Chapter 1

Hogwarts_9

“Miss Park! Feet off the desk, stop playing with your quill and write the lines. I won’t ask you again.” That was the 6th time Professor Flitwick had said that and it wouldn’t be the last she’d hear it.

 

She paused and stared at the short professor. She sighed, pulling the quill from between and nose where she was balancing it. She made a show of picking each foot off her desk and slamming them to the ground, giving the man a fake smile when he glared at her and rolling her eyes when he looked away. She gazed at the sand falling in the timer, seeing she had about a fourth of the time left before she could leave. She fiddled with her quill as she looked at her blank piece of parchment before dipping it in the ink jar and placing the tip on the paper.

 

I will not- dip- charm the water in- dip- the Hufflepuff bathroom- dip- to dye the- dip- students purple.

 

One down, 49 to go. Jiwon wrote about 4 more lines before exhaling harshly and tossing her quill down. She ran her fingers through her hair as she gazed around the room. She had been in this room so many times she had it memorized. She knew which books were out of place on the shelves and that the front row of desks was too close to the row behind it, closer than usual. She had the cracks in the floor memorized and she always sat in the third row, third from the edge because that chair was slightly taller than the others and she liked the little boost of height it gave her.

 

She looked back to Professor Flitwick, seeing he was ducked over his own work, muttering to himself as he scribbled down notes. She mumbled a quick, wandless spell under her breath to copy the lines she’d already written. Her parchment filled up in seconds with the words. She scribbled down a few more, as she felt his eyes on her. She counted to make sure she had all 50 before standing and walking to the front desk. She slapped the parchment onto his desk, waiting impatiently as he slowly counted to make sure she had all the lines. He opened a drawer in his desk and pulled out her wand, barely extending it to her before she snatched it up.

 

Jiwon was out of the room in seconds, speed walking down the hall to make it back to her common room before that nights’ rounds started. They always gave her detention late at night, practically including her rushing as part of her punishment. She took some shortcuts, cutting through classrooms and ducking behind statues to make it to the dungeons in a matter of minutes. She slipped into the cellars just as she heard the prefect walking somewhere behind her. She whispered the password to the left wall, thankful she overheard a 3rd year in the hallway saying it would change during the time she was in detention. The doorway opened in the stone to her right and she walked into the common room.

 

Jiwon was ready to quickly grab her sleeping clothes and sneak out to the prefects shower. She passed the glass wall that looked into the lake, waving to the couple of mermaids that swam by and signing a quick good night. She didn’t get very far into the common room when someone called out to her.

 

“How many lines did old Flitty make you write tonight?”

 

Jiwon slowed her walked and made a large arc in the direction of the voice. She pulled her tie loose as she spoke. “50 but I only wrote 10 of them because I copied the rest of them.”

 

Saerom peeked over the top of the book she was reading, brows furrowed. She looked back at the words as she responded. “Don’t they take your wand away in detention?”

 

Jiwon snapped the tie off of her neck as she smirked to herself. “Yep!”

 

Saerom looked back up, moving the book out of the way to see Jiwon’s face better. “You can do wandless magic?” she asked with a small look of wonder on her face.

 

Jiwon just winked in response, cocky smirk still plastered on her face. Saerom rolled her eyes and picked her book back up, changing the topic with her next question. “What’d you do this time?”

 

Jiwon worked on taking her robe off. “I charmed the water in the Hufflepuff bathrooms to turn the students purple when they showered.” She smiled at her own prank, still finding the humor in it hours later.

 

Saerom quirked an eyebrow, not taking her eyes off her book. “How did you get into their common rooms?”

 

Jiwon climbed over the back of the couch Saerom was lounging on. She settled between the back of it and the older girl’s legs, dangling her own over Saerom’s thighs. She ignored the grunts Saerom released in protest to the intrusion of her personal space. “Hayoung let me in.”

 

Saerom hummed sarcastically. “Of course she did. Remind me to slap her tomorrow at breakfast.” Jiwon chuckled softly, relaxing into the couch, and in return- into Saerom. They sat in silence for a few minutes; the only noises they heard was the crackling of the fire and the turning of book pages. “How many pranks have you pulled this week?”

 

Jiwon took a second to think back to the days before, counting up everything she’s done. “Three,” she announced after a pause.

 

Saerom responded as she turned a page. “Right there was the one with the broomsticks.”

 

Jiwon smiled to herself and nodded. She served detention for that one 3 days ago.

 

Jiwon gazed at the group of first years standing around Madam Hooch as she explained to them how to get their broom from the ground and into their awaiting hand. They were struggling with it as most first years do. A few of the students had managed to get the broom into their hand, but most of them still struggled. She watched boredly as they completed that task and watched them begin to mount their brooms.

 

She sat up straighter, suddenly, as an idea popped into her head. She pulled her wand out of her bag and glanced to make sure no one was looking at her. She muttered under her breath and waved her wand in the direction of the hovering students. She watched as the air shimmered at the tip of her wand. She thanked the beings above that this charm didn’t have any color to it.

 

She sat back against the tree behind and watched as the magic took place. The students who were already struggling to get their brooms to move forward now dealt with their brooms jerking them at an odd angle. They moved around frantically, starting to panic at how little control they had.

 

Madam Hooch began yelling. “Get it together! Stop messing around!”

 

Some of the students yelled back through their panic.

 

“I can’t help it!”

 

“I’m going straight but it’s moving sideways!”

 

“It feels weird like something’s wrong with it!”

 

Jiwon couldn’t hold her laughter in as she watched the students begin to grow more chaotic. A few of them ran into each other, knocking them off their brooms. One ran her broom into the ground as another ran his into the statue in the courtyard. Her laughter stopped as Madam Hooch yelled out to her.

 

“Miss Park!”

 

Jiwon choked on her laugh, immediately sobering up. She locked eyes with the furious woman, seeing that she was pointing for her to come over. She slowly gathered her things and lazily made her way over to the still screaming group of students. She walked up to Madam Hooch with a raised eyebrow, almost as though she wondering why she was being called over.

 

“Put an end to this. Now.” Jiwon rolled her eyes and pulled one hand out of her pocket, waving it in the direction of the mob. The chaos stopped immediately as the brooms halted their movement. Most of the kids fell off and landed harshly on the ground while a few luckier ones managed to stumble and stay upright.

 

Jiwon didn’t miss the look Madam Hooch gave her at the wandless magic display, but she didn’t give the woman time to point it out. “Detention?” she asked with a bit of attitude, already knowing the answer.

 

“Not quite yet,” Madam Hooch said, maintaining firm eye contact with Jiwon. The woman wasn’t expecting the young Slytherin to hold her ground in their little staring contest, so she eventually turned away after some time. She spoke to one of the students after he recovered from crashing into the ground. “Go get the Headmistress. Ask her to come down here in her quickest manner.” The young Ravenclaw boy rushed off in the direction of the castle, his robes billowing behind him.

 

Jiwon pulled at the strap of her messenger bag as she kicked the grass at her feet. She quickly grew impatient waiting for the Headmistress to get down there. Just as she was about to crawl out of her skin from standing there, she saw the Headmistress and the young Ravenclaw approaching. Jiwon perked up at the familiar sight of a disappointed Professor McGonagall. She gave a small wave with her thumb still stuck in the strap of her bag.

 

The Headmistress sighed and folded her hands together. “Why am I not surprised that you’ve done something again?” McGonagall raised an eyebrow in disappointment, lips pursed.

 

Jiwon slouched a bit under the woman’s scrutiny. “I was just having a little bit of fun. I wasn’t going to hurt any of them.”

 

“You didn’t know that upon casting that charm. What if it had gone wrong?” Madam Hooch snapped at the girl. Jiwon was taken aback at the tone of her voice.

 

McGonagall raised a hand to the other woman, silencing anything else she may have said. “Miss Park.” Jiwon looked back to the Headmistress. “If you would please show me what exactly happened again. I need to see this with my own eyes.”

 

Jiwon gently brought her wand back out and pointed it towards one of the brooms. The first years flinched and rushed to get out of the way. Jiwon laughed on the inside seeing how scared they were of her. She cast the charm and tucked her wand back inside her robes.

 

McGonagall looked at Jiwon silently in question. The Slytherin huffed and dropped her bag and robe on the ground with little grace. She stuck her hand toward the broom and caught it as it forcefully hit her palm. She quickly mounted it and made a slow demonstration of what the charm was supposed to do. She leaned forward only to have the broom move at an angle to the right. She placed her feet back on the ground and explained as she let the broom hit the ground. “It can’t go up and down it just goes at an angle. I wasn’t going to let them get hurt I was just having some fun.”

 

Madam Hooch looked like she was ready to explode on the girl, but as soon as she opened , McGonagall held her hand up again. “Miss Park please refrain from make the brooms fly at a-” she paused for a quick second trying to find the correct wording. “-45 degree angle from now on please. I wish to have all brooms in proper working order and for all the students to have an easy time learning how to fly.”

 

Jiwon scrunched her face as she spoke. “It was a 46.5 degree angle.” She spoke again after seeing the blank looks on the women’s faces. “You have to be really specific when making the charm you need to make sure ev-”

 

“Detention!” McGonagall barked at her.

 

“Yep. Ok.” Jiwon bent and retrieved her bag and robe and started to speed walk away.

 

“Uncharm this broom young lady!” Madam Hooch yelled at her.

 

Jiwon just dramatically waved her hand as she had earlier to uncharm the brooms. She missed the impressed look on McGonagall’s face as she stalked her way back to the castle.

 

“You just couldn’t leave the first years alone could you?”

 

Jiwon smiled widely over to Saerom in response to her question. “Now where’s the fun in leaving them alone?”

 

Saerom quickly smacked Jiwon on the side of her head, her nose still buried in her book. Jiwon grumbled at the impact and looked at Saerom in a bit of shock. Some of her hair was mussed and a few strands landed in front of her eyes. “Rude.”

 

Saerom didn’t acknowledge the other girl’s troubles. “What else did you get in trouble for?”

 

Jiwon relaxed into the couch again, slinging one arm over the back towards Saerom. “It’s not as fun as the broom thing.”

 

Jiwon sat in Charms class, bored out of her mind. The rest of the class was practicing the Water-Making Spell, one she’d learned on her own already 3 summers ago. She looked to her left, seeing Jisun practicing with the rest of the class even though she had already learned the spell as well. She propped her chin on her hand and stared blankly at the chalkboard in the front of the class. As she was zoning she suddenly thought of something, smiling mischievously as she moved to stand up. She slowly meandered her way to the front of the room, avoiding the various sprays of water coming from her classmate’s wands. She stopped in front of the chalk board and glanced over her shoulder to make sure no one was watching her. She whispered under her breath a quick charm. She did her best to hid the red smoke that come out of the tip of her wand.

 

“Alright I think that’s enough practice for the day. Why doesn’t everyone take a seat and we’ll get started on the next charm for the day.” Jiwon made her way back to her seat at Professor Flitwick’s words.

 

“What did you just do?” Jisun asked as she leaned over to Jiwon.

 

“Don’t worry about it,” Jiwon quickly responded.

 

“That makes me worry even more.” Jiwon just waved Jisun off and stopped talking as the professor moved to start lecturing.

 

The short man stood on a stack of books in order to be seen better by the room of 6th years. “Good progress with that one. Remember to practice it because it will appear on the O.W.Ls this year.” Students around the room grumbled at that. “Enough with that now. Let’s move on to the next charm. We’ll be learning the Atmospheric Charm. We’ll start the physical movements next class period. For the rest of the time I will teach you the history of the charm and it’s uses.” The class settled into their seat, readying their quills for note taking.

 

Jiwon reached into her bag, thanking the stars that she still had some cotton in one of the pouches. She quickly shoved a few pieces in her ears as the professor picked up some chalk to write notes down.

 

Professor Flitwick had a lot of energy as he began to speak about the history of the spell. He pressed the chalk to the board in a haste to get the notes down as quickly as he was talking. As he moved the chalk across the board, a horrible screech emitted throughout the room. The students immediately tried to cover their ears as it took the professor a bit longer to react.

 

Jiwon slapped a hand over to try and hide her laughter. She looked around the room and laughed at the students with their fingers in their ears or opening and closing their mouths to try and get the ringing to stop. She did her best to avoid Jisun’s death glare, feeling the heat coming from directly to her left.

 

Flitwick tested the chalk again, resulting in the same screech permeating everyone’s ears. “What in Merlin’s name?” The professor set that piece of chalk down and reached for a different one, only for the same thing to happen when he attempted to write notes down. He turned around in anger, looking at the students around the room. “Who did this?”

 

No one said anything. Jiwon looked at Jisun as if daring her to tell the professor who really did it. Flitwick zeroed in on her after a short while, despite her efforts to avoid the man. “Miss Park?” Jiwon quickly took the cotton out of her ears and tossed them on the table. Flitwick looked at her in disappointment. “Why am I not surprised? You’d think by now I would automatically know that you’re always the one to start something like this? Detention tonight,” he said pointedly. “And please make my chalk stop screaming.”

 

Jiwon waved her hand at the board and made a gesture like try it now. Flitwick and the rest of the class all flinched as he placed a piece of chalk on the board and slowly tried to write some notes down. They breathed a sigh of relief when no screams sounded. Jisun balled up her fist and hit Jiwon in her stomach as hard as she could. Jiwon slouched over in her chair, out of breath and sad that her fun was over for the day.

 

“I would have hit you too.” Saerom looked up at Jiwon. “Just saying.”

 

Jiwon rolled her eyes. “Yeah yeah, I know you would. You two never let me have any fun.” Jiwon pouted and crossed her arms in fake anger.

 

“Because you’re an idiot and we don’t want other students getting hurt.” Saerom replied dryly.

 

“Hey! I never hurt anyone on purpose. I just like messing with people.” Jiwon felt a little offended at the older girl’s words.

 

Saerom quirked her eyebrow in a silent response. She went back to her book, leaving the conversation to drop.

 

Jiwon sat for a bit longer, picking at her fingers in boredom. She sighed and stood up abruptly. “I’m going to go shower.” She turned to grab her robes from the back of the couch, folding it over her arms.

 

“You gonna sneak to the prefects’ bathroom?”

 

Jiwon turned to Saerom after she spoke. She had been planning on it, but now she didn’t have the motivation anymore. “Maybe another night. Our showers work just fine. I’ll just wash up here.”

 

Saerom cracked an amused smile as she turned to look at her friend. “That’s the first time I’ve heard you say that. You’re always willing to get into trouble. You’re also always willing to use the prefect showers even though there’s not much of a difference.”

 

Jiwon shrugged one shoulder. “They’re nice. They’re bigger and the water has other cleaning abilities that normal products don’t.”

 

“Oh do they now?” Saerom still had her eyes on her book, but Jiwon could see the amused look on her face.

 

Jiwon smiled to herself before turning and starting to walk away. “Goodnight Saerom,” she tossed over her shoulder.

 

“G’night.” was all she got in return.