Heartbreak

Metanoia (Change of Heart)

A/N: Italic means things that happened in the past! Happy reading~ Hope you like the story so far!

***

"I'm sorry, Hyunjin-ah. Let's break up"

 

Those words kept ringing in his ears, as she left her seat and walked away. As the reality sinks in, Hyunjin frantically rise and run through the door's cafe, bumping into some people as he ran to catch up Yeonwoo's pace. He finally caught up to her as she was about to take a taxi. He grabbed her wrist and turned her body to face his. He looked at her with his teary eyes, demanding for an explanation. Somehow, words couldn't leave his mouth. Yeonwoo tries to release her hands from his, but he won't budge.

"Hyunjin-ah, it hurts!", she exclaimed. Hyunjin soften and release the tension he had been giving her. He released her wrist and tried to hold her hand. Yeonwoo hesitated but decided to let him held her hand.

"Why?", he whispered, trying to hold back his tears. She looked at him with a sad expression. All she could feel is sadness and guilt. Nothing more nothing less. She immediately ran out of the cafe because she knew this would happen and it's hard for her to see his funerable expression.

"... You know why", she replied with a soft voice.

"If it's because what I just saw.... then it's alright. I forgive you, noona. It doesn't matter to me if you like-"

"No, Hyunjin. I... I just no longer have any feelings for you. I just couldn't continue our relationship,"

Yeonwoo's feeling for Hyunjin was real, but it was no longer there. She cares about him, but not in the same way. She couldn't help falling in love with this guy she met at her university. For the past two months, she tried to forget this guy, but all she thinks about at night when she's about to fall asleep was him. She decided to ended her relationship with Hyunjin, because she knew how invested Hyunjin is in their relationship. Yeonwoo knew she's not worthy for the attention he gave her.

"Noona, I could do better. Just give me one more chance! Tell me what I need to fix in myself in order for you to like me back! I -"

"Hyunjin"

Yeonwoo released his hand and gave him a gentle, friendly hug. Tears flow from Hyunjin's eyes. His body started to shake as he tried to control his tears. Yeonwoo rested her head on his broad shoulder.

"You're not at fault. It's me, not you. Please, do not try to change anything in you. I'm sorry, for not being a good girlfriend. Sorry, for not being faithful enough. You've been so good to me, but I just couldn't seem to do the same. Please... let me go. I don't want to hurt you any longer", she said as she tried to fight the urge to cry in front of him.

After a while, Hyunjin calmed down and Yeonwoo looked at him with a faint smile.

"Thank you for everything, Hyunjin-ah"

Before he could say anything to her, Yeonwoo called a taxi and went away.

That night was the last time Hyunjin saw his first love. That night, his heart broke into pieces as tears coming out through his eyes.

***

"Hello? Earth-to-Hyunjin?"

Hyunjin flinched as a cold sensation hits his left cheeks. He looked up and saw Jiae raised two cans of Cola. He took the Cola from her hands as he muttered "thanks". It was a warm summer night and they have their routine Friday evening date. They decided to try a different vibe and decided it would be nice to take a stroll next to Han river. 

"What were you thinking when I got these drinks?", Jiae asked. He shrugged his shoulder nonchalantly, "This and that", he replied. They sat in a picnic mat, waiting for the sunset. Jiae sighed and leaned on Hyunjin's shoulder. Hyunjin put his head on hers. They sat like that for a while, until Hyunjin broke the silence between them.

"Are you sure... about last time?", he asked.

"Hm? What are you talking about?", she replied. She fiddled with his hoodie strings and turned to face him. She grabbed his hoodie, put it on his head and grab both of the strings. The hoodie now covering his eyes. She laughed as she released the strings. Hyunjin laughed with her as he tried to release the hoodie. 

"Hey answer me! You know exactly what I'm talking about", he said as he tried to make his hair. 

Jiae looked at him with a gentle smile attached on her face. She asked him to see her in the eyes and he obeyed.

"Hyunjin-ah, have you ever seen me toying with other people's heart?", she asked.

He shake his head. Jiae is one of those people he could trust and lean on, he could say she got his trust. One hundred percent of it.

"If I'm not serious, I would not even say those things to you.... It's alright if you don't want to do it though. I just thought it could be fun for both of us... and maybe, you can heal your heart along the way too", she reasoned. Jiae thought to herself how undeniably selfish her reasoning is and she wasn't sure if he would buy it. But this guy, the guy she had been liking for the past five years is a bit dense.

Hyunjin was silent for a while. He then nodded and said, "Well, we could try it out. Dating.... on one condition though,", he replied.

"If we were ever broke up, let's keep on being best friends like how we are today", both said at the same time.

"Jinx!", Jiae said as she laughed at him. He was taken aback for a while before joining her laughter.

"So.... we're official?", Jiae asked. She tried not to sound too eager. Hyunjin nodded and said, "Yes, we are"