Chapter 4

Back in Time

Rena brought them to an Italian restaurant. From the outside, it wasn’t extravagant and didn’t attract attention. The black wooden façade was simple, growing ivy plants falling from each side of the door. The name, Il Giramondo, was carved in white letters, with underneath an inscription in Latin: Tempore superiore reversus. Why did Rena decide to bring them here? Was it because the restaurant was located in the old, preserved district of the city, a small oasis of nostalgia in the futuristic Tokyo?

Jurina was not prepared for what she was about to discover. Jurina followed the other girl inside, her eyes widening in surprise when she took in the rich interior decoration. In an instant, she had been transported back in time to Ancient Rome. She had to blink to make sure her sight was not deceiving her.

The first thing that caught her attention were the colored, detailed frescos decorating the large walls of the restaurant. On one of them, Jurina recognized Diana, goddess of the hunt, with her familiar bow and quiver. Represented in the middle of a forest, a deer was holding his head high, and standing proudly beside her.

On the following fresco, was depicted her ephebe twin brother and the god of music, truth and prophecy; Phoebus. Sun shining brightly behind his head, he was wearing a long blue cape on his shoulders, his blond, curly hair floating in the air as he was riding a golden chariot pulled by four majestic white horses.

The Roman frescos were not the only thing that provoked Jurina’s awe. Perfectly sculpted marble statues of Roman gods also ornamented alcoves in the decorated walls. And what about the impressive Roman pillars raising in the air, up to the ceiling representing the all mighty Jupiter laying in a bed of clouds?

The decoration was so magnificent, that Jurina was at a loss for words. How come had she never heard of such an extraordinary place? She felt privileged standing in such a majestic place. The change of scenery was complete, and the contrast sharp with the modernity of Japan’s capital.

“Welcome Matsui-san. It’s always a pleasure.” A man, elegantly dressed in a black tuxedo, addressed the head of Matsui Corporation. “The usual table?”

“Good evening, Enrico. Please.” Rena nodded, diverting her attention to the girl by her side who had stayed quiet since they entered the restaurant. Rena smiled knowingly when Jurina gazed around in admiration. That was a look she was familiar with. The first time she had entered Il Giramondo, she had also instantly fallen in love with it. 

“Let me check if it’s available.” The Italian receptionist looked down to his screen, then glanced back at her with a smile. “It is. Please follow me.”

 


 

“You should have warned me it was a fancy restaurant,” Jurina said, after they took a seat at a table located in a quiet area of the restaurant. “I feel a bit… undressed.”

Rena laughed softly at her embarrassment. “Don’t worry about it. You’re perfect just as you are. I’m not dressed up for the occasion either.”

A waiter was waiting a little further away, and Jurina recalled the older girl had also called him by his name upon her arrival. It was now obvious to her that she was familiar with this place. “You come here often.”  

“I’ve eaten here more than a few times over the years. The food is excellent, and I find the atmosphere enchanting.”

“I can understand that.” Jurina let her eyes travel around the place. She was having a hard time tearing her eyes away from the sight offered to her. Even after taking a good look at her arrival, she still managed to notice some new details. The reconstitution work of the Roman period was impressive. “This is…”

“Fascinating? I understand how you feel. Nevermind how many times I’ve been here, this place still has a profound, emotional impact on me. You see, my great-grandfather was an archeologist.” Rena swept around the main room, her voice softening as fond memories invaded her mind. “When I was a child, he would bring me with him on excavation sites. I admired his patience and devotion to his work. He was a shy, introvert man, but I would never forget the glint in his eyes each time he made a new discovery. His silent happiness spoke louder than a thousand words.”

“He passed on to you his passion for History,” Jurina said, as realization dawned on her. “He’s the reason why this time machine project is so important.”

“Spending so many hours between those ancient stones had provoked my curiosity and triggered my imagination. A few times, I would mention to him my dream to go back in time. Marvel at Ancient Roman and Greek temples, wander in the cobblestone streets of a 19th century Paris, or live amongst the most famous Sengoku period’s warlords and samurais. There was no limit to my imagination. Each time, he would just smile and look at me tenderly. My great-grandfather was a kind and gentle man. He didn’t have the heart to hurt the innocent child that I was, by telling me it was a foolish, impossible dream.”

“It may have been back then,” Jurina conceded. Twenty years ago, technology was not as advanced as it currently was in 2050. Her great-grandfather’s reserve was understandable. “But not anymore. Your dream is anything but foolish and impossible, and I’m planning on fulfilling it.”

Rena’s eyes fell back on her, detecting the determination in her voice. Jurina’s unfailing motivation never ceased to amaze her. Rena had a wonderful team composed of skilled scientists and experts, but nothing compared with Jurina’s dedication to this project. “I know you are doing everything in your capacity to build the time machine,” Rena murmured, reaching across the table to take her hand. 

Her assistant’s good intentions were acknowledged from the very first day they met. However, Rena couldn’t ignore a little voice at the back of her head. A voice that was constantly reminding her not to get her hopes up. More than anyone else, she wanted to believe in the success of this ambitious project, but she had to be realistic. There was a strong possibility that, despite her team and Jurina’s best efforts, it might not work out.

“Jurina…” Rena spoke hesitantly, gently squeezing her fingers. “No one believes in this project more than I do. But if it doesn’t work, I will accept it and won’t hold it against anyone. Especially not you.”

“Listen to me. Failure is not an option for me. Nevermind how long it takes, months, years, I will finish the plans of the time machine. You will go back in time. I promise. Do you trust me?”

By her decided look, Rena understood nothing she would add would ever be enough to convince her of otherwise. “Of course, I do.”

A satisfied expression plastered Jurina’s features.

The male waiter approached their table. “May I take your order?”

Jurina buried her nose in the menu. By her lasting silence, it wasn’t hard for Rena to figure out that her assistant had absolutely no idea what to eat. They had been too engrossed in their conversation, marveling at the restaurant decoration surrounding them, to pay attention to the menu in front of them.

“We need a little more time,” Rena said, when Jurina didn’t reply. “Can you please come back in a few minutes, Angelo?”

The waiter nodded and his heels. “That’s fine, I’ll choose.” Jurina lowered the menu, and gazed back at her. “What do you recommend?”

“The Jumbo shrimp and zucchini risotto is delicious,” Rena replied, without an ounce of hesitation. She could have suggested the whole menu, but she had a soft spot for the restaurant’s specialty. “That’s what I’m going to take tonight.”

“Then I’ll follow your lead. Two risotto, please.”

The waiter left with their order, and they both engaged in a casual conversation, soon distracted when a glass vase of red roses was placed in the middle of the table. Slightly puzzled, Rena shot the waiter a questioning look, only to receive a warm smile in return.  “Compliments of the house. Please enjoy your dinner.”

“I understand why you like this restaurant,” Jurina said once he left, admiring the beautiful, fresh red roses between them. “They know how to treat their loyal customers.”

Rena didn’t reply, but couldn’t ignore the nagging feeling that this gift hadn’t been placed for the sole purpose of thanking her. In fact, the more she thought about it, the more she wondered if the attentive staff hadn’t read the atmosphere between she and Jurina, and guessed this was a romantic dinner. It would explain why they choose this kind of flowers, as well as its meaningful color.

 


 

It was almost midnight when they left Il Giramondo. Small droplets of water hit Rena’s shoulders, and she looked up to the dark sky. It didn’t look like it was going to rain heavily tonight. Nevertheless, Rena retrieved her umbrella from her handbag and placed it above their heads as they began walking away.

“Thank you for inviting me. I really enjoyed it.”

“I’m glad.” Rena’s mouth tugged into a smile of pleasure when she distinguished the enthusiasm in her assistant’s voice. “This place never leaves anyone indifferent. I had a good feeling you would like it.”

“Well, of course, it’s a beautiful restaurant and the food is delicious. But I was mostly talking about the company.”

Rena stopped when fingers gently encircled hers around the handle of the umbrella. The following moment, Jurina was leaning forward, and Rena’s eyes closed on their own volition when soft lips kissed her. The kiss was gentle and chaste, similar to the one they had exchanged at the office. However, Rena was glad there was not an ounce of hesitation between them.

Jurina broke the kiss but didn’t leave her personal space, staring deeply into her eyes. “I like you Rena. I really like you.”

Rena’s heart pounded, and she trembled when fingertips her cheek. No, it was not the first time someone confessed their feelings for her. She had had more than a few suitors in the past. Never such words managed to put her in a flutter before. Since their first encounter, Rena could feel herself changing day by day. Her new assistant had provoked unexpected strong emotions within her.

Could she go back now that she had caught a glimpse of what Akane had described? Did she even want to?

Rena pressed her lips against Jurina’s, the kiss deepening when Jurina s an arm around her waist. Yes, those new feelings were sometimes overwhelming, but she couldn’t ignore how she felt. Rena Matsui was never one to hesitate once she knew what she wanted. And, right now, she had one absolute certainty: even if she tried, she wouldn’t be able to separate herself from the girl who shared the same surname.

Because Jurina had already found a place in her heart. 

 


Version edited on August 14, 2019.