EPILOGUE

unexpected

Miyeon rolled her eyes at her friend Jennie. “How many times do I have to tell you no?”

“Until you say yes!”

Miyeon scoffed lightly as she chucked a pillow across the room. She kept quiet as Jennie took a seat on her bed. 

“It’s time you get back in the game.”

It had been three years since Miyeon left the school for troubled girls. It seemed like it was just yesterday that she was dumped on the front steps by her parents.

She found her own place, wanting to be far from her parents, a dingy room above a family owned restaurant. Jennie was the daughter who worked part time, immediately befriending Miyeon since they were around the same age.

They had been friends for nearly three years now and Jennie has not once heard Miyeon talk about being interested in someone. So she set her up.


Miyeon walked into the dimly lit restaurant. She looked around, trying to find her blind date. She was beyond nervous, having never actually been on a date or much less a blind one at that.

Jennie had mentioned that her friend would be wearing a white casual dress. She spotted a girl with her back to her. 

She had long, black hair and was wearing a white dress. She was seated near the back of the restaurant.

Miyeon started to walk towards the table when someone approached the girl she assumed was her date. The girl in the white dress turned to the side, exposing part of her face.

Miyeon froze.

“Hey, are you Miyeon?” A voice from behind her asked. Miyeon flipped around, confused and flustered all at once.

The girl in front of her had long, black hair and wore a white dress. 

“Y-Yeah.”

She smiled widely and stuck her hand out to Miyeon. “Hi, I’m Jisoo.”


They took a seat at a table near the windows. It was night time and the view outside was magical. But Miyeon couldn’t help but feel unsettled, and not because of her first date nerves.

Miyeon cracked a small, shy smile.

“Jennie speaks highly of you.” 

Jisoo waved her hands dismissively. 

Miyeon continued speaking, trying to distract herself from the person she saw earlier. “How did you and Jennie become friends?”


After their dinner, Jisoo ordered them glasses of wine. Their date was pleasant; she really liked Jisoo. Maybe in another life they’d be together.

Miyeon excused herself, letting Jisoo know that she’d be going to the bathroom. She discreetly looked back at the corner table, noticing that no one was seated there anymore. 

She internally sighed, although an unsettling feeling still bubbled in the pit of her stomach. 


It’s almost cruel how many times Miyeon has found herself in this same exact moment. 

She flung open the stall door, coming face to face with someone she thought she’d never see again. 

It was like everything froze, but this time, it didn’t feel peaceful to Miyeon.

The other girl just stood there, looking like she wanted to say something, but not being able to. She looked just liked she did the first time they ran into each other in a bathroom. 

Except this time, Miyeon didn’t feel like throwing around silly remarks or teases.

It had been three years, but Shuhua looked the same. 

Miyeon broke the eye contact first, skipping straight towards the door, not bothering to spend more time there to wash her hands.

She just had to get out. 

A soft hand wrapped around her wrist and she stilled. She felt sparks shoot up her arm and she hated it.

“Who is she?” 

Miyeon thought of lying. “My date.” The grip on her wrist tightened, causing the older girl to turn around.

“I could ask you the same thing.” Miyeon whispered as she locked her eyes back onto Shuhua’s unreadable ones. 

There was a long pause.

“She’s no one.”

Another long pause. Miyeon turned to leave again, not without a tug on her wrist to pull her back. 

“I’ve been looking for you all this time.”

“Doesn’t seem like it.”

Shuhua frowned. Miyeon had no idea what the past three years were like for Shuhua, nor did she know what the past three years were like for Miyeon.

But she knew she messed up the moment she stepped out of her dorm room the day she had to run again. 

“Just give me another chance.” 

A chance. Another chance. Those words rung in Miyeon’s ears. All those years ago, she asked Shuhua for the same thing.

Was this moment any different? Was what Shuhua done comparable to what Miyeon had done then? 

Miyeon faltered, but she stood her ground.

“I don’t even know who you are.” 

Shuhua flinched at the tinge of venom in the older girl’s tone. She was right.

They barely knew each other then, they barely know each other now. Especially after these years have passed.

“Then let’s start over.”


Soft lips were moving against hers slowly. 

This is what she wanted. 

She tuned out the old movie playing on her television, shifting around on the couch as she got comfortable. Her arms were loosely wrapped around Shuhua’s neck.

Miyeon was a er. She was weak for Shuhua. Weak for the younger girl’s smile and weak for her eyes. 

As much as Miyeon tried to shove away her feelings for Shuhua, she never went a day without wondering where the Taiwanese girl could be. 

She wished she could hate Shuhua and leave it at that, but she imagined the younger girl happy.

As happy as someone could be, being on the run and all.

Their moment was interrupted by Shuhua’s phone beeping. She ignored it, deepening their kiss as Miyeon tried to move back. 

She caught the name on the screen before it went black. Miyeon lightly pushed Shuhua off. 

“How’s Soojin doing these days?”

Shuhua rolled her eyes at Miyeon’s slight smirk. 

“We’re all doing okay.” 

Miyeon thought back to her former roommate. “Yuqi, too?” 

Shuhua nodded with a small smile. 

Miyeon looked at Shuhua as she tapped away on her phone, watching her send out a heated message at Soojin.

She never thought she would actually see the Taiwanese girl again, but she was happy she did. From the moment Miyeon saw her for the first time, in the hallway at the school she was not meant to be in, she just knew they were meant to be something. 

Shuhua tossed her phone off the couch, immediately wrapping her arms around Miyeon’s neck, leaning in quickly. 

“Now, where were we?”