Chapter 5

Back in Time

The CEO of Matsui Corporation was having a usual busy day at work, occupied in analyzing a couple of budget reports. Under normal circumstances, the task wouldn’t have required more than two hours of attention. After being locked up in her office for almost three hours, she hadn’t finished, the unexpected delay accumulating her pile of work. Rena found it hard focusing on the content of her tablet, her mind drifting far too often towards the image of her 24-year-old assistant.

She and Jurina had been on two dates, the latter even confessing her feelings for her last evening. This morning, when they found themselves alone in the elevator leading them towards floor 22, they hadn’t been shy to express their mutual attachment with caring words and affectionate kisses. It had been two hours since their last physical contact, the memory of Jurina’s lips softly pressed against hers still lingering on her lips.

Rena, realizing she was once more getting carried away, decided to make a short pause. Lifting her gaze from the tablet, she swept over the working area where her employees were hard at work, lightening up at the new presence. Jurina was standing behind Akane, both women engrossed in a conversation while they were making modifications to the blueprint displayed on the touchscreen.

Rena took advantage of her assistant’s arrival to observe her carefully, warmth spreading through her chest at the view of the girl who had been way too much in her thoughts all morning.

Given Jurina’s serious expression, Rena guessed they were discussing important issues related to the advancement of the time machine. Much as Jurina was capable of having light and trivial conversations during coffee breaks, she had the faculty to focus back on her work without difficulty as soon as she joined back her desk. After a full month of watching her, Rena was still amazed by Jurina’s ability to change mood with such ease.

Rena lost track of time. Without her noticing, seconds transformed into minutes, and ten minutes had already passed. It wasn’t until Jurina took a step back from Akane’s desk, in the intent of leaving, that she understood that she had been staring at her the whole time. Rena shook her head in disapprobation at her own behavior. She couldn’t afford to get so distracted when she had so much work to do. She was already behind schedule.

Rena took a deep breath, mentally preparing herself to get back to work, when their gazes met across the room. At the visual contact, a warm smile moved to Jurina’s lips, which Rena immediately reciprocated. How much she wished she didn’t have that late business meeting tonight. Jurina had offered her to go to the cinemas and, as tempting as the invitation was, she had been forced to decline.

Rena wasn’t even sure when they would be able to go on a date in the near future. These last few months, Matsui Corporation had won a few major international contracts, resulting in long days of work and little free time. As a business woman, Rena couldn’t complain: her company had never been so healthy and successful. But the success of her company also had direct consequences on her personal life.

Rena never minded how time-consuming her job was. These last few years, the company had been everything to her. The situation had changed when Jurina entered the picture. Rena didn’t regret engaging herself in this new relationship. Jurina had provoked something within her that she refused to ignore. Emotions no one had ever been able to make her feel. Despite her tight and complex schedule, she wanted to find time for Jurina. Because she believed her to be completely worth it.

Eventually, the visual contact was broken when Jurina left the office, not without sending her one last affectionate smile in her direction. It took Rena a few more seconds to brush away Jurina’s image, and refocus on her work. Seizing the tablet, she was well-determined to not get distracted anymore, and to finish the task at hand by midday. Unfortunately, her goodwill was put to the test when her office door slid open, Akane moving inside and appearing in front of her.

Despite the interruption, a sincere smile grazed Rena’s lips at the view of her best friend. These last few days, she had been so busy with work that they hadn’t been able to spend much quality time together, and she valued the slightest moment of interaction. However, she frowned a little when she took in Akane’s odd behavior. Her best friend had stepped closer, looking around her as if to make sure no one would enter the office and overhear their conversation, before quickly taking a seat in front of her desk, a wide grin spread all over her face.

“So… you and Jurina are a couple?”

The question caught her completely off guard, and it took Rena several seconds to recover from her shock. How could Akane be aware of that? Her second date with Jurina had just happened yesterday. She didn’t have time to share with her best friend the positive development in their relationship. Could Jurina have spilled the beans? “H–How… How do you know?”

“I wasn’t sure, but now I am,” Akane smirked, proud of herself for making the CEO fall into her trap and confess the truth so easily. “Jurina has been acting weird all morning, not flirting with me or any other woman. At first, I thought maybe she was sick or something, then I realized there could be another plausible reason for her unusual behavior. I assume your second date went well, then?”

“Yes, it did…” Rena admitted a little shyly. After two successful dates, kisses exchanged and a bold confession, Rena couldn’t deny how she felt about her young assistant. They had romantic feelings for each other.

Akane was moved to see her best friend glowing with such happiness. Without thinking twice, she reached across the table to take her hand. “I’m so happy for you. Jurina is a nice person. I wish you both the very best.”

“Thank you,” Rena smiled, squeezing her fingers in return. “We’ve only been on two dates, but I really, really like her. She’s smart, funny and kind. I want this to work, but I don’t want to overreact. It’s just the beginning of our relationship.”

“It will work. And before you know it, you’ll be blissfully married and have little children running around the house.”

Rena let out a laugh and shook her head in amusement. “I know you and Airi tied the knot very fast, but I want to take my time. Besides, I don’t know if Jurina wishes any of those things. I don’t even know if I want them myself. I never… I never considered any of that before.”

At the CEO’s pensive expression, Akane understood why she was being cautious. After all, it was her first relationship. What she was experimenting with Jurina was new to her, and Akane didn’t need to question her to know that she was feeling a bit overwhelmed. She could almost envision the multitude of thoughts and emotions going through Rena’s head since she had fallen under the charm of her assistant.

“I see the way Jurina has been looking at you for the past month,” Akane spoke up, recalling with amusement the way her co-worker had been acting over the moon all morning. “Her feelings for you are sincere, and I can tell she makes you happy.”

“She does. Trust me, she does.”

They shared a fond smile.

Following that, they engaged in a casual conversation. Time flew by as they used the opportunity to catch up with lost time, sharing a few entertaining anecdotes and taking simple pleasure in enjoying each other’s presence. When the digital clock announced that half an hour had passed, Akane stood up from her chair, not wishing to monopolize the CEO’s precious time anymore than necessary. Rena glanced down to her work, ready to concentrate, before looking up in curiosity when the other girl didn’t leave the office.

“I forgot to tell you,” Akane chuckled. She had been so distracted by her best friend’s fascinating new love life, that she had left out an important piece of information about herself. “I’m going to need a leave of absence.”

“Is everything alright?” Rena asked, concerned. Akane had not mentioned her desire to go on vacations, and she feared the worst. “Are you sick?”

“No, nothing like that. This is good news. Very good news.”

Akane’s enigmatic words provoked her perplexity, until realization hit her when Akane placed her palm over her stomach. “It worked? You are expecting?”

Rena got up on her feet and made her way around the desk, pulling her best friend into a hug. “Congratulations! You and Airi are going to be wonderful parents!”

Akane returned the embrace, laughing at her friend’s overflowing enthusiasm. It wasn’t every day that you could provoke such a spontaneous reaction from the so calm and collected CEO of Matsui Corporation. “Thank you. It means a lot coming from you. We received the confirmation this morning.”

“Have you picked up a name, yet?” Rena’s eyes flickered between her and the still very flat stomach of her best friend.

“We are thinking of calling her Shizuru,” Akane replied, entertained by the amusing sight offered to her. Rena was obsessed by her stomach, even though it was not showing in the slightest. “And I’m sure our child will soon want a nice friend to play with...”

“I’ll pretend I didn’t hear anything.” A smile moved to Rena’s lips at her friend’s small teasing tone.

Rena shook her head lightly and let out a small sigh of content, staring back at Akane’s flat stomach. For months, her best friend had mentioned her strong desire to have a child with Airi. That day had finally happened. Rena found herself a bit emotional as she reflected upon her long-lasting friendship with Akane and everything they had been through. From friends in college, Akane had not hesitated to follow her when Rena had taken the reins of the company. And now here they were, working together, her best friend married with the woman she loved and about to have a family.


Version revised on August 17, 2019.