Chapter 2: Unexpected Storm

Lost in Paradise

Jeongguk opens his eyes looking out the window. His eyes widen at the beautiful scenery- the morning light became more brilliant as the clouds shine like snow, stretching throughout the horizon, moving slowly. Jeongguk looks around, wondering how long he has been asleep? And how long they have been flying? Flying from Seoul to Nassau, Bahamas is approximate, 13-18 hours give or take? He glances over at Dahyun who was fast asleep and Yugyeom across from them also sleeping.

There were small chatters coming from behind him from Dahyun’s friends. Jeongguk peeks over the chair a little, his eyes locking with the light brown-haired boy, Jimin. His gaze soft, Jeongguk gives him a small smile before turning back and looking out the window.

 

It has been hours since they left Seoul, the chatters got loud as everyone was already up, except Yugyeom.

“Hey guys want to join us for breakfast?” asks Jennie standing over them. Dahyun stretches out her arms yawning as Jeongguk nods his head, yes. They get off their seats, he slightly taps Yugyeom on the shoulder.

“Don’t you want to eat?”

“Huh?” mumbles Yugyeom, squinting his eyes as he stares at Jeongguk, “Later.” Jeongguk chuckles as Dahyun and he makes their way to the couch where everyone was gathered.

“I’m gonna go wash my face,” says Dahyun, walking to the back where the bathroom was.

“Have a seat,” says Jennie, patting the empty spot near her. Jeongguk smiles, staring at the sandwich and orange juice on the table. He takes a seat on the couch beside Jennie.

“Don’t be shy, grab a sandwich,” she says, pouring orange juice in a glass and handing it to him. Jeongguk thanks her, taking the glass as Dahyun comes out and sits next to him.

“Do you guys go to the same school?”

“Dahyun and I?”

“Yes.”

“Yeah,” replies Jeongguk.

“No way, I got to SNU too,” she says with a huge grin, “We all do, what a small world?”

“Yeah, weird coincidence,” says Jeongguk, taking a bite of his sandwich.

 

The day was going by slow as everyone was seated back in their chairs doing their own thing, there was not much to do on a plane aside from talking to each other, watching movies or listening to music. Jeongguk stares out the window, the sky was not as bright as before which gave him a bad feeling as he checks his watch, it was eleven am the sky should be clear. He sighs, looking around as everyone was occupied with whatever, he turns to the window again. Everything looked damp and grey. Jeongguk casts his eyes at the charcoal sky, when loud golden streak, a crack in the cloud layer startled him, followed by rain.

Jeongguk turns to Yugyeom slightly kicking his foot, “It’s raining.”

“Oh yeah,” says Yugyeom, staring at him, “It’s natural, we’re five hours away from the Bahamas, they are known for their rains in the summer.”

“Yeah?”

“Why? Are you scared?” teases Yugyeom. Jeongguk chuckles, annoyed, he turns around looking at Dahyun who was sitting with her friends.

Don’t be paranoid, the pilot knows what he is doing. He takes a deep breath.

 

Without warning the Jet suddenly shook and followed by silences. Jeongguk glances at Yugyeom who shared the same expression as him as the Jet shook again this time shaking everything and everyone.

“We’re experiencing some turbulence so can you please fasten your seat belts right away. ” says the Pilot over the intercom.

Dahyun quickly makes her way back to her seat, gazing at Yugyeom and back at Jeongguk.

“I’m sure it’s normal right?” she says, her voice shaky. Jeongguk smiles as he takes her hand, gently squeezing. His stomach tightens, he never really liked flying, he didn’t mind if he just didn’t like it, for reasons like this but it’s fine for a plane to experience turbulence, right?

 

Without warning the jet veered sharply to the left, and his body was thrown against the window, as the plane violently shook and rattled. He has been through turbulences and this was not a normal one- they had to be caught in a storm. Jeongguk closes his eyes as the jet plane continues to shake, plates and glasses crashing and tossed across the plane. The communication system was filled with static, without warning a screeching sound of metal twisting came as the speed of the jet increased. The Jet was now filled with screams, Dahyun squeezed his hand tightly as Jeongguk opens his eyes, looking out the window to find the wing bouncing around hard in the wind. Realizing one of the engines was in trouble as smoke was rushing out of it.

! ! ! he curses as his heart pounded against his chest, one hand gripping Dahyun’s hand tightly and the other the edge of the chair. We’re going down. We’re going to crash!

The intercom turns on again, “This is the pilot speaking. We’ll have to make an emergency landing right away. Put on your oxygen mask.”

 

The plane continued rattling and Jeongguk could hear screams behind him. The noise so loud like a rumbling earthquake. He grabs his mask and put it over his head, as he could feel the pressure building up. He quickly helps Dahyun with hers. He was started to fill sick as he can feel the plane diving fast. could see the ocean out the window rushing towards them. He closes his eyes, scared sitting there hoping the pilot knew what he was doing.

And then nothing, it all happened too quickly, no screams, just silence followed by the sound of wrenching metal as the plane met the ocean, head first into the ocean, sliding like a car out of control, breaking. The hard impact throwing their body forward.

The front of the plane was stripped away from the body as they bounced across the ocean, diving into the beach. Finally, the plane came to a stop and there was almost complete silence- the rumbling of the plane had come to an end.

 

Eyes wide open, they stare at each other, terrified and confused. Jeongguk quickly unfastens his seatbelt, followed by his friends. He makes his way towards the cockpit, slowly pulling the door open. He freezes as he stares at the pilot who was hunched forward, eyes closed, blood on his head- silent, there was no life in him. Everything registering, he gasps as everything he ate came back up and he quickly closes the door and makes his way out. Inhaling and exhaling, trying not to throw up. 

“He’s dead,” he says.

“What?” exclaims Jimin who walks past him, opening the door, “Mr. Lee!”

“Is everyone else okay?”

“Eun-woo is hurt,” says Jennie.

 

They quickly make their way to where Eunwoo was, he had his hand on his forehead, but they can tell he was bleeding.

“Oh my god!” exclaims Dahyun.

Jeongguk walks over to him, kneeling in the front, as Eunwoo moves his hand.

“Is it bad?”

“Just a cut, probably from a glass,” says Jeongguk, “Put pressure on it, where is the First Aid Kit?”

“Here,” says Jimin, handing him a small box. He takes it, opening it and pulling out a small sterile cloth and places it on Eun-woo's head, pressing on it hard for the right amount of pressure. After holding it for ten minutes or so, he gently cleans it and puts a bandage on it.

“How’re you feeling? Dizzy? Sick?”

“Nah, just really hurts.”

“It wasn’t that deep, so you’ll be okay,” says Jeongguk, “If you start getting headaches, just take Aspirin if you’re not allergic.”

“Wow are you studying to be a doctor or something?” says Jennie.

“No,” says Jeongguk, “I had a lot of cuts before.”

“Okay, like does anyone know where we are?” asks Dahyun.

“I don’t know,” says Jimin as he walks over to the window, staring out, “It’s raining hard though.”

“Don’t we have to call for help?” asks Dahyun.

“I’ll go try,” says Yugyeom.

“I don’t think we can stay here,” says Jimin, walking back, “I don’t think it’s safe.”

“Yeah, I think so too,” says Jeongguk, “But where are going to go, it’s raining?”

“The radio is dead as well,” says Yugyeom, making his way back to where everyone was gathered. “

“What!” exclaims Jennie and Dahyun.

“,” says Jeongguk, “We must be close though, we were only five hours away from our destination.”

“Yeah, let’s wait for a little while, maybe the rain would stop or something,” says Dahyun.

“I don’t think it’s safe to stay in here,” says Jimin, “We should go find cover somewhere else.”

“And do you know where that would be?” asks Yugyeom, “We could anywhere right now.”

“Okay guys,” says Jeongguk, “Yugyeom is right, we could be anywhere but it’s also not safe to stay in here, the front is gone, and the engine is exposed. This plan could explode anytime.”

“So, what do we do now?”

“I say we get out, it's better to be stuck out in the rain then be electrocuted,” says Eunwoo, standing up.

 

Jeongguk got a horrible gut feeling that they are nowhere their destination as he stood on the top of the staircase. He gets down followed by the others as he scanned the area for any clues about where they’d just landed. The rain was pouring hard and they were starting to get drenched.

How could this be happening?

 

“We need to find shelter before we get sick,” says Jimin.

“If we go any further, we be lost, what if a search plane comes by and we miss it,” says Yugyeom.

“Dude there is a storm,” says Jimin, “What search plane?”

 

As a flash of lightning lights up the sky, they all scream, terrified.

“I think Jimin-oppa is right,” says Jennie, “What if the storm gets worse, we need to get to high ground.”

“Yeah, let's look for cover," says Eun-woo. 

 

Within a moment of scanning, he spotted cave, not much of a cave rather a hunched over rock but it was enough to shelter them from the rain.

“Over there,” he says, pointing a few feet away, “Let’s wait there until the rain stop.”

 

They quickly make their way into the small cave that was not big enough to stand in. They gather together as they stare outside with the rain pouring and sky still glooming, the ocean tides crashing and moving the plane in results.

Jeongguk squeezes Dahyun tighter who was shivering, as it was starting to get colder and it didn’t help that they did not pack any sweater. This was supposed to be an easy flight- guess mother nature had different plans.

This !