Chapter 2

Witness

Faint quick steps were reaching her ears and as it came closer, it became more prominent. Someone was coming; and in no time at all, she found herself enveloped in a pair of strong arms. "If only I can be her, I would have that right to be the one standing right next to you, holding your hand," she had thought. She cried even more, letting her emotions flow. 

 

"Uljima..." Without even looking, she knew whose voice it was and who owns it. That person rested his chin on top of Hyoyeon's hair while she buried her face on his broad shoulder as he continuously embraced her.

 

He did not have the right to tell her to stop crying for he himself was already on the verge of it. He knew about her feelings for Junho and he knew what it felt when she saw that scene. He, of all people, should know how much it hurts. He and Hyoyeon were on the same boat. They both love the person who wouldn't reciprocate their feelings, or so they had thought.

 

Hyoyeon's cry eventually died down and turned to hiccups. "Why is it her, Woo? Of all people, why her? It hurts much more knowing it was my best friend that  he chose to love. But then again, I brought this to myself. I was the one who pushed him to her so I don't have the right to feel this way..!" 

 

Too preoccupied in comforting Hyoyeon and at the same time himself too, they were not able to notice Hyoyeon's best friend coming out of the ICU. However, she did notice them. She didn't know why but she had felt a pang of pain different from what she was feeling now. That kind of hurt when you have just seen the one you cherish in someone else's arms. "Pabo-yah, Taeng! Get a grip. You've no right to feel this way. You already have Junho," She mentally scolded herself.  She clutched her chest as if it would ease the emotion she was feeling and continued to watch them.

 

Wooyoung felt someone watching them and so he turned to look. His eyes met hers and for a moment there, he saw the hurt in her eyes. However, her eyes flickered and it was gone. It lasted for only a second, he could not be too sure. She then gave him a sad smile and proceeded to walk towards them.

 

Taeyeon sat on the other side of Hyoyeon and ran her hand on her back, comforting her. Seeing her best friend in that state after how many years brought back the tears in her eyes. She never saw Hyoyeon like this, not even once, after her parents died. In between sniffs, she said, "His condition is much stable now, Hyo... He'll make it, I know it. He'll be alright now... Dr. Kang said we could altogether see him in a bit." To which Hyoyeon responded with just a nod. She feared that if she was going to face Taeyeon now, she'd give it away.

 

A little while later, the three of them finally went inside the ICU. They still could not just believe the state Junho was in. Hyoyeon tried her hardest to unshed more tears but to no avail, a few still manage to cascade down her pale cheeks. She sat down beside him and carefully held his hand. It was cold, so cold she felt like she was holding an ice. "Yah..." She called in a soft voice. "I told you to drive carefully, didn't I? But look at you now... Babo...." She scolded in a whispher. 

 

The three of them manged to beg the director to let them stay with Junho for the night. It was already 2am. Taeyeon, who was on the right side, fell asleep first and rested her head on the edge of the bed. Wooyoung and Hyoyeon who were still awake were on Junho's left side of the bed.

 

"You need to sleep. Hyo. Junho wouldn't want to see you looking like this. I'll keep watch, ahrasso?" Hyoyeon resfused but Wooyoung could see her eyes slowly betraying her. He examined her face. Her bright attitude was nowhere to be seen, her smile that could cheer up anyone was gone and her eyes just did not have the same sparkle it had. This was taking too much of a toll on her.

 

"Here, I'll lend you my shoulder." He offered and then patted it. Hyoyeon shook her head no so Wooyoung had no choice but to forcibly place her head on his shoulder. "Yah, don't be stubborn. Just rest your head there. I don't want Junho to be scolding me for not taking care of you when he wakes up." Hyeyeon heard him say when he felt her about to move her head away.  "Fine. I'll rest my head on this shoulder of yours but I wouldn't sleep, I'll... continue... to watch... over him..." Wooyoung just smiled at her antic. She already fell asleep. 

 

Wooyoung shifted his gaze towards the girl sleeping across him. He memorized her features. Even when she was asleep, she still looked as beautiful, he had thought. A sad smile grimmaced his handsome features.  He wouldn't dare cross the line between them and touch even the strand of her hair that fell on Taeyeon's face. She is his best friend's girlfriend; what kind of man would he be if he was to go beyond the boundary. She's already taken. So he settled in just being the friend he always was in her eyes.

 

No later than that, his body began to feel the exhaustion seeping through. His eyelids started to become heavy, his system wanted to finally have a rest. He wanted to watch over Junho up 'til the sun rises but to no avail. He fell asleep too.

 

Junho's eyes slowly fluttered open just as Wooyoung's had eventually closed. "Where am I? Why can't I move my body? Oxygen...mask?" Seemingly unending questions popped into his head. That was when it came to him. He had met an accident. All other thoughts forgotten, he immediately worried over Hyoyeon's being and searched for her in the room, if she was there.

 

His eyes darted to the overly familiar figure on his left. He saw her, just her.  She was asleep and yet her sleeping figure still captivated him. But he noticed the slight frown she had on. He can hear the occasional small sobs coming from her. His hunch was right, that she would have been crying. He made her come to the one place she hated the most. He made her cry when he swore he'd never ever let her shed a tear becuase of him. He broke his promise to her, all of them.

 

Junho's breathing started to beome ragged again. It became harder and harder to breathe as seconds passed. His time was running short, he could tell. Life was starting to drain out of him fast so he decided to take one last glance of her. He might not be able to see her anymore. His tired eyes fell on her once more. However, he had finally noticed she was with someone. Hyoyeon's head rested on his best friend's shoulder as Wooyoung's rested on top of hers. His eyes then fell on their hands; their hands that were held by each other's.

 

He inhaled sharply. A pang of pain rushed through his body. His heart. He tried to clutch his chest as if it would ease the feeling but even that, he wasn't able to do so. Instead, he settled with just clutching the sheets of the bed he was lying on.  A cardiac arrest. It killed him to see that scene. It was too much to take in that weak state he was in. "They're now together..............." He breathed heavily, catching his breath to the best of his abilities. He laughed it off in his mind but his tears that fell from his eyes gave a contradiction. "Take good care of her, Woo. I'm gonna hunt you if you make her cry. Jalga....." His hands that had clutched the sheets earlier now relaxed and released the cloth leaving it crumpled.

 

The were awakened by the instense beeping of a machine connected to Junho's body. "Jenjang! Junho's vital signs are dropping fast!" Wooyoung cursed and sprinted out the ICU as fast as his legs could carry him to the doctors.

 

Taeyeon's tears cascaded down her pale cheeks again and she went to Junho's side and hugged him, "No, Jun, you have to live, ahrasso? Don't leave us, jebal! Hyo, Woo, and I are all waiting for you... Please Jun... You can't do this to us!" Amidst the commotion, Hyoyeon stood there frozen in her place, complete horror eveident in her face. She saw the flat line reading of his signs on the ECG. The long beep from the machine signaled it was over.

 

The doctors and nurses came in no time. The nurse separated Taeyeon from Junho and the other assisted Hyoyeon away. A defibrillator was brought beside him. The doctor instructed the nurse to turn it on as he checked Junho's eyes with his penlight. "Give me the electrode pads, Ms. Choi! Set the machine to 200 joules." 

 

Immediately, Dr. Kang was given the pads and he placed it on Junho's chest. "Clear!" The three of them saw Junho's body bounced from the shock. No sign. "Still a flat, Doc!" The nurse said. "300 joules!" The doctor placed the pads again on Junho's chest and once more, his body jerked from the shock. Flat line, still. They repeated it for the last time with 500 joules. It was a living nightmare for Hyoyeon, it let her see the same thing that happened to her parents back then. The one thing she tried hard to erase from her memories. In the end, he wasn't resuscitated. His heart would beat no more.

 

Doctor Kang checked his watch, "Time of death: 3:51AM. I'm sorry." He then went to pat their shoulders and exited the room. Wooyoung finally shed the tears he was trying very hard to hold back and screamed his heart out. Taeyeon went to Junho and hugged him once more, cried her heart out. Hyoyeon walked ever so slowly towards him, dazed. Her eyes were indeed hollow. She was like an empty shell. 

 

As she reached his side, Taeyeon pulled herself away from Junho to let Hyoyeon be with him for the last time. Hyoyeon reached for his bruised face and caressed it. Her thumb gently rubbed his cheek. He was still warm. "Yah, Lee Junho," she said in a whispher. "Ireona... This isn't funny.. ireo...na..," she choked as she said the last words. "You said you wouldn't leave me like they did. Keundae wae??? What are you doing now, Lee Junho? Mwoya ige? Ireona! .... Jebal.. Jebal, Junho-yah..." She punched him slightly and slowly fell on her knees. Her eyes stung, she wouldn't let a single tear fall anymore.

 

Wooyoung and Taeyeon went beside Hyoyeon. They were afraid she might lose it. They tried to let her get up and release Junho but she wouldn't budge. Her hands tightly held his. "Please, Hyo. Don't make this any harder for us three," she heard Wooyoung say through his tears. "Ani, Woo... He's just sleeping. Wait a bit, he'll wake up. I know," was her reply. "Hyo..." Wooyoung and Taeyeon said at the same time. More tears streamed down their cheeks, it pains them to see Hyoyeon like that. 

 

They couldn't do anything about it. It might have hurt them much that Junho left them but it was a hundred times more painful for Hyoyeon. It was Junho that she only had after her parents died. He was her pillar of support 'til now. They decided to leave her for a while for they know that no words can ever make her feel any better.

 

Hyoyeon stood from her seat beside him and hugged him once more. She then whisphered in his ear the words she had hidden for so long, "Saranghae. Saranghanda, Junho-yah. In my heart, we'll never be apart." It happens only in fantasies. It might not work, he might not come back anymore but she'd try anyway. She slowly broke from her embrace on him. She inched closer to his face and their lips just a few centimeters apart, her long, straight, blonde hair somehow became the curtain that obscured the happening. Her waterworks streamed down her face freely as her lips finally met his. They were still warm but it was starting to get cold.

 

She was about to leave him and finally accept the fact that he's gone. However, she saw his finger moved. She thought it was just her imagination but the ECG proved her wrong. His hearbeat and pulse were back. The once flat line had moved up and down again.

 

He came back. He was alive! Hyoyeon stood there and had her hands cover . She couldn't believe it, he's back. His eyes that had closed just a few moments ago, fluttered open ever so slowly again. Without any warning, she went to him and put him in her rush but gentle embrace. Shre rested her head on his and kissed the top of it as her tears flowed freely and fell on his hair. "Thank you, Jun... Jeongmal gomawo," Her voice cracking at every word she said. Junho closed his eyes for a moment and succumbed to her warmth. In that cold weather wherein the downpour and lightning and thunder came altogether, he thought that her warmth was all he needed.

 

In that rush of a moment, she had forgotten that he was gravely injured and was just brought back when a loud thunder struck. He was still indeed weak to even speak a word. Hyoyeon composed herself and released her hold on him.  Their eyes met for a moment. Junho struggled to reach her face. Hyoyeon noticed this and just held his hand to stop it. "It's alright, Jun-ah. I'm just crying because I'm glad, so glad I don't know what to do." His lips slightly parted and  while he had that mask on, Hyoyeon made out the word that escaped his lips. Mi. An. Hae. She shook her head no, "Ani, Jun. It's alright. No need to be sorry. It isn't your fault. Jinjjaro." She then gave him a smile, her usual one, thru her tears. 

 

His eyes closed once more. And for a moment there, panic rushed thru Hyoyeon when she had realized it was just because he fell into a slumber. Her hands were still holding his when she slowly removed hers. She knew better to call the doctor than stay by his side and not get him checked first.

 

As she was out of the ICU, she saw Wooyoung comforting Taeyeon on the chairs fronting the room. Both of them looked up when they heard the door clicked and were shocked to see that though there were tears, Hyoyeon was smiling, a real smile. Wooyoung and Taeyeon were indeed worried that Hyoyeon might have already lost it. But as she came closer, she ran to them and hugged them immediately. "Jun," she said as she hugged them tightly. "He's alive. He came back." They thought she had really lost it but then they took a look from the window and saw it with their own pair of eyes. The machine wasn't lying. He's really back. Hyoyeon retracted from the hug and looked at them with a really big smile on. She was beaming with happiness. They were indeed happy too that he's back. They were so glad that Wooyoung and Taeyeon hugged each other. Hyoyeon let out a giggle for the first time that day.

 

"Jamkkanman, I'll talk to the doctor first and let him check Junho," Hyoyeon beamed. Wooyoung and Taeyeon were brought back to reality when they heard Hyoyeon. They stared into each other's eyes and slowly, their faces were heating up. They immediately broke from the hug. It was awkward after that and Wooyoung had to forcibly let out a laugh to shake off the awkwardness. 

 

----------------------- Time Lapse ---------------------------

 

Junho was still in the ICU after 3 days for monitoring purposes but after that, he was transferred to a normal room. A week passed by like a blur. He was slowly recovering from all the injuries he had obtained. Hyoyeon, Taeyeon and Wooyoung took turns in taking care of him. 

 

It was one of those days that Taeyeon was the one taking care of him when they had a serious conversation. Taeyeon was busy cleaning up the plate on the bedside table where she prepared the peeled and sliced apple pieces. "Taeyeon-ah," Junho called. Taeyeon looked up immediately. She could sense that it was a serious matter, the thing Junho wanted to talk about. He never called her real name unless there was something serious. 

 

"Hmm," she asked and finished cleaning first before she sat on the stool beside the hospital bed and faced him. Junho didn't know where to start or rather, he didn't know what to say. It'd been bugging him for days now and it made him restless. 

 

"Uhm... For the past three years that we've been together, God knows how hard I tried, how much I really tried to forget her, to love you... But even 'til now, my heart is still and might forever be held captive by her. All these times that you've been by me, I'm very thankful. I don't want to give you any more false hope that I love you. I'm sorry, Taeyeon-ah. It's not that I never have loved you. I did, but not as much as I have been loving her and not the way you wanted me to. It's been her, it's been Hyoyeon all along...," Junho finished.

 

He expected a slap or a shout from Taeyeon but instead he heard a chuckle. Confused as he was, he looked up to her and their eyes met for the first after he confessed he loves Hyoyeon instead. "Don't be sorry, Jun. Truth is, I think we both feel the same. I think, the care that we have for each other are that of siblings only. Don't get me wrong, at first, I really did like you. But then he came and entered the picture and made me realize, I only love you as my brother. I guess we were both mistaken that the love I have for you and the love you have for me were true and we didn't both want to hurt each other. That was why, even if we love somebody else, we were afraid to break up. But I'm thankful, Jun. Finally, we're free," Taeyeon explained.

 

Junho and Taeyeon laughed at their silly antics. Only if they had been honest enough earlier than this, they could have been with the person they really love now instead. They finally stopped and looked into each other again. "Thanks for taking care of me for the past three years," Taeyeon said. "Me too," he smiled. "So, mind telling me who's the lucky guy that captured your heart and stole your love that was supposed to be mine?" Junho teased and chuckled.

 

"Yah, Lee Junho," she scolded and lightly gave him a slap on the arm. But even so, she told him anyway, "It's your guy best friend." And as she confessed, Junho could see the scarlet that tinged her cheeks. "I see..." And then he remembered something. "But... Aren't they together, Taeng? Hyo and Woo?"

 

Taeyeon's smile then fell and she sat back to the stool she was sitting before. Her head down and her bangs covered her eyes, so was Junho. "I don't think they're official yet but I think there's something between them," Taeyeon choked the words out . "It was Woo who was always by her side when you were comatose," she added.

 

"I see... I guess we're a little too late, Taeng?" was all Junho could say. "Maybe, maybe not," Taeyeon comforted, trying to be a little positive. "Let's not think about this for now, you need to rest, you know," she added. He just nodded in return. She assisted him as he laid down and tucked him into bed. She leaned in for a forehead kiss. 

 

Little did they know, Wooyoung and Hyoyeon just arrived in time to see that. Without knowing the real meaning behind that kiss, it broke their already torn hearts more. Tears threatened to fall from their eyes but they had composed themselves and put on a smile to hide their pain. They entered the room as if they have not seen that.

 

"Taeng, we're here," Hyoyeon greeted. Taeyeon whipped her head to their direction immediately hoping they didn't see the forehead kiss. "Hyo! Woo... Junho just fell asleep," she informed. "Um. We'll take it from here, Taeng. You can go now, take a good rest. We don't you getting sick and end up being hospitalized too," Concern definitely in Wooyoung's tone and if you knew better, affection too. But Taeyeon was too blinded by her belief that Wooyoung and Hyoyeon have something with each other that she regarded it as just a friend'c concern. "Ahrasso, I'll be going now. The two of you too," 

 

Time Lapse: Another week later

 

Junho was much better and could already walk although he was still limping a bit. He was sitting on the edge of the bed, ready to do some walking on the long hallways of the hospital with Taeyeon's help when the lights suddenly went out and an ominious thunder struck making Taeyeon shocked to the bone and hug Junho tightly in reflex.  Just then, Hyoyeon arrived to take the shift when she saw the scene. In that dim-lit room, all she could make out from where she stood was two people hugging. And although they weren't kissing and just that their faces were inches apart, it looked like they had been kissing. It made Hyoyeon drop the bag of groceries she had been carrying. 

 

The lights went back the moment the bag made contact with the floor. The thud brought Junho and Taeyeon from their shock and turned their attention to were the sound came from. There, by the door, stood Hyoyeon, frozen in her tracks, tears on the brim of her eyes, ready to fall the second she moved. 

 

"Ahaha...haha.. Sorry to have interrupted you two..," she forced a dry laugh and her voice quivered as she spoke. No more than a second, she was already out of the room. Taeyeon might have not seen it but Junho did, a tear finally fell as she turned her back and ran out the room. 

 

All rational thoughts gone, Junho stood on his feet and ran after Hyoyeon as fast as his healing legs would take him. "Hyo, wait!" Hyoyeon heard but she didn't turn. That was it, she couldn't take that anymore and so she ran.

 

She was already a few good meters outside the hospital when the rain finally decided to pour. She stopped and didn't bother to find any shed. She let herself be drenched in the cold rain. She thought Junho finally stopped on chasing her but she was wrong the moment she heard his voice calling her.

 

"Hyo!" She turned and looked towards the hospital. He was there, now drenched in the freezing rain too coming towards her. She didn't mind running anymore and just hang her head low. She was thankful for the rain, it concealed her tears.

 

"Hyo, you're mistaken," explained Junho as he was already just a foot or two from her. "It's not what you think it was." 

 

Hyoyeon forced a laugh. "Yah, Lee Junho! Why did you chase me here? It's raining and you still haven't recovered fully yet! And what you do... is none of my business. You're in a relationship, so why does it matter?... and.. and... it's not like I ran because I was hurt seeing you two kiss, I was just on my way back to the grocery because I forgot to buy something."

 

"We didn't kiss, babo! Taeyeon was just hugging me because she was frightened when the lights went off so suddenly when a loud thunder struck!," explained he desperately.

 

"Why are you explaining yourself? It's not like it matters to me!," countered she.

 

"It matters! It matters because I love you! And that I don't want you to misunderstand!" The words he had concealed for so long, he finally let it out.

 

Hyoyeon couldn't believe her ears, "Mworago??" Did he just say he loves me? 

 

"I love you! I have been loving you ever since! It's you all along, Hyo... " 

 

"But... You and Taeyeon..."

 

"Do you know how much it hurt when you told me to go out with Taeyeon? That feeling when someone you love pushed you to somebody else? I did it for you, to make you happy. And I thought, it would be a great oppotunity to help me forget you. But it didn't work, it never did." Junho lowered his gaze to the ground, his bangs covered his eyes.

 

"Why are you telling me this now? Wae, Junho, wae??" Hyoyeon cried.

 

"Because I was afraid. Afraid that if I confess to you, the bond we have might change if you don't feel the same way I do."

 

"Babo! Junho-yah, babo!" Hyoyeon fisted her hands hit him. "You just don't know how much I've longed for you to say those words to me. I love you too but.. but---" Hyoyeon wasn't able to finish her sentence because Junho secured her hands and  crahsed his lips on hers. The kiss was done on impulse but it was gentle. Hyoyeon refrained hard from kissing back. Her tears ran freely. It only lasted for a few seconds and they broke from it.

 

"Saranghae, Hyo. Saranghanda," said he as he stared at her beautiful chocolate brown orbs, releasing her hands and cupped her face. 

 

"Nado... but.. what about Taeng?" Tears wouldn't stop flowing from her eyes. She didn't want to betray her best friend.

 

He chuckled and knocked her head lightly, "We aren't together anymore. Turns out she also loves someone else.. But what about you and Woo?,"

 

"I see... Woo and me? What the--- Where did that even come from? Wooyoung's just with me because the knows of my feelings for you an---" She was taken by surprise when she felt his hot lips again on hers. It felt so much better and she finally kissed back.

 

And through all the happenings, from how they've met and how they became together, their witness was the rain.

 

 

-------

Sorry if it was lame. I know it is, but really I had a hard time writing this ending. But still I hope you like it. Comments are very much appreciated.