Chapter One

Pick Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The company doesn't really send them with a plan. Taehyung doubts they even expect something from this. They're here because the company has no other place to send them to. 

Their only artist, the rookie group Cee-K debut two months ago. The response was mediocre but no one expected more to begin with. BH Ent was a small company with very little influence in the cut throat world of South Korea's idol industry. Groups from small companies rarely does well. 

Yet… Taehyung would give anything… everything to be in that group instead of here, looking at 101 seats placed together like a pyramid.

"The 1st place seat is empty." Seokjin notes, "Do you want to sit there?" 

"Are you crazy?" Taehyung scoffs, scanning for empty seats in the middle. There is no way he is going up to the top of the pyramid. Not just because of all the looks and attention he would get but because for the last three seasons the person who sat in the 1st place seat didn't exactly have a happy ending.

It's not that he is superstitious but better safe than sorry right?

Seokjin finds them two empty seats, number 52 and 53. The older boy drags him toward it. When they are seated, Taehyung tries to keep his face blank and not fidget. They are getting a lot of looks. He knew they would. They get looked at even when they are walking down a street. So obviously they would here as well. But the looks are not just of appreciating visuals. They are being sized up and categorised as a threat or a non threat. The thought makes Taehyung feel nauseous.

Seokjin seems to notice and gives his hand a squeeze. He doesn't let go and Taehyung is so grateful. 

He's both sad and happy because Seokjin is here with him. Happy because Taehyung can't imagine being in this place alone. Sad because Seokjin doesn't deserve it. Seokjin deserves to be on stage already, in a group of his own, surrounded by fans of his own. 

Seokjin deserves the most.

But idol industry isn't exactly about fairness. The number Seokjin writes beside 'Age' is a little too high for the agency. So he is shunted once again, after eight years of dedicating his life to it. He, along with Taehyung are the leftover. The abandoned. Sent here to fend for themselves. It's the last chance for both of them.

Taehyung, because he doubts he can call himself a BH trainee after this ends. But he could maybe get into another. But for Seokjin, this was it. This is the end. He had said so last night. Whispered it in the dark when he thought Taehyung was sleeping. 

As the pyramid fills up, Taehyung prays for a miracle. 

Not for him.

But for the person holding his hand, giving him strength.

-

Jungkook thought he prepared himself for the gawking and the whisperings. But he still feels uncomfortable when he walks into the stage, the word JYP written in big bold letters on the screen. 

The only seats remaining are on the bottom. Jungkook and Jimin rushes to it, not wanting to be under scrutinized under 99 pairs of eyes any longer. 99 pairs thinking how unfair it is that they are here, why they are here, how they are better than themselves. 

"Oh man..." Jimin whispers low enough that only Jungkook can here it. 

It feels like eternity before the judges comes and starts introducing themselves, taking the attention away from the big company trainees. And soon the evaluations begin. 

Trainees from various companies performs, some wows the audience with their talent others because… the lack thereof. But Jungkook feels his stomach in a knot after every performance. The weight of all the expectation feels crushing. 

Currently it's the turn of three rappers from a company Jungkook doesn't know. They look awkward as they introduce themselves and it gets noticed by all. Most immediately puts them away as not being competition. That's why the shock is greater when they begin.

It's a short rap song accompanied with traditional Korean instruments, written by the three of them. The previous discomfort and awkwardness is gone. Instead it is three rappers who demands you to pay attention and who makes every other contestant in here more nervous.

They end with big applause from all. The rap mentor praises them all greatly, saying they are the best rapper yet. Jungkook doubts the title will be taken away by anyone else. Everything is well and good, everyone thinks three more

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter