two.

why don't you stay at mine tonight?
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

An hour turns into closer to two hours because dinner got busy and Nayeon ended up having to cover for the closing waitress who couldn’t come in on time because her kid was sick. And the night gets harsh and unforgiving as customers act atrocious and Nayeon’s excited mood seems to be dropping into something less than ideal.

And by the time her shift ends, she’s starting to feel completely underdressed, overworked, sweaty and generally unattractive. It was not how she wants to feel on her first date in a long time, with a woman way out of her league. The sympathetic look that Jeongyeon gives her as she clocked out made her feel even more grouchy, she could only return it with a pout.

“Cheer up, Nayeon, you’re going out with a pretty girl.”

“To be honest, at this point I just want to go to bed.”

“I don’t think she’d mind take you there either.”

Nayeon gave a glare, but Jeongyeon could only return it with a laugh, pushing her friend through the doors. A contrast to how she was earlier, complaining about the disgusting actions and words she had said. She knew even though she had said differently that her best friend had been happy for her, but still her night's mood had really started to put a damper on how excited she was. Not even Jeongyeon’s encouragement felt as if it was enough to change it.

“Go, she’s waiting for you, she’s kept her eyes on the door for the last half an hour, hoping to see you out of your apron.” Nayeon could only shove Jeongyeon at her words, which earned herself a glare even before Nayeon’s response spilled out.

“Gross, stop staring at women, you’re a taken woman!”

“You’re about to be a very unemployed woman minus a best friend if you don’t shut up.”

Nayeon had a retort on the tip of her tongue, but Sana’s smile made the words fall away from her thoughts, let alone stop her from speaking. The woman at this point had already left her table and was leaning against the wall by the entrance.

She almost seemed smug to see the other girl. Not that Nayeon could even begin to fathom why.

“So you’ve finally been set free?” She questions as she moves toward Nayeon’s still figure, apparently she had forgotten how to walk as well. Nayeon would love to make a response except Sana’s grabbed her hand and has pulled her through the front door and all Nayeon could do is focus directly at their interlocked hands. “Sorry, I couldn’t risk losing you to work any longer.”

“Oh,” seemed to be the only words she could form before shaking her head. “I’m sorry about the wait, we’re very understaffed recently, and I can’t say no when they’re slammed, honestly. And then our co-worker said her daughter got sick, and from what I know of Yeri she’s a handful normally so I can only imagine what her mom’s going through and-” Sana puts a finger to her lips before Nayeon can continue though, which means she’s got a wrinkle on her forehead instantly.

“You were worth the wait, I don’t need to know the details to know you’re a good person, I’ve seen you before.” Sana can only smile, which Nayeon feels the instant need to return, even when Sana adds the, “Well! In the least creepy way, I promise.”

“I feel kind of silly going to the restaurant in this button down, it’s a mess. Not even the apron could save me from all the drinks and food that spilled on me in the last two hours. And that place is….very fancy.”

Nayeon feels the way her cheeks heat up, and she wishes for once she had control of the response. Usually, she adds that it’s part of her charm, but for right now, she feels ridiculous.

“Well, I think you look gorgeous, okay?”

“I kind of still want to change, but I feel bad that restaurant closes soon doesn’t it? I feel bad for even going, I know how much I hate late customers.”

Sana shakes her head though and Nayeon feels a tug toward the car in the parking lot that if she’s honest looks like it costs more than every paycheck she’s ever had and the ones she would receive for the rest of her life.

It’s not til they’re both seated in the car, Sana having opened the passenger door for her and everything, that she answers.

(Nayeon’s never felt this special on a first date if she’s honest.)

“When I said that I’m owed a seat, I meant it. Any time, even after close. I basically saved them from a crisis, and it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve shown up close. But if it makes you feel better, I called ahead, they know we’re coming, and they don’t close for two more hours.”

Nayeon nods her head, but Sana seems to let a breath out when Nayeon visibly relaxed. She can’t help but tease Sana slightly.

“You seem nervous, and I’m the one that got invited out by the pretty rich woman that shows up at my work sometimes.” Nayeon’s almost nervous to say but the laugh she gets in return seems to make it worth it. Sana’s words however seem to take Nayeon by surprise.

“I am nervous. Does it seem so impossible that I can be nervous about going on a date?”

“Maybe a little, you were pretty confident earlier.”

“Hm, well, I’ve always been a good actress.”

Nayeon almost thinks she’s joking but even in the darkness of the car she can tell that she’s not the only one who seems to have their emotions written across her face. “Don’t be nervous, I said yes didn’t I?”

“That you did. And well, I do seem to fit your type, what was it you said, you’re picky and a lesbian, looking for a woman who’s pretty and rich?”

Nayeon’s sure the way her eyes widen and how she chokes on her own breath must make her look not only like an idiot but comical as well. “Uh...what was that you said?”

Sana takes a moment, to park the car and turn the engine off, unbuckling her seatbelt only so she can turn better towards Nayeon, a smirk on her face.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter