Chapter 1: Bon voyage

Lost in Paradise

It was a calm, hot night in June Friday as Jeongguk leaned back against the drawer watching Dahyun, his girlfriend goes through his already packed suitcase. He understood that she has been planning this trip for a month now and wanted everything to be perfect, so he was not about to argue with her. Frankly, he just wanted her to finish whatever it is she was doing so he can go back to his game. Dahyun exhales, loudly relieved. 

“Good you packed everything I had on the list,” she says proudly.

Jeongguk scoffs, “What’re you so worried about?”

“I just want to make sure nothing goes wrong tomorrow morning, Jennie and her cousins will leave without us,” she says glancing at him, “Just tell Yugyeom-oppa to have his stuff ready too.”

“You’re not going to go all mom on him too?” teases Jeongguk. Dahyun makes a face at him, not amused.

“Do you really want to spend a month at a foreign place with a bunch of strangers?” Dahyun glares at him, “Don’t you dare try to get out of it now.” Jeongguk chuckles. She was right he was having second thoughts about the whole trip. Going to private Island to the Bahamas with a bunch of strangers is not how he wanted to spend his break but that beats the alternative- spending the summer with his parents and their constant petty fights and arguments. He had enough of witnessing his mother shout and cry and his father storming out of the house and disappearing to god knows where.

“I’m not trying to get out of it?” he says, softly, shrugging his shoulders, “If I stay, I would be lying to my parents besides I could use the vacation. I’m just saying, wouldn’t it be better if we like to go somewhere close with just the three of us.”

“You’re so anti-social you know,” teases Dahyun, giving him the nice try grin. She closes his suitcase and walks to where he was standing, “We’ve never been to the Bahamas, it’ll be so much fun.”

“I’m not, I just don’t like being surrounded by a bunch of spoiled, brainless rich people.”

“They’re really cool,” she says, giving a small peck on the lips, “Don’t worry so much, they really cool.”

Jeongguk smiles, as they stare into each other’s eyes. He slowly moves one her dirty blonde locks behind her ear, his hand lingering on her cheek. He leans in and kisses her. She holds on to his waist, kissing him back. After a minute of eating each other’s lips, Dahyun slightly pulls away, chuckling shyly.

“We need to sleep,” she says, “We have to wake up early tomorrow.” Jeongguk laughs, gazing at her, as slightly nods his heads, disappointed.

“Where is Yugyeom-oppa anyway?”

He shrugs his shoulders, “You know your brother tends to disappear without much notification.”

“I hope he is not late tomorrow,” she says, “Anyway, I should head home before my parents get worried, my ride is here.”

 

Jeongguk walks over to black Sudan waiting for her in front of his apartment. Dahyun comes from a wealthy family, wealthier than his family. Her dad is some big shot CEO, chaebol, owning various business both domestic and international. She makes his family look like people from the ghetto, his family has money but nothing close to hers. He kisses her on the cheek goodnight as her driver opens the door for her.

“Good night, I’ll come to pick you guys up tomorrow, set your alarm.” Jeongguk smiles, nodding his head.

 

***

The uncontrollably exuberant blaring of the alarm clock jarred Jeongguk out of his sleep. He glances at the alarm clock at reading 3 o’clock am. . Eyes heavy from sleep, he slowly reaches over and presses the snooze button as hard as he could. A part of his brain and body was convincing him to lay back and sleep but he deeply, if he tries to sleep again, he would be not be waking up on time. All the planning and paper works they have been filling out for this trip to the Bahamas would go to waste and Dahyun would probably never speak to him again. He yawns, rubbing his eyes as he was not a morning person, waking up at 3 would give him the time needs to fully be up for the trip.

As soon as he was done with his stretches, he drags himself to the shower, letting his body guide him as his eyes remain half close. As the cold water ran down his body, the only thoughts his sleepy head could manufacture are the thoughts of flying on a private plane. A part of him was excited, he has traveled to different parts of the world but never to an exotic place like the Bahamas let alone on a private plane. A part of him was curious just how rich Dahyun’s friends are that they can afford to fly to the Bahamas and own a private Island on top of that.

 

After getting dressed, Jeongguk decided to go wake up Yugyeom who was fast asleep. He never saw him come home and he went to bed at twelve o’clock. After waking up Yugyeom, which was another job on its own, he decided to go over all his documents, passports and anything else that would probably get him in trouble if he doesn’t have them. After he was done with his, he went back to Yugyeom’s room, who was still half asleep, but all dressed up.

“What time did you come home?”

“I was at a party so at one am,” mumbles Yugyeom, who looked like a zombie as he stares at Jeongguk through his heavy eyelids.

“, you know we were leaving early,” replies Jeongguk, shaking his head, “Want some coffee?”

“Did you make any?”

Jeongguk chuckles, looking at his watch, “Dahyun should be here in twenty minutes, I’ll make you some coffee.”

“Awesome,” replies Yugyeom with a huge grin.

“Don’t fall asleep!”

 

Jeongguk checks his watch again as Yugyeom sips on his second cup of coffee. 

“Have you ever met Dahyun’s friends?”

“Hmm, only one, Jennie,” replies Yugyeom, “She’s annoying and talks a lot.”

“Hmm, sounds reassuring thanks,” says Jeongguk sarcastically as he sips from his cup of tea.

“I don’t care about them,” says Yugyeom, “We are going on a month paid vacation, how awesome is that. Their family own the Island and don’t have to go through awful airport terminals.”

“Yeah, you put it like that, it sounds quite tempting and fun. But I looked it up, it’s hurricane season in the Atlantic, do you think it’s risky?”

“Well, their parents wouldn’t let them go if they were sure about the risk,” replies Yugyeom. Jeongguk sighs, he knew Yugyeom has a point. Just as he was worried, these other kids parents would not let them go if it wasn’t safe but somehow, he could not shake off the feeling that things might not go right.

“Stop being so paranoid.”

“I’m not paranoid,” he retorts.

 

After Dahyun arrived and made them check their luggage’s to make sure they had everything, they got in the car. It was four-twenty am and Yugyeom was already passed out. So much for the coffee. Jeongguk stares out the window at nothing but lights, he wasn’t sure where they are going and did not care much if they get there and get on the plane, so he can sleep. Dahyun slowly takes his head, caressing it with her finger as she stares at him.

Jeongguk smiles, “What?”

“Promise me, we’ll have fun,” she says, “I don’t want you keeping to yourself locked in the room.”

“I’ll have fun,” says Jeongguk, “If your friends are cool.”

“She is,” she says confidently.

“Can you two shut up?” complains Yugyeom, lifting up his sunglass, “I’m trying to sleep.” Jeongguk and Dahyun exchanges glance, laughing as Dahyun leans on his shoulders.

 

Black Sudan comes to a stop.

“We have arrived Ma’am,” says the driver. Jeongguk hits Yugyeom on the shoulder causing him to jolt up.

“We’re here,” he says as Yugyeom stares at him confused.

“Yap, we’re a little bit early so let’s just wait until the others get here,” says Dahyun.

“So, you woke me up for what?”

“Just go back to sleep.”

Jeongguk watches as Dahyun takes out her cell phone from her purse, “I’m gonna call Jennie.”

“Okay,” says Jeongguk, staring out the window, it was still an hour left until sunrise, so it was still dark to see clearing except for the lights. His eyes widen at the blue and white jet plane a few minutes away from where they were parked. He still could not believe he was going to fly on a private plane, it was surreal. A dream.

“They’re coming, let’s get out, they are not far,” she says. As soon as she stopped, a car pulled up, “Speaking of the devils.”

“Yugyeom!” calls Jeongguk, “We got to go.”

 

After taking out their luggage’s, they said bye to the drive and follow Dahyun as she walks to where her parents were now parked. Jeongguk and Yugyeom exchange glances as the car doors open.

“Come on,” says Dahyun, taking Jeongguk’s hand “I’ll introduce you guys.” Jeongguk follows as Dahyun leads him. They stop in front of the car as one of the people walked towards them.

“Dahyun!” exclaims a girl dark brown wavy hair with blonde highlights. She was wearing a red mini summer dress even though it was kind of breezy outside since it was still early. Dahyun lets go of Jeongguk’s hand running to her friend and embracing her.  

“Wow, can you believe this is happening,” she says as they pull apart.

“Yeah, it’s so excited,” replies Dahyun. Jeongguk glances over at Yugyeom wondering if he was the only one feeling awkward but the look on Yugyeom, says he was as he did not care.

“Oh, who is this?” says the girl, gazing at Jeongguk.

Dahyun laughs, “This is Jeongguk, my boyfriend and you remember my brother Yugyeom.”

“He is handsome.”

“Jeongguk this is Jennie.” 

“Hello.”

“Hi,” says Jennie as she walks over and hugs Jeongguk, taking him by surprise.

“Don’t mind her, she was in foreign places.” Jeongguk chuckles, nervously.

“Are you going to chitchat all day?” says one of the boys, “Get your suitcase out.” Jennie frowns, glaring at the boy with dark black hair standing near the car.

“I told you to get it out for me,” whines Jennie.

“Do I look like your slave?” says the boy.

“Okay guys cut it out,” says another boy, a pretty boy with dark brown hair and purple highlights on the front. Jeongguk stares at him, he was not Korean but Thailand.

“Dahyun, this is Bambam, that loudmouth is Eunwoo.” 

“Hello, nice to meet you guys.”

“Nice to meet you too,” replies the boy Jennie called Bambam, such a strange name.

“Did you invite all your friends or what?” says the other boy by the name Eun-woo.

“Don’t be rude!” scolds Jennie, “As if the plane is yours.”

“Shut up.”

 

The trunk shuts another person makes their way towards where they were standing. He was standing a few inches shorter than the other guys but taller than the girls with warm honey blonde hair that had a slight part in the front. All the other boys were good looking, but he was something else, Jeongguk had never laid eyes on someone that pretty. His face was like a doll, perfectly symmetrical face, with a short noise bridge, monolid eyes but it was too dark to see his eye color. Jeongguk usually never pays much attention to another guy’s appearance but there was something about him.

“Hello,” greets the boy, with a soft smile.

“Jimin-oppa, this is my friend Dahyun,” says Jennie, “This is her boyfriend, Jeongguk and her brother Yugyeom. Guys this is my cousin, Jimin the person responsible for this trip.”

“Hi, nice to meet you guys officially, I only heard things about you guys.”

Wow, he is so pretty. His voice is so soft.

“Hello, it's nice to meet you too,” says Dahyun, “Jennie told me so much about you but you’re more beautiful than I pictured.”

Jimin chuckles, “Thanks.”

“So, shall we get going?” says Eun-woo.

 

A man wearing a suit makes his way down the stairs of the plane, it must be the pilot, he was dressed like one. The man bows down in front of Jimin, greeting him.

“Is everything set?” asks Jimin.

“Yes, young master,” answers the man, “You may board the plane now.”

“Thank you,” says Jimin, “Alright guys, let’s go and make sure you’re not forgetting anything.” As they board the plane, one by one, Jeongguk takes a deep breath. Once he gets on the plane, there is no turning back. A summer break with four other people he meets for the first time... Things are bound to be interesting.