Chapter 1

Rocky

Hani's POV

 Eng! Eng! Eng! 

An annoyed groan slipped from my lips as I turned to the left side of my body, slamming my fluffy powder blue-hued pillow over my face, then let out another pissed off hiss. I wasn't a morning person. At all. The alarm proceeded to blare even through the cotton of the pillow   -completely defeating the purpose it was intended to have.- On the outside, I was seconds away from snoozing again, but internally, I was counting the seconds that my uptight, drug-addicted, mother would barge into my room, nagging for me to get up and get a life. 

 3, I can already hear her stomping coming from downstairs 

 2, her heavy steps can already be heard from outside my door. 

 1, her livid mummers come from the other side of the white, wooden door, then the jingling of the brass knob. 

  "Ahn Heeyeon! Get your lazy up! You're gonna be late!" There it was. My daily dose of beckoning, right on time. 

 Growls of pure frustration escaped my small pink lips as I felt her relentlessly tugging at my matching powder blue quilt that coated my slim frame, protecting me from the cold outside world. It was dangerous outside the duvet you know. Light poured in from the window by my bedside, allowing me to see the dusk that scattered and glided across my usually very dark room. "Heeyeon! I'm not going to tell you again to wake up." My mother scolded, then snatched the duvet off of my body. 

  "Alright. I get it. I'm up, you can get out now." I snarled under my breath as I tossed my pillow to the side before standing to my feet as my mother slammed the door behind her back as she walked out. I gave a quick filthy look, lifting my lips to show my teeth slightly before lifting my shirt above my head and throwing it into the plastic blue hamper that was filled with dirty clothes. After stripping off my sleep attire, I stood in the bathroom, staring deeply into my reflection od whom I didn't recognize to be me for a minute. 

  I was no longer that small, frail girl with the glowing pale skin and the sparkling ocean blue eyes. My new appearance consisted of lengthy, unkempt, chocolate-brown locks that covered my dead face. The light in my eyes had dimmed into dull blue spaces of empty hopes and dreams, faint grey bags can be seen from beneath my eyes. My skin still glowed, but just not with as much life as it did before. I seemed to be like a corpse of some sort, to be honest. 

Before another session of appearance criticism could take place, I let out a slight grunt before snatching my violet manual toothbrush then tied my hair back and scrubbed my 'pearly whites' as a dear friend of mine calls them. Gotta love Jung Hoseok. With a foamy spit in the sink, I was completely done with that, so I stripped off the rest of my clothes and hopped into the room temperature water, pulling my locks back in the water than closing my eyes as the warm water trickled down my frame, relaxing my once crabby persona was instantly washed away and replaced with a state of bliss with every drop. 

 The shower was like Heaven, I wanted to stay in there forever, hiding away from the world and allowing myself to sink into the liquid embrace that kept me safe and loved, but sadly, that couldn't happen. I was snapped out my meditation by the feminine scold of the woman that not only gave birth to me but would probably nag me to my demise as well. 

  "Heeyeon!" The woman bellowed out, causing me to sigh once again, then turn the steel knobs till the tub turned to a drought, not a single droplet was released from the faucet. Without a second thought, I snatched my fluffy, coal-black towel off the silver rack that rested by the tub, wrapping it around my slim frame then stepping out the shower cautiously leaving the porcelain tub and onto the smoky-grey tiled flooring of the bathroom. I was taking my sweet time, but that was until I snuck a glance to the clock...seven thirty...I was late by half an hour. Rushing into my bedroom, I threw on my uniform which consisted of a bubble-gum pink t-shirt with a peachy, neon green from that carried a cheesy smile on his face while holding a sign that read 'Gunderson's Daycare' in sloppy, crimson red lettering.  SLipping on my black skinny jeans and timberlands were a piece of cake after that, facing my mother...not so much. 

  "You're late again, aren't you? I told you to get up earlier! You do nothing but sleep all the damn time! You're a grown woman, yet you don't have a stable job! You don't have a place of your own." She snarled, venom dripped with every word that she spoke to me. My father sat silently with a coffee mug in his hand and his eyes transfixed on a stupid piece of paper that seemed to be more important than the family itself. 

   "You're really one to talk mom! You live off of dad, without him, you'd be just the way that you see me!" I snapped back, my voice stabbing into her like a million daggers that accompanied the dagger that I shot with my cold glare. "You point out every single flaw that I have, but you leave out your own." I bellowed out. 

  "I am the one that cooks for you, cleans up after you! I provide for you! Without me, you're nothing but just a loser that lives on the streets that no one wants to put up with!" My mother practically screamed to the top of her lungs, slamming her hands against the maple wood table. 

  "You know what? If I'm such a burden then I won't bother you anymore. Clearly, that's all you see me as. By the way, I'm pretty sure they'res some pot left in my drawer. Have it." I scoffed, storming to the front door, then swinging it open, storming out then slamming it behind me. After that, I walked, I walked to no clear destination, I just walked where ever the road was leading me, for hours.

Her words replayed in my head like a broken record, stabbing me over and over. That really was all she saw me as. A loser, a failure at life, but I guess that's how everyone saw me. I hated my life at this point. I had no purpose of being here anymore. As much as I loved my friends, they had their own lives to live, they'd be better off without me anyway, I'd probably just drag them down my pit of dereliction. They would be more successful without me. 

 Due to the distortion of my vision from the welling tears, I didn't see anything ahead of me, causing me to run face first into a bulky, broad, solid body that knocked me down in less than a second. One minute I was strolling through the emptied sidewalk, the next I was on my in front of a stranger. What a great day. 

"Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. Are you okay?" A masculine voice asked, immediately gripping my arm and helping me to my feet. Heavy concern shivered in his tone. 

 "Don't worry, I'm okay. Thank you for helping me up." I said as I dusted off my clothes from the dust that covered the cement sidewalks. When I looked up and got a glance at the man, I was in complete shock, but also a lightbulb went off in my mind. This was an idea that I knew my friends would despise but felt it had be done, for my sake. 

 The man was dress in a neat, navy blue attire, his jacket was coated in gleaming metals and rows and rows of ribbons, a matching cap on his head and blinding, glimmering shoes that reflected the sun's rays into my eyes. 

  "Are you...in the military?" My voice trembled with a wave of scenarios that crashed over me from the sudden idea. 

  "Yes ma'am, serving the Marine corps for over three years now." The male beamed, his eyes crinkled with his wrinkled cheeks with the beaming of his brightened mood. 

  "You wouldn't happen to know...any recruiters would you?" I couldn't believe the words that fell from my mouth. What was I thinking?

 "Of course. Here is a pamphlet with all of the information for the Marines, if you're interested. The bus for the boot camp leaves tomorrow at dusk, at ten o'clock to be exact. Here you go. I'd love to stay and tell you more, but I'd better get going." He stated, before handing me the pamphlet and running off with a smile on his face. I stared at the papers for a decent five minutes before fishing my small device from my back pocket, unlocking it and clicking the first contact I had seen before lifting the phone to my ear, my eyes never leaving the papers that displayed a man in camo uniform, carrying a rifle that was strapped to his form. 

  "Hey, Hani! What's up?" A deep, raspy voice called out from the other end of the phone, breaking my concentration and slapping me back into reality. 

  "Hey, Tae, sorry to call so early. Are the boys with you by any chance?" I asked, worry filled my tone because I knew they were probably going to flip as soon as this crazy idea slipped from my mouth. 

  "Yeah, they're here. Why? What's up?" He answered to me. 

  "I was wondering if you guys wanted to go out tonight...I'm going through some stuff right now and um...I wanted to tell you guys something that's really important, but I want to do it in person..." I said anxiety filled my to the brim as his silence sliced through the atmosphere. 

  "Yeah, sure, text us where you wanna go and we will be there." He chuckled cheerfully. Taehyung was always quite the happy pill, his smile was so contagious that without even seeing it, my own lips curl to a small smile. 

  "See you guys then." I nodded, saying my farewells before ending the call and shoving the phone back in my pocket. 

   One thought pulsed in my brain: Ahn Heeyeon, what the hell are you doing?