The University Fair

Love Letter
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungeun sighed for the twentieth time today.

 

If it wasn’t Kahei asking her to cover half the shift at the message booth, she would’ve been enjoying the last day of the university fair with Jiwoo. She already spent the first day catching up on her research. And God knows they’ve been meaning to meet after the exams but their plans get thrown out of the window by some things out of control -- a loud Yerim asking Jungeun to drive her to dance practice on Saturday; an equally, if not louder, Yeojin who gave her the puppy eyes to watch her recital last Sunday; and now a shy Kahei who still lacks the confidence to read Korean letters of people for the Writing Club’s message booth.

 

As clubmates, Jungeun is fully aware that Kahei joined struggling with her Korean, so she was surprised to witness Kahei accepting the job. It must be because their president, Haseul, was the one asking, she thought. But anyway, it’s her job now this afternoon.

 

Walking around following the sound of Kahei’s voice playing over the speaker, she smiled proudly at the improvement. It hasn’t been a full term since Kahei moved from Hongkong, but she’s already doing so well, and everyone could see and hear that she’s quickly improving despite her saying otherwise.

 

“Jungeun? Over here!” a familiar voice shouted to her. She turned around to see a relieved Kahei, already off to sweep her for a hug.

 

“You really saved me! I signed up thinking I could practice on my Korean but I’ve been getting funny looks… I think I’m done for today,” Kahei laughed quietly.

 

“I heard you reading a short love letter just now and it was great, aside from some intonation issues…” Haseul chimed. “But yeah, good job! We can polish those next time. You did really well! Anyway, Jungeun, are you ready? You know the drill, right?” Haseul asked, handing her post-it notes. 

 

“Yeah, sure,” Jungeun smiled at their diligent president. “But I thought we prepared your favorite green sticky notes for this event?”

 

Haseul crunched her nose. “Oh. We gave the students different colors according to what they want to write. I figured we should read messages that fit the songs the AV Club is playing to follow the mood. Someone read an anonymous confession while Mr. Taxi was playing, and we don’t think it went across…”

 

“Anyway,” Kahei added, “We’re gonna take a break now, so just read the guide I wrote for you, Jungeun. Thanks again! I’ll buy you coffee next week!”

 

After waving the pair off, Jungeun sat and inspected the table. Apparently, it was a handy guide: green for a quick club promotion, orange for a shoutout to a missing friend, purple for parents urgently looking for their children, red for romantic confessions and peach for friendly ones. Everything else that doesn’t fit would be written in a white paper.

 

Chuckling to herself, she understood the need for the color-coded messages. Haseul really is a dependable leader and is quick to adapt. She reminded the others to thank Haseul for her efforts by the end of the day, then picked up the mic to start reading.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter