Distance

Cherry Lips
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In her subconscious, she could hear the sound of running water and quiet footsteps around the space. Yet her body felt tired to even flinch a muscle— eyelids too heavy to open. And so she remained snuggled on the soft pillow, a nice cotton scent engulfing her nostrils and she succumbed back to sleep. She didn’t know how much time had passed when she finally had the energy to fully wake up.

The first thing she noticed was the empty bed next to hers. Director Choi had gone somewhere alone last night and Lisa’s jetlag quickly kicked in as soon as she plopped down on her bed. She couldn’t remember him coming back but she did know he was the one showering earlier. 

Looking at the clock on the end table in between their beds, she lazily stood up and stretched her stiff limbs. It was only past 7 in the morning. Director Choi had told her during the awkward dinner that they would leave to go to the artist’s place at 9AM. Not rushing, Lisa took a shower and donned a smart casual attire— plain white shirt, black blazer, dark skinny jeans and the sneakers she brought. Knowing she needed to look presentable, she applied her trusty moisturizing tint, lined her eyes, and swiped a pink lip gloss.

Director Choi wasn’t in the buffet area for breakfast. It seemed like he preferred doing his own thing rather than spend time with an intern. Lisa didn’t even know if he actually slept in the room or he just took a shower there. Seated alone at a table, she started feeling quite dejected at the fact that he seemed to be purposely avoiding her. She didn’t object to it... but to be quite honest... she felt rather unwanted.

That feeling again...

Her phone buzzed once and she saw a notification from him.

Done with breakfast?

It was the first message she had gotten from him. And Lisa couldn’t hide the small smile that appeared on her lips.

Yes, Director. Where are you?

It didn’t even take five seconds before he replied.

At the entrance.

She drank the remaining of her orange juice quickly and hurried to the lobby. Her eyes searched for him and it was only when she stepped outside did she finally see his familiar figure.

There stood Director Choi in a black riding jacket... a sleek black and red motorcycle behind him. He looked like he came straight out of a movie with the way he turned his head when he saw her. And it was the contrast of the sunlight against the dark palette of his clothes and the motorcycle that made him stand out so much.

"I’ve already rented this the other day for myself." He spoke as soon as she stood a few feet away from him. "I looked up the location and it’ll be better to use a motorcycle going there. I hope you don’t mind."

He took out a grey riding jacket from the backpack on his shoulder.

"Jacket. The shop rents it." 

Lisa gingerly removed her blazer and put it in the bag. Director Choi just watched her wear the jacket which was lightweight and had mesh in the inner lining. But wearing something like that in Thailand’s climate was stifling. 

"Have you ridden a motorcycle before?" He stepped closer and put the helmet on her head— clipping the straps under her chin. The sudden proximity made her stiffen. He grabbed the backpack from his shoulder and made her wear it.

"I'm Thai... I've ridden a Vespa before."

A smile formed on his lips when he briefly glanced at the intimidating Ducati beside them. "But this isn't a scooter."

Director Choi moved lithely as he got on the bike— supporting it while Lisa hesitated to get on for a moment. He had noticed her reluctance and he softly patted the pillion behind him.

"I'm a responsible driver." He simply said and that was enough for her to awkwardly step on the footpeg and swing her right leg over the bike— too cautious not to touch him in the slightest. Her seat was slightly higher than his.

The engine revved which sounded like an elegant purr and Lisa could feel goosebumps rise on her skin. 

"You need to hold me, Lalisa-ssi." 

Her face instantly warmed as she quickly placed her hands on his shoulders and he turned his head to the side as if trying to look at her. 

"You said you've ridden a bike before."

"I did. My cousin was driving." 

She suddenly felt his hands on her forearms— wrapping her left arm around his torso and then her right hand on the gas tank.

"Don't move your hand." 

Confused, she flexed her fingers and felt him press her hand down with his gloved one firmly. "Why do I need to have a hand on the tank? To feel it?"

His body tensed for one brief second against hers.

"When you suddenly slide forward, you might..." He paused and Lisa was all ears to hear his explanation. There was a moment of awkward silence as if he was trying so hard to think of how to phrase his words.  "It's dangerous for me so you need to support yourself."

She leaned sideways to try and see his face.

"Why is it dangerous for you?"

He looked back at her and their helmets hit each other with a comical thud. Lisa pulled back a little and stifled the laughter bubbling in her chest.

"You might crush me." 

She almost didn't hear him say that and it took her five whole seconds before she finally realized what he meant. His seat was shallow against the tank and his... bal— scrotum would definitely get crushed if she were to slide towards him. The laughter instantly disappeared as she cautiously scooted back a little to give him a safe space.

"Just look over my shoulder all the time. Whenever I lean, you lean as well." He instructed and she gave a quiet affirmation. "If something's wrong, tap my torso twice."

"Yes, Director." 

And with that, the bike moved so smoothly against the pavement— passing through the city proper until the buildings thinned and gave way to a long stretch of green fields. Director Choi drove faster when the road cleared and small villages came into sight. It must've been over half an hour when he took a left turn and then they were at a forest— the sky was almost covered by tall trees overhead. The winding road made her feel a little dizzy and she didn't even realize she was holding onto him tightly the times the bike leaned further sidewards whenever there was a turn. Yet she didn't dare loosen her hold— fearing for her life even if he was indeed a capable driver.

The bike slowed down when they were still in the forest and he stopped at the side. He quickly checked his phone and then looked around— noticing a small trail on the other side of the road.

"How do you know where to go without looking at the map earlier?" She asked as he started moving the bike again.

"I'm good at directions." 

That was all he said and Lisa didn't press any further as the bike went to the trail and the winding road uphill made her even more nervous. The trail became narrower and it was around 10 minutes before they saw a house from a distance.

 

The house w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter