Do you know who you look like?

Seulgi's Choice
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: Hi, thanks everyone who left a comment on my teaser to this fic. I wanted to start a first chapter before it ends up where I can’t start at all because too much time has passed. Okay, so basically Irene and Joohyun are two seperate ppl who are not related to one another in anyway but look uncanny in appearance. Joohyun is a regular citizen running a bookstore, Irene is Red Velvet’s leader, and Seulgi is a well known businesswoman. Don’t know how long it’ll be as of yet, but enjoy plz.


 

Bookstore owner Bae Joohyun drives up to her shop and parks her car across the street much as she does every single day. She arrives early around 6 am to prepare for the day. Her bookstore is also half cafe where people can read while they buy refreshments. The brown-haired woman enters her bookstore and starts her usual setup. Joohyun has always wanted to own a bookstore from the time she was a small girl growing up in Daegu. She’s loved books and it’s also the perfect job for someone who is quiet and mild-mannered such as herself. It’s the sort of place where she feels most in her element surrounded by books, tea, and quiet. Joohyun enjoys seeing her regular customers on a daily basis. She likes seeing people sitting in the comfortable armchairs as they read. She even has grown used to the sounds of the coffee machines and pastries being placed into bags.


 

The morning is one of the busier times because her bookstore does serve as a cafe too. Moments later her assistant/friend who runs the cafe portion Park Rose runs in looking exhausted but offers her a warm smile.

 

“Hi, Hyun.” The auburn-haired woman smiles. Rose is a nice woman who is a few years younger than she and originally from Australia, but moved her to be with her longtime girlfriend Kim Jennie, who is a fashion designer.

 

“Hey, Rose. Did you have an exciting night?” The bespectacled woman smiles some knowingly. The younger woman nearly choked on her spit.

 

“What! I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

 

“Ah, sure.”

 

“I’m going to go set up.” Rose gestures to the cafe area of the bookstore.

 

“Take your time. The usual rush doesn’t come in here until 8 or so.”

 

Joohyun goes to the back to her office for a bit. There’s still time before the morning rush and she does things like check inventory, sees what she needs to order more or less of, and sometimes makes a phone call to her parents back home in Daegu. She tries to at least call them weekly because she knows they worry about her, even though it’s been more than 6 years since she’s moved to Seoul and started her business. Her parents helped in large part with that and sent her whatever money they could. Now, that Joohyun is more financially stable she does send money back to them in turn. Joohyun finishes her tasks soon and heads back out. Some people have come into order drinks at the cafe. There is nothing that Joohyun doesn’t like about her job. Well, there is one thing that can be annoying.

 

“Oh my god.” One of the customers turns to look at her. The woman nearly drops her coffee she is so stunned. Joohyun knows why she’s looking at her in shock. It’s nothing new.

 

“Oh boy.” Rose sighs from behind the counter. She knows what’s about to happen. As it usually happens at least a few times out of the day, and especially with non-regular customers.

 

“You look like Irene!” The customer says excitedly.

 

“Yeah, I’ve heard that a few times.” Joohyun nods politely and turns to go toward the cashier at the bookstore section.

 

“No, really. You look just like Irene, are you a relative?”

 

Irene is the leader of one of the most popular and famous girl groups around right now named Red Velvet. When Joohyun first arrived in Seoul she never heard of them and certainly didn’t get any comparisons to the leader of the group. But when Red Velvet became more popular, so did she in a way. People from random strangers, customers, and everyone would tell her that she looked much like the singer. Joohyun was fed up with hearing how much she looked like Red Velvet’s leader that she simply had to know for herself. Joohyun is very much a homebody, quiet, and keeps her nose buried in a book for the most part, so she really doesn’t keep up with new and current music at all. She truly never heard of Red Velvet, but one day she decided to look up this Irene woman. What she saw shook her to her very core. The resemblance was truly uncanny. It was like looking in a mirror almost, aside from the fact that Irene was a glamourous idol and she just a bookstore owner.

 

Overtime, rather than get annoyed by when people told her she looked like Irene. She would simply respond politely and sometimes say thank you. What else could she do but say thanks. She can’t help it if she looks like an idol. It’s not like she can change her face that’s been all hers for the past 28 years.

 

“Oh, well you really do look like Irene. She’s my favorite.”

 

“Ah,” The brunette nods and runs her fingers through her hair. “I am not really familiar with them.”

 

“Oh?” The customer looks shocked again but for an entirely different reason. Who doesn’t know Red Velvet at this point in life. Luckily, the customer doesn’t continue on and Joohyun sighs in relief.

 

“Are you okay, Hyun?” Rose walks over to her.

 

“Yeah, it’s nothing I’m not used to.”

 

“I won’t lie. When I first saw you I was shocked too, because you do look like Irene, or rather she looks like you?” Rose says but doesn’t sound very sure. “You’re older than her, right?”

 

“Yes.” Joohyun nods. “I looked her up before, she’s a little younger than I am.”

 

“You sure she’s not a relative and you just don’t know?”

 

Joohyun is positive that she isn’t related to Irene. For one thing Irene was born right here in Seoul and was adopted by former idol and fashion mogul Jung Jessica and her actress wife Hwang Tiffany. Joohyun was born in Daegu and has a younger sister but it’s certainly not Irene. Somehow, she and the idol have a freaky resemblance that can’t be explained with anything other than everyone in the world has a “twin” or so the saying goes.  Rose gets back to the cafe and Joohyun heads back to her office. She has regular staff that handles the bookstore cashier registers too, although sometimes she does like to check customers out herself, even though people will be shocked by her appearance from time to time.

 

“I’ll be back later. I’m going to just go throw some water on my face or something.”

 

“Sure thing, Irene!” Rose teases and Joohyun glares at her in such a way that it makes the auburn-haired woman laugh. Rose is lucky that she is her friend indeed, otherwise she would be fired by now.

 

“You’re lucky we’re friends.”

 

“Ah, but you love me.” Rose singsongs in a way that makes Joohyun smile. Rose is a very good friend and she feels lucky to have her. The brunette goes to her office and hopes that when she is out again more of the regular customers will be around. At least they are over the stunned stage about who she looks like. After all, Irene is a famous idol with famous parents, who is living an important life while she is just Bae Joohyun. A regular woman who opened a bookstore and is originally from Daegu. They couldn’t be a part of two more different worlds.


 

Two group members stood at the foot of their leader’s bed and shake their head in disbelief. Their leader is seriously still asleep when she should have woken up an hour ago to make sure they were awake. The taller redhead sighs and nudges the shorter blonde.

 

“Well, what the hell should we do with it?” Sooyoung asks as she uses her foot to kick at their leader’s leg.

 

“Kick it until it wakes up.” Yerim wonders as she too kicks the leader’s other leg. It doesn’t make her wake and she still lays there asleep.

 

“This is so unprofessional of our most precious and beloved leader.” Sooyoung says it sarcastically. “She’s the one who’s supposed to wake us up. But yet here she is sleeping her life away.”

 

“I still think we should kick her.”

 

The redhead laughs and shakes her head in the negative. As much as she would love to kick Irene into the next world. She isn’t stupid enough to actually attack her as the woman isn’t the most pleasant while waking up. Plus, despite her small stature she is oddly strong. Sooyoung walks over to her and yanks the blankets away from her.

 

“Princess Irene!” She shouts. “Get your lazy up.”

 

“Hm?” The brown-haired leader yawns but doesn’t open her eyes. She is comfortable in her bed and doesn’t want to get up. Yerim sighs and whispers to the taller girl that she’s going to get a bucket of water to throw on her.

 

“Yerimie, that’s so evil, so cruel, so vicious. God, do I love you.” The redhead grabs her by the face and pulls her into a heated kiss. The younger two makeout heavily for a few long moments. It’s long enough for them to forget about their sleeping leader, until Yerim reminds her.

 

“Soo, stop. We need to wake her up. We have schedules today.”

 

“Ugh, fine. Wake up, you good for nothing…” Sooyoung stops because Irene happens to wake up just when the redhead was about to finish insulting her. The oldest looks at Sooyoung with raised eyebrow.

 

“Good for nothing….” Irene repeats.

 

“Our good for nothing angel! We love you, leader-nim.”

 

Irene rolls her eyes at the obviousness of her two younger members. She loves them even though they can be two of the most frustrating people in her universe. But right now they do have things to get ready for. Irene gets out of bed and tells them she will be in ready in a little while.

 

“You’re the leader, you know. Shouldn’t you be waking us up?” Yerim throws  it out there.

 

“Maybe,” Irene shrugs. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to oversleep. We’ve just been so busy lately.”

 

The blonde nods in understanding. They have all been very busy with their company throwing them left and right into things. They barely get time to sleep as it is, and the two younger ones know Irene has it harder than they do in some cases. She is their leader after all.

 

“We understand.” The redhead agrees. “We’re all tired too, but this is where we lean on each other the most.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter