Chapter 1

Just for you

It wasn’t love at first sight, Hanbin didn’t believe in those things. He knew that he enjoyed her company and that he felt something different the first moment they saw each other, it was like that moment when you’re walking around the shopping center not planning to buy anything and then you walk by a window and see something that completely draws you in or the moment when you wear a pair of shoes for the very first time and it just fits so perfectly, you just know that you’ll have it for a long time because it feels so comfortable, it feels right. That is exactly how he felt the moment he spent time with Byeol when they coincidently met for the time at Namsan tower. 

 

It was late that night and Hanbin wanted to get some fresh air as he normally did when he spends too long practicing, he was at Myeongdong grabbing some quick snacks when he had a sudden thought of going to Namsan tower. He initially questioned himself since it was not normally a place he’d choose but in the end still went with it. 

 

He got there and was in awe with how beautiful the scenery was, how the city lights looked like stars against the dark night in the horizon. 

 

“Wahhh Byeol-ida, nomu yeppeu” (wahhhh it’s a star, so pretty)

 

“Thanks” 

 

Hanbin looks to his right and was surprised to hear the girl reply to him, he must’ve misheard her since there was nothing he would’ve said that would merit for a thanks. 

 

“Excuse me?” He replied softly 

 

“Byeol, right? You said Byeol is pretty.”

 

“Yes Miss, I did. Coz it is.”

 

“Well technically those aren’t really stars, so that technically means you’re referring to only one star that is pretty.”

 

“I don’t think I’m following exactly what you’re meaning Miss, I think you’ve mistaken what I said.” 

 

“Byeol, my name is Byeol. Which…kinda makes me a star.” She said nonchalantly 

 

“Byeol? As in you’re literal name is Byeol? As in the star, Byeol? Korean word for Byeol…Byeol?” Hanbin asked quite intrigued.

 

“I mean you can even check my ID if you want. But yeah it’s really Byeol.” 

 

The way she talks. Wow. He thought to himself

 

“Wow, what a coincidence. Your parents picked out a great name. Well Miss Byeol, my name isn’t as cool as yours but Hanbin, my name is Hanbin.” 

 

He looks at her with a smile on his face and with the little illumination from the city lights he could just see the glistening of her face as she smiles to herself. It’s true, she does shine brighter than those lights, perfectly fitting for her name. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

“Yah Hanbin-ah. I know you’re busy being a leader and all, but why are you always making me wait for you, can’t you ever be on time.” Byeol says in an annoyed voice.

 

“Sorry Byeol-ah I know I know, but I stayed up all last night writing and completely fell asleep, I’m on my way now.” Hanbin apologetically says over the phone. 

 

“Ugh, you’re lucky I’m a good person and I actually like hanging out with you. Coz otherwise I wouldn’t be waiting for you for an hour dude. What are you gonna do if one day I just stop waiting for you huh? You’re so gonna miss me.” She said sarcastically, teasing Hanbin. 

 

“Sure sure Byeol-ah. What are you saying so early in the afternoon. You have no choice you’re stuck with me. Anyways, I’ll be there soon. Just wait a bit.” And he hang up. 

 

Byeol smiles at her phone as she pulls it down from her face, all the worry of waiting for that long seems to just dissipate away after talking with him for a mere minute. She forgot that she was even annoyed. 

 

It’s been 3 years since they first met at the tower that night and the two almost became inseparable, well; their version of inseparable, in the most unconventional way, they made their friendship work; because of the life that Hanbin choose before they met they were the least normal duo out there. Hanbin had such pressures in what should’ve been his most innocent years of life being deemed a leader of a group whom has an unknown future, at a young age he had to give up his youth in order to find a place where his dreams lied.

 

They were each others pillars, when life got in the way of their emotions they often just had to look at each other and it was as if nothing in the world can bring their mood down. Byeol was more of the pillar between the two of them though, if it wasn’t for her constant reminders of how great he was and how he needed to believe his skills Hanbin probably would have given up all together. The constant reminders that he doesn’t just have his dreams at stake but also the brothers that he treated like they were his own as well.

 

Everyday since that first meeting at Namsan Tower consisted of constant bickering and teasing, but it was all just how they were. It was almost a silent rule that they say the nastiest things to each other but when the backs are turned and someone dared to say even the slightest insult to the latter they’d be first to protect one another. They knew they cared for each other beyond what they show or say to one another. They enjoyed each other’s company of not having to worry about anything when they are together, people’s expectations and judgement were never an issue because between the two of them there was none of those. They never really put much thought on anything, some say this was their strength, the core foundation of why they managed to become so close against all odds, but one is to question was it really their strength or their weakness as a tandem?

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Byeol was sitting at a park bench listening to music with her earphones in enjoying the sun and the beat of the music when a black plastic bag ends up right in front of her causing her to flinched slightly. 

 

“I took too long coz I picked these up.” She looks up to see Hanbin smiling sheepishly in front of her. She pretends to glare at him but smiles as she grabbed the bag, she knew exactly what was in it. 

 

“Just because you get me coned ice cream every time doesn’t mean I’m gonna be accepting of you every time. I’m really mad at you this time.” She tried to that she was still annoyed but she knew it was all in vain, she can never get too annoyed at him for long. Plus you can never go wrong with chocolate coned ice cream. And he knew that. 

 

Hanbin laughed and took the seat next to her lazily, grabs hold of one of her earphones and places it in his other ear. “But they’re chocolate cones, you can never resist the chocolate cones.” He’s right. 

 

“Well how’d your song writing go anyways? It better be good for you too be making me wait for you.” She asks as she ruffles through the bag, grabbing hold of the ice cream, she opens it and passes it to him to eat. 

 

“It’s okay, not sure how it is. I’m not happy with it at all. It just didn’t feel or sound right and I don’t know why, I can’t figure out if it’s the melody or the lyrics.” He grabs the ice cream and starts eating as he watches Byeol open her ice cream. He can’t help but notice these little gestures she does for him, always putting him first. *why do you care so much for me, idiot* 

 

“It’s probably coz you write about the most random things, like the other day you told me you wrote about a can of soda, or the last song you wrote was about that annoying fly that wouldn’t leave you alone. Maybe you need an actual inspiration.” She pauses as she on the ice cream. 

 

“Plus you’re probably just being too hard on yourself again. Mr. Perfectionist, not everything is gonna be perfect you know but I’m sure you’ll get there, you’re always great at anything you do.” She continues fixated at the ice cream that was in her hands. 

 

“Mhmmm” He hums and he gazes from her and the rings on his fingers as he fidgets with it. 

 

There was a comfortable silence between them as they watched the kids play and just enjoyed the serenity. 

 

“Hey, I’ve got an idea. Why don’t we write a song now? Maybe we can pull our ideas together and help you make a great one? Or you could write one about me” Byeol suggests excitingly as if she just discovered the best remedy for all sickness. 

 

Hanbin laughed at the scene and looks at her fondly for a short second as she waits expectantly for his response. 

 

“You? Write a song? Byeol-ah you know I support you in everything but maybe leave the song writing to the expert.” He says jokingly shrugging to himself coolly. She elbows him and gives him a glare but laughs at him. He’s right. 

 

“Okay okay, well since it’s a nice day I think we should really use this as inspiration. You can write your songs and I’ll write my stories?” 

 

“That’s true, we can do that. Miss future book writer.” He teases. 

 

“Book writing isn’t my calling you know that, I’m yet to find mine, it’s more of a hobby you know.” She retorts. 

 

“Okay okay whatever you say.” 

 

Byeol grabs a notebook from her bag and rips a couple of empty pages from it and grabs two pens and passes one to Hanbin. She smiles before turning to her book and putting her earphones in and started writing. 

 

“Look at her, suggests to collaborate, waits for me for an hour just to prefer to spend time by herself.” He whispers to himself when he knew she couldn’t hear him and smiles. 

 

He stares at her from her head to her feet, the way her eyes glistens, the look of her face when she spaces out as she crinkles her eyebrows between gazes from her book to the park, he looks at the way her long straight hair falls perfectly down, and how she dresses so casually with her jeans and sneakers not trying to show off just how beautiful she actually is. 

 

“My type....” he whispers as he started smiling to himself. He started writing

 

“You’re my type,

you’re my type

Even if you don’t say anything, I have a feeling

From your head to your toes, everything

You’re my type

When I look at you,

I want you so bad I go crazy

I think about you even right before I go to sleep pow

Your sneakers under your thin ankles

A perfect harmony with your denim skinny jeans

Under your slightly big cardigan

Your falling, long, straight hair is so pretty

Your shy eye smile, the look on your face

when you space out

It all looks so pretty to me, it makes my hearit tremble

Why did you come now? You’re my type

your delicate smile

your eyes when you look at me

There is no flaw anywhere

There’s no time to be bored, you’re perfect

your cute voice

we’re getting closer

Why did you come now?

Love has finally come to me

your cute voice

we’re getting closer

Why did you come now?

Love has finally come to me

I really like you

Even when you yawn sometimes

It’s my style

We have a good connection

My heart is overwhelmed

Every time you call my name

I can’t stop smiling.”