the game show host

winner, winner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(this chapter concentrates on maths but I promise it won't come up again in the following chapters, enjoy reading)

 

 

“So no matter what value of "x", f(x) is always equal to some constant value.”
Byulyi kept dissociating. If it wasn’t for the credits she probably wouldn’t have signed up for this class. Looking around the lecture room there were around 40 to 50 other students all supposedly in their twenties and in dire need for some enlightenment about linear equations. The board in front of the class was filled with parables and graphs, all of which Byulyi didn’t bother to write down. She didn’t move all the way to the states and attend Harvard Medical School just to discuss Newton’s methods and how to use them for what the fifth time in her career now. First semester classes really do .

 

Strands of long grey hair got stuck to her forehead as she was staring outside the window watching rowing boats passing by the river and planes crossing the sky high above the busy city every now and then. 

 

“You. Miss. Knowing everything about Sir Isaac Newton already?” The familiar male voice startled her. Although she had heard the professor’s voice going on about linear equations for more than an hour now, it seemed louder and… directed to her.  Byulyi raised her head, paying attention to the front for what seems to be the first time today, when she noticed the professor taking some steps in her direction, stopping where the white fixed seating tables begin.

 

“Your name?” he asked the now hearkening woman.

 

“Moon Byulyi. And I’ve read-“ stopping mid-sentence the rather boyish styled girl contemplated whether his question from before was actually serious or meant as a joke. Clearly, it must have been the latter. And although she knew her upcoming answer would sound silly to most other students, she let her raspy, slightly shaking voice continue to ring through the hall.  

 

“I’ve read his books. The first one “Mathematical Principles of Natural Philosophy” has taken great impact on me I’d like to believe.”  Other attendees were shifting positions in order to take better sight of the grey-haired woman. The professor, a doctor of philosophy in mathematical science, she guessed, frowned but eventually turned, quickly making his way back to the board. He grabbed a piece of chalk and pointed towards the girl he was talking to seconds ago. 

 

“Well then Moon Byulyi, how about a question for extra credits? The famous game show host for example.” The professor’s frown slowly turned into a small grin while the still unconcerned student straightened up as much as the small space in her seat allowed.  Might as well partake in class then.  

 

“From this point on I’ll be today’s game show host and everyone else in this room will be in the position of the participant greedy to go home with more money than they came with.” Oh, how she wished. “In front of you, there’s three doors. Behind two of them is a goat hidden.  Behind the other one, you can find a case full of money. Choose one but choose wisely.”

 

The brains of the other students slowly began to rattle when everyone quietly picked their favourite number. Byulyi went with door number one and by the means of her rather cold stare, others could most likely tell there wasn’t any emotional meaning behind it. Knowing which doors have the two goats hidden, the supposed game show host opened the door that does not have the money hidden and also wasn’t the one picked by Byulyi. The high squeaking sound of chalk scratching was heard when the professor crossed out the middle of the board. He then announced to the class that one goat was out of the game and went to face the slim woman again, who just minutes ago wouldn’t even listen to anything he explained to the class.

 

“I’ll now give you a last chance to either stay with the door you chose or switch to the other. It’s up to you.” This time Byulyi didn’t give the other students around her time to think when she blurted out that she wants to switch her previously made decision. The older man, who was probably in his mid-40s, slightly pushed up his glasses

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter