Movies

Metanoia (Change of Heart)

10:00 A.M.

 

"Great. Just great", Jiae silently muttered. She rolled over from her bed and walked to the bathroom to wash her face. She couldn't sleep last night. Not even a blink. All she could think about was..... as always, Hyunjin. The euphoria upon the realization that she, Kim Jiae, is now officially her first love's girlfriend is driving her crazy. She couldn't even believe that yesterday evening was real. Everything feels like an illusion.

Truth to be told, she's not even sure what makes Hyunjin agreed to the silly proposal she gave him. But he did. Both of them confirmed each other that they are now officially dating. Jiae looked at the calendar on her bedside. Yesterday was October 15th. Okay, she will definitely marked this special date. Taking a pink marker, she draw a heart on the date. Smiling to herself, she trew her body back to her bed and rolled over while trying not to squeal too much. She looked at her phone and wondered if Hyunjin have woken up already.

'He's an early bird, so he must've woken up already.' She thought as she scrolled through instagram. Just then, her mother called her to eat breakfast.

How shocked she was when she saw Hyunjin sat across her usual seat, yawning. He's in his favourite black hoodie and jeans. A very causal look, and yet in Jiae's eyes he looked so.... prince like. Typical Hyunjin. He saw her and sent her a smile that brings her to cloud nine. She swear her heart is beating like crazy, she almost stopped breathing. Jiae snapped back to reality when Hyunjin called her name.

"Mornin' pikachu~", he casually said as Jiae sat across him. Upon realization, she started checking her outfit. Yup, she's in her favourite pikachu pajamas. The one Hyunjin always for. She groaned and took the seat in front of him. 'God, Why does he have to see me like this? On top of that, after yesterday evening!'

"What's up?", Jiae asked. He rarely came out of blue to her place, unless they made some plans beforehand. He shrugged, took some bread and give it to Jiae. Jiae took the bread and spread strawberry jam on top of it.

"Well, I thought maybe we could hang out today", he said nonchalantly. Jiae could feel her heart sped up a bit. 'Is he trying to take me on a date?' She tried to push the giddy feeling aside, trying her best not to smile like an idiot. They have been going out together for countless of times anyway. Maybe he didn't consider this a date.

"And I wanted to eat some free breakfast", he added. She rolled her eyes and chuckled at his words.

"Do you have any plans?", she asked him. 'He usually don't have specific plans and just decide it on a whim-'

"Yup, bought us tickets to watch some movies", Hyunjin said as he bite his bread.

Jiae could not believe her ears. Hyunjin has always been caring, but has she ever saw this side of him before? She could not remember any time he got tickets to watch movies for them to watch. He's always either buy them when they're there, or watch them at home if there's no ticket available. As if able to read her mind, he chuckled and said, "Well, go take a shower after you finished with your breakfast. Let's go on a date today!" She looked at him, completely weirded out by his actions. He was still 'figuring things out' yesterday. What makes him changed so drastically over the night? 

"Alright", Jiae replied as she hurriedly grab her towel and rush to the bathroom.

*****

They both leave Jiae's house at eleven o'clock. Both of them walk in silence as Jiae got lost in her own thoughts. She wonder how Hyunjin suddenly took her on a random date, which is so not like him. Before they dated, he did came to her house and asked her to hang out pretty often. But all of them are done impulsively. When they do hang outside, he rarely come to her house and pick her up. They usually met up at the destination. She looked up to see Hyunjin's side profile. Oh God, this boy is a gift from the heavens.

"Is there something wrong with my face?", Hyunjin asked. Jiae blushed and turned her head to the other side.

"Nothing.... it's just, weird. You never made plans with me before"

Hyunjin chuckled and threw his arm to her shoulder. Jiae could swore her heartbeat speed up real quick, she's pretty sure Hyunjin could heard the loud thumps coming out from her chest. "Well aren't we dating now? We should date on weekends, spend more time together like other couples, right?", he asked. Jiae nodded and sat down as they reached the bus station. Hyunjin sat down beside her.

"Be honest with me, are you sure you're up for this? I don't want to make this a burden to you... You don't have to take me on dates like this if you don't really up for it! I wanted to become your girlfriend because I want to help you getting better. Not the other way around.", Jiae said. She sighed as she fiddled with the hem of her clothes. Hyunjin poked her cheeks and pinched them. She winced and slap his hands lightly. "Ow! That hurts!", she exclaimed.

"Yah, Pabo-Ji! I want to hang out with you because I really want to. Sure, I never take you to dates like this before. But that's because we are just friends, and I was dating someone else." Jiae bit her lips, trying to hide the red tint on her cheeks. Hyunjin ruffled her hair and smiled gently, "Don't think too much, I'm not forcing my way out to date you. I agree to do it because I really wanted to try to make it work.", he explained.

It was silent for a while, before the bus' engine broke the silence between them. They entered the bus and took the seat farthest at the back of the bus. "Or are you finally regretting our decision to date each other?", he asked. Jiae looked at him and shake her head. "No, no, no. That's not it! Before, I... I'm just worried that I am making you do things that you don't want. Like taking me on dates... shouldn't that be my responsibility since I'm the one who asked you to date me?" Hyunjin laughed out loud as he thought on how amusing this girl is.

"Hey, where's the confident and cheeky Jiae I know? Dating is a responsibility of both parties who decided to date each other. It doesn't matter who ask whom since we're dating already. Hahaha, Kim Jiae~ why are you like this? Ah, I'm glad I take the lead since you're probably way to inexperienced when it comes to dating stuffs~", he teased while she throw weak punches to his shoulder.

"Well, you're my first boyfriend. Of course I'm a bit nervous... in some ways"

Hyunjin's smile widened as he thought about her cute side that he never saw when they were friends. He looked to the other side of the window and smiled softly as the bus drives away.

*****

"Feeling better?", Jiae asked as she gave Hyunjin some tissues to wipe his tears away.

"Well, that was one of the best movies I've watched", Hyunjin replied as they exited the theatre. They just finished watching Bohemian Rhapsody, and boy that movie was so beautiful it tore Hyunjin's heart into pieces. Jiae chuckled lightly as she thought of what a softie Hyunjin is. One of the traits that she adore from him. "You're such a softie, Hyunjinnie~", she . Hyunjin smiled weakly, "Well yeah, but they're such a legend". Jiae nodded, agreeing his statement. "Don't get me started talking about Freddie and Mary!", he exclaimed. Jiae laughed at him and replied, "Oh yeah, I won't or else you won't shut up for the rest of the day~"

"Should we get ramen for lunch? My treat~", Hyunjin asked. Jiae smirked and nodded happily. They both take a walk to their favourite ramen restaurant just two blocks from the theatre. As they got in, they were greeted by one of the waiter.

"Hey guys! Its rare to see you both on weekends, what's up?", the waiter asked.

"Oh yeah, we just got back from the theater. Two of the usual please, Changbin-hyung. Thanks~", Hyunjin replied. Both of them took their usual seat at the corner of the restaurant. The restaurant was pretty secluded, so they don't have a lot of customers. Just a few regulars hanging out every once in a while. That's one of the reason why they like hanging out in the restaurant so much. Plus, the ramen they offer is... heavenly. And there's Changbin hyung, the waiter who's very very friendly to his customers despite his claims to fancy 'dark' stuffs. 

"Alright, wait up!", Changbin replied as he went back to the kitchen. After waiting and chatting for ten minutes, Changbin went back with their orders. They finished their ramen and bid their goodbye to him as they headed to the bookstore to pick up some books Hyunjin been wanting to read.

It was already past six when they headed home. Jiae got tired from all the walking and decided that they should end today's date before seven. When they reach her house, she invited Hyunjin to come in, but the latter refused. "Just tell your parents I said hi", Hyunjin said and Jiae nodded. Both of them stood in front of the gate, silent.

"Thank you for today~"

"Jinx!", Jiae exclaimed before she burst out laughing. Hyunjin chuckled and looked down to his feet. He his lips before looking back at Jiae.

"Uh, see you on Monday at school?", he asked. She raised her eyebrow and nodded, "Well yeah, of course, dearest seat mate. Hahaha, alright~ now go! Tell your parents I said hi as well~" Hyunjin bid goodbye to Jiae and turned around. He hesitated but slowly walked to the other direction. Jiae saw his backside, turned around to her house and was about to open the front door when suddenly she heard him calling her name.

"Jiae-ah!"

She looked back and saw him running back towards her. Jiae looked at him with confusion written on her face. He looked at her eyes and said, "Sorry, for today...."

She kept looking at him, allowing him to continue his explanation. Hyunjin bit his lips, trying to suppress the emotion that suddenly rushed back to him. "I... uh, you know... I couldn't stop thinking about her ... all day. When I drop by at your house earlier this morning... actually I went to her house first. She wasn't there. Even if she is, I won't ask her to go back with me, don't worry.... But I asked you out today, because I couldn't stop thinking about her. And so I'm so-"

Jiae rushed and put her index fingers on Hyunjin's lips, to stopped him talking further about the matter. She knew. She knew all along how he felt today, and how he probably think of her all day. She knew him too well, there's no way he could hid his feelings from her. Jiae smiled genlty and said, "Thank you, for being honest to me" Hyunjin's eye widened as he heard her response. He hadn't expect that answer from her.

"I had fun today anyways. It's always fun with you, so I'm fine with it. Besides.... we're dating, aren't we?", she smirked. Hyunjin chuckled and smiled weakly, "Yeah, we are"

 

A/N : Hello everyone! Thank you for subscribing to this story! Sorry I haven't been updating, I've been busy with school assignments lately. Finally, here's an update! Hope you like the story so far~