Chapter 1

Americano

Yongsun stepped off the plane, tired but exuberant. She’d just spent 14 hours on a plane, flying across the Atlantic and through a diamond studded sky to reunite with her girlfriend in Korea. It had been a year since they’d been able to hold each other, and that time was about to come to an end. “Just be patient for a year baby, and we'll be together again. Time will fly fast, you won't even realize I'm not with you”, Moonbyul said the day before she left for her studies and America. Yongsun came to love America. She got to practice her English along with her music studies and she met great people. But in the end, wanted to go back to Korea and persue her dream as a singer there and reunite with her family, childhood friends and her lover.

So once she finished with her studies she hopped on the first plane that would carry her to her love. She waded through the other passengers, trying to make her way to baggage claim where they had agreed to met. Moonbyul had promised her that the first thing they would do is grab some coffee and Yongsun desperately needed a huge iced Americano. She’d been awake for more than 24 hours straight and didn’t want to go to sleep any time soon.

As she stepped onto the moving sidewalk her cell phone buzzed. It was Moonbyul. “I can’t wait to see you. I have a little gift for you”, it read. Yongsun beamed, her heart warming even more as she thought about her girlfriend waiting downstairs for her. Those few words perked her right up, and had nearly the same effect that coffee would. Sleep? Who would need sleep when she would be with the most beautiful girl in the world?

“Do you think you could move to one side?” a gruff voice came from behind her.

Yongsun looked up from her cell to see a large man with a scowl on his face standing behind her. “Oh, I’m sorry,” she said and scooted over on the walkway. She’d gotten so absorbed in looking at her phone’s wallpaper (a photo of her and Moonbyul on Han river that a kind stranger had taken) that she hadn’t even noticed she was hogging up the walkway. But she wasn’t going to let some burly guy bring her down. In mere minutes she would be in the arms of the love of her life. Nothing could destroy her good mood.

The sidewalk came to an end and Yongsun weaved her way through other travelers. Off to the side other reunions were taking place. Couples embracing, a grandmother hugging her grandchildren, two twin sisters crying as they embraced each other. “Almost there!” she sent Moonbyul and stuffed her phone in her back pocket.

A second later she was in baggage claim, and there at the other end was her girlfriend looking around to find her. Gods, how could she turn even more beautiful than she already was? She wore blue coloured contacts and her hair fell like a silver waterfall on her shoulders. With her black blazer on top of a white turtleneck, ripped black jeans and black combat boots she looked like she came straight from a magazine cover.  Their eyes linked and nothing else mattered. She took off running towards the other end of the room and didn’t stop until they had their arms wrapped around each other and sharing sweet kisses. Both of them sobbed, embracing each other tightly, never wanting to let go.

The two stayed that way for a few minutes, uncaring if they were making a scene. When Moonbyul finally stepped back she immediately hit one knee. In her hand she held a small velvet box with a blue gem inside. Even her eyes seemed to be smiling as she looked up at Yongsun and into the eyes of the woman she loved with her whole heart.

 

“You know, in my whole life, I've never found a person more beautiful, y, and smart as you. I love everything about you Yongsun. The way you sing and express yourself. Your cute pouts and your dolphin laugh. Your eye smile and the adorable little mole on your eye. I told you before you left that time will pass by in an instant. That's was such a tragic lie. I didn't stop thinking about you every single moment, my bed felt empty without you. The moment you left for New York, I realized you were the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with. Let me love you, let me worship you. Will you be mine Yongsun? Will you marry me?”

Yongsun’s heart skipped a beat as more tears poured from her eyes. Tears of joy, tears of gratitude. Yongsun nodded her head. “Yes Byul, I wanna be with you till the end of time.” Moonbyul jumped up and immediately embraced her lover again, both girls so happy their hearts were overflowing. The entire baggage claim area was clapping when Moonbyul slipped the garnet engagement ring onto Yongsun’s finger. They continued to clap when the two girls kissed for the first time as fiancee’s.

 

“You never cease to amaze me baby. This was the best gift in my life!” Yongsun said when they finally separated, her face beaming with happiness.


“You, being with me, is the best thing I could ask for.”

“I love you.”

“I love you, too,” Moonbyul said and linked her hand with Yongsun’s. “Come on. Let me get you that cup of coffee I promised you.”

Yongsun smiled and followed Moonbyul down the hall to the coffee cart.