002

Love Me Not
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Love Me Not

Fairytale

Chapter Two

The whole class listened intently; it was a real-life fairy-tale-gone-wrong story that got them talking weeks back. The first paragraph indicated a lot of melancholic feelings that they all knew well, but while the majority seemed curious all the same, expectancy and sympathy were visible in their eyes.

Jongin felt guilt creeping up on him. His eyes were fixed on the trembling brunette before them, realizing just then how virtuous she seemed despite the obvious grief she was evoking. "She writes well," he accidentally murmured his thoughts aloud.

"You know, of all people, she was referring to you, right? We're both guilty but there's a part of me that's blaming her," said his seatmate whose eyes looked bored. "Come on, isn't she grateful that you at least talked to her?"

"Stop talking," he fiercely demanded in a low tone. You don't need to tell me.

"It has been known that affections should not be displayed in public. It was a strict, unspoken rule, but rules are meant to be broken, just like promises. It sure rocked the hell out of me, and to other people. Everyone broke it: consciously and unconsciously. The finale, however, is foreseen. We hear, read, and watch dramatic sad love stories, so it's no mystery. The protagonists have their own ways of living, of going on, but some simply couldn't let go. Probably because they felt like they were cheated— not in the literal sense, but the emotional way. It took them to the point wherein they questioned their minds: Did he love me back? Or didn't he?

"Oh my god! Have you heard the big news?"

"The powerhouse couple just broke up!"

"Shut up! You're kidding!"

"Why would we? Soojung declared it herself."

"Wait... then that means Jongin is open for dating again?" Like a simple flick of a light bulb, the information registered and got the machines working: Jongin was single again. Call them crazy for similar notions, but it was bound to have come up in any girl's mind. Flipping their hair over their shoulders, they rushed off to find the single beau.

Only to find him holding hands with Min Chaeri.

"What on earth is going on?"

"Jongin, I'm not used to this," she whispered to her beloved boyfriend. Chaeri flushed in embarrassment. She wasn't really used to these people talking ill of her. She tried to ignore the rumors circulating the school, but she still felt very uncomfortable.

Jongin bent his head to murmur in her ear. "Ignore them." The impact of his velvety yet rough voice had boosted her confidence. "They're jealous."

He's right, she told herself. He cares for you. He's serious. Believe him. So, she did. As they walked inside the room, many gasped. Yep, it's true. We're official. She couldn't remove the smug tone in her inner voice. Any girl was bound to have thought that: Jongin was the main attraction, and he was hers. She saw her friends on their specific side of the room, mouths agape. Joohyun looked at her as if she was going to burn her alive, and so she whispered towards his ear, "I'm just going to greet them good morning, okay?"

She didn't notice how preoccupied he was. Jongin was motionlessly staring back at Soojung, who was presently talking to her own clique. Hearing Chaeri, he nodded, but his eyes lingered over Soojung’s. They both stared at each other, feeling as if time had slowed down.

"Good morning," Chaeri greeted as she approached the three. "It's a wonderful sunshine-y day, isn't it?" Her cheerful voice, if possible, was even more cheerful. Neither of her friends missed the tone of voice.

"Aren't you extra ecstatic today?" Seulgi grinned. "So, does this mean that the rumor is true?"

Chaeri let out a dreamy sigh. "Positive!"

Sooyoung was a bit concerned, but she didn't want to hurt her friend's feelings, especially when she was in high spirits. However, it'd be better than to keep the curiosity inside of her. "But I thought Jongin and Soojung were going strong?"

"All that matters now is that I love him," she drawled, "…And he loves me too."

All anxiety vanished from the two's faces. "Good for you," they said. Both of them knew and believed that Chaeri deserved to be happy.

Joohyun, however, was still a bit unsure and against the new relationship. "Only idiots agree to this kind of deal."

"Hey, I'm not an idiot!" Chaeri retorted, “And it isn't a deal either."

"Do you know how bad this is?" Joohyun asked, but she got no reply, and so she continued, "Forget it. I can't tolerate any more of these problems you keep bringing to your life that I end up fixing."

Chaeri didn't expect that to come from her best friend. Sure, she thought she'd be all pokerfaced and cold and strict, but she didn't think she'd be so against it. "Thank you, Joohyun, but I need you to just trust me, okay?" She smiled at her and proceeded to give her a hug, but then thought better of it. When Mr. Kim entered the room, she went to sit beside Jongin behind. I'm sure of this, Joohyun. Trust me.

"Settle down now, I'm about to give your assignment!" Practically half of the class groaned at this. It was the first period, after all.

"Mr. Kim is really something," Chaeri said in a low voice.

Jongin rolled his eyes. "Yeah. Something like an unwarranted freak." He spat out the words like spit, and Chaeri frowned. It shouldn't have surprised her. After all, Jongin never really liked so many people. It was just his best friend Kyungsoo and Soojung.

No, she silently scolded herself. No Soojung. She's a mere remnant of his painful memories. No more, no less. "Right," she agreed to Jongin’s statement quite half-heartedly. Jongin and Soojung were so compatible and well-matched; they agreed on almost everything. They were the 'perfect pair', and no one disagreed with that.

"Now, now," Mr. Kim chastised in an amused manner. "Don't groan at me like that! All I want you to do is very simple." He drew a heart on the board and faced the class once again. "I want you to write an essay on how you see love now, and again three months later."

Jongdae raised his hand and was acknowledged. "But, sir, is it possible to change our beliefs in love within three months?"

The teacher only gave a mysterious smile. "Why, yes. Today is November 14, and three months from now, it's Valentine's Day. I think it's safe to say that there are great possibilities. Within three months, anything can happen."

"I'm so excited, Jongin!" Chaeri exclaimed, obviously keyed up. "I have so many things to say!" Especially now that I have you.

"Whatever," Jongin muttered. He didn't know what to write, or if he'd even do the essay. What would he put in any way? His tragic break-up with Jung Soojung or about the dimwitted Min Chaeri, who was head over heels beside him?

"And you know what? Mr. Kim was right. Anything can happen in three months. The thing is, though, I didn't expect it to be this heartrending and agonizing. I know I have no right to complain, but hey, I can cry, right? Of course… I can. Weeping is a simple response to an emotional state happening with humans. There's no escaping the fact that we are humans, and we've been cursed with these damned emotions, adding drama to an already-filled life. Do you want to know something else? Sometimes, it plain out being a human being."

Mr. Kim gulped back the tears and words of sympathy. Chaeri hadn't even been through half of her essay but she had said so much already. Her words suddenly felt like bullets shot to his heart. Karma was such a freak.

"Stop it, Chaeri," Joohyun uttered under her breath. She had considered hauling her best friend out of the room, out of the school, out to the world. She may be bitter and cold, but she knew she shouldn't. Chaeri and Jongin needed this moment. It was Min Chaeri’s turn.

Chaeri was all smiles as they walked to the gym. It was her favorite subject, getting to move around and being fit. It didn't matter that it was the last subject of the day. "Hush down, PE's about to start," Seulgi said patiently, tying her shoelaces, which Chaeri had unknowingly stepped on in all excitement.

She sighed. "We're not all on the same team, though." She brightened a little, though, when it was pointed out to her that Joohyun was one of her teammates, and so with much ecstasy, she raised a fist to the air and cheered, "Go soccer!"

Idiots., Joohyun rolled her eyes when Seulgi and Sooyoung did the same.

"Get the goal, damn it!" Soojung commanded fifteen minutes later as she dashed around the field for the ball. Joohyun glared at her, unfortunately, team captain. She merely sat on the bench, tired enough from running for the last ten minutes. She saw Chaeri cheer after luckily reaching the net and kicking the ball.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter