Chapter 1

Witness

A/N: Make sure that when you're reading this, you are listening to the both of this BACKGROUND MUSIC + MOOD. Play both of them at the same time to help you get in the mood.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two lost souls under the heavy rain met and it became the start of their everything. But neither of them thought, not even once it crossed their minds, that one day, the rain would also be the reason the one might be taken away from the other.

 

Flashback

 

They had been friends for a long time now ever since they met during that fateful night five years ago. He was sitting there on the bench under the big oak tree, ignoring the heavy downpour, head hang low. In that stormy night, she found him. She was just coming from cram school since the entrance exam for her chosen college was just around the corner when she noticed a figure on her favorite spot. Squinting her eyes from the lack of light, she made out a silhouette of a young man, just around her age. She dashed to his side upon realizing that the young man was soaking wet with no umbrella. Who in their right minds would be out in that night is what she had thought. 

 

"Yah! What are you doing here in this kind of rain? You wanna get real sick??" The young man didn't even flinch; she recognized the uniform he was wearing, they're from the same school but he did not look familiar to her. Now, she remembered. A family just transferred beside their house just a week ago, she didn't get a chance to speak with them yet, not until that moment. More concerned now that she knew it was her neighbor, she touched his shoulder and shook him a bit to get a response from him. Without any warning, he caught her waist and embraced it tightly, his face resting just above her abdomen. Then he cried. The umbrella she was holding was long forgotten. She didn't know what happened to him but she eventually wrapped her arms around him, comforting him. It was then the start of their so called friendship.

 

End of Flashback

 

It was Thursday night back then when the thing that changed their lives happened. The rain was on its hardest and the lights in the entire neighborhood went out. Lightning struck and thunder ominously roared. She was never afraid of those and yet at that time, it sent chills down her spine. Uneasiness crept up her being.

 

As she waited for the electricity to be back, her anxiousness grew and she did not know why. She tried to tuck the unpleasant feeling away by lying on her bed and catch a light slumber. It was also to calm down her hammering heart. Every now and then, she managed to catch a few but eventually awoke due to the growing queasy feeling tugging her gut.

 

Giving up the idea of sleep, she sat on her bed, back resting on its headboard. She then drifted deep in her thoughts as to what could be the reason of her distress. She really felt different, like something was going to happen, bad. Something was definitely amiss. It was like how she felt three years ago when something had happened to her parents.

 

Her train of thoughts was cut when she heard her phone rang. In the silence of the night, it was heard clearly, echoing throughout the whole of her flat. felt dry. "Yes, Hyo speaking," she casually answered as she swallowed the lump that formed in . And as she took the call, she suddenly felt nauseous; the insides of her stomach churning and doing somersaults.

 

With a trembling female voice, the person on the other line spoke, "J-Jun...he, he was caught in an accident, Hyo...and he might not make it anymore... Hyo...eottokhae...?" Sobs were heard on the other line as the owner of the voice finally broke down upon stating  her last sentence. 

 

Her whole body fell limp; her hand holding the hand phone fell to her side and the phone dropped as her grasp loosened. Tears forthwith formed and fell, one after another. "No...it can't be...Hah-... You've got to be kidding me..! He was in a pretty much good shape when he left my flat half an hour ago! Andwae…! I He can’t…leave like they did…," she said to herself as if it would change anything.

 

Her mind was blank; it refused to believe what she just heard. She took a sharp breath as she tried to prevent herself from letting more drops of her waterworks flow freely. She had always been a strong girl ever since she lost her parents in a car accident during the summer of her second year in college. But all of those strong facades crumble down when it was something concerning about him.

 

Collecting herself back, she rushed to get her car keys on her bedside table and without further ado, ran to her car in the parking lot. In that raging storm, she did not care and still stepped on the gas pedal and sped up the road. In no time at all, she arrived at Samsung Medical Center. She ran to the front desk and hurriedly ask for Junho's room. 

 

Her heart dropped when the nurse gave her the room he was in, all her energy gone. "Lee Junho-ssi's in the ICU, miss." She felt so lost as she made her way to the ICU. She could not feel her feet; she kept swaying and stumbling that she needed the wall to support her. Time seemed to be ticking so slowly and the corridor seemed to be growing longer and longer as seconds passed.

 

The long corridors, the white walls, the distinct piercing clean smell, and most of all, the ICU and the different life-supporting machines, she hated them all. She never wanted to step in a hospital again for it reminded her of the day her parents met their end. It was still vivid in her mind. Doctors and nurses rushed when their vital signs started to drop and then when the line in the ECG went dead straight, they got the defibrillator and used it on them. She could see how their bodies bounced due to the jolt of  electricity.  But now, here she was again, finally in front of the dreaded room. 

 

The tears she successfully prevented from falling now thereupon fell again. It streamed down her pale cheeks endlessly. She stood by the glass window and what she saw broke her heart more. Different machines where everywhere surrounding him, tubes here and there were attached to him. His head was bandaged and visible bruises and small cuts were on his once flawless face. He wasn't moving at all and if she wouldn't look properly, she would not be able to see the only thing that kept her sane at the moment, the slight rise and fall of his chest.

 

What made it more excruciating was, it was not her that was by his side, it was her best friend. More tears fell. She turned her back from the heartwrenching scene; as if seeing him in that state was not yet enough for her to take. She bit her lower lip as she once more tried to stop herself from crying. Her hands clenched her right chest and slid down the wall where she was leaning against to, as if to ease the pain in her heart.

 

TBC...

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[A/N: This will be a twoshot and don't worry, I'm trying my best to write the second and final chapter as a happy ending. :D]