moreover the fact that the almighty Kim Myungsoo threw up petals. If it leaked to the public, it would cause a big uproar.

Debuting as an idol was difficult. They needed to always maintain their emotion in check. They didn’t allow to feel the bitter taste of unrequited love, their career didn’t let them suffer from Hanahaki disease. Their contract even stated that matter clearly. It was a precaution.

Hanahaki disease could ruin their effort in one blow. It could affect their reputation in a bad way. It was a big scandal for an idol because idol supposed to love their fans, not harbor any feeling for a specific person. 

And Sungyeol wouldn’t want Myungsoo’s name being tarnished just because of this stupid disease. They worked so hard for years to achieve their position now. Sungyeol didn't want to witness the downfall, because Myungsoo is his precious friend, because he didn't want his best friend's face plastered on every news platforms and his unrequited love story was written there. He didn’t want the reporter digging up the pathetic situation then writing it as they want just for clickbait. 

“You’re an idol, Myungsoo! A public figure!” stated Sungyeol, as if his friend who still sitting weakly in the floor was forgetting about his occupation.

“So what?!” Myungsoo barked at the taller guy. He knew about his status, he was aware one hundred percent about this matter. He knew the risk. “It’s not your place to tell me what to do, Yeollie!”

“I’m your best friend! I have all the right, Soo!” Sungyeol countered, “Are you gonna let your stupid feeling ruin everything?!”

“Don’t play that best friend card when you never care about me, Sungyeol!” Myungsoo snapped, voice suddenly came loud. “And don’t you dare to insult my feeling like that! It’s not stupid!”

“I care about you, damn it!” Sungyeol shouted in frustration. “You could die, Myungsoo! Those cruel petals can kill you!”

“You only care about my reputation!! You don’t care about me as a whole, Sungyeol!”

Myungsoo drew his eyes up, meeting with Sungyeol’s doe eyes. His breath hitched when he realized there were tears hanging on those eyes. Myungsoo opened his mouth but no voice came out as if he lost his ability to talk.

The silence filled the room once again. They stared at each other without exchanging any word. The atmosphere in the room was heavier than he cared to admit.

Sungyeol letting a loud heavy sigh.

“We talk later, let’s go home”

Sungyeol pulled Myungsoo up from the floor, leaning the younger’s body on his chest. He circled his arm around Myungsoo’s waist to make him stand straight. He dragged Myungsoo out from the restroom.

A couple passed by them drunk on their feet. Sungyeol dodged when the girl almost hit Myungsoo’s body. The younger guy already passed out in Sungyeol’s arm.

“Yeolliiee!!!” Dongwoo basically jumped in front of Sungyeol, startling the poor tall guy. Myungsoo who was inside Sungyeol’s hold only grunted softly.

“I and Myungsoo will leave first. Have fun hyung!”

“No~ why are you leaving? I still wanna hang out with you two~” Dongwoo latched on Sungyeol’s body, acting like a kicked puppy. The elder was whining in the middle of the club. 

Sungyeol pressed his lips together. 

“Next time, hyung. Myungsoo is drunk. I’ll bring him home.” Sungyeol tightened his grip on Myungsoo’s waist. “You should go home too, hyung.”

“It’s too early to leave, Sungyeol-ah~ let’s have fun more~”

“Next time, hyung!” said Sungyeol, the voice came so sternly as if giving a warning to Dongwoo.  “I’ll let you drag me out later.”

“Fiinneee~” Dongwoo pouted. He stepped back, giving up to persuade Sungyeol to stay. "

“Thank you, hyung” Sungyeol tapped Dongwoo's shoulder.

***

Sungyeol brought Myungsoo to his car then carefully helping the younger to sit on the passenger seat, fasten the seatbelt, letting the younger passed out beside him. He slightly glad Myungsoo didn’t drive alone to the club so he won’t have any worries about Myungsoo’s car.

He contemplated whether to bring Myungsoo to his home or the younger’s apartment but then decided to take Myungsoo to his home. Leaving Myungsoo alone in this state was dangerous, at least, he could call an ambulance or do something if Myungsoo’s condition worsened.

Sungyeol inspects Myungsoo’s sleeping figure. His heart clenched in pain when he noticed the wrinkles on Myungsoo’s forehead, there’s also a track of dried tears on his cheeks. The younger was looking so stressed even in his sleep.

“You deserve better, Myungsoo”

He caressed Myungsoo’s soft skin using his thumb, smiling apologetically.

****