Final

Not Meant To Be
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunjung sighed as she looked at her reflection in the mirror. The apricot colored dress she was wearing stopped right below her knees and complimented her skin nicely. She remembered how she went shopping with her best friend and what an amazing day that had been. It seemed so long ago and now her best friend was getting married today. 

"Eunjung!" 

The girl turns around to meet the fiancee or by the end of today's ceremony, the wife. "Haeyoung, what are you doing here? You should be getting ready," Eunjung looks at the time, "Is there any problems?"

Haeyoung grabbed Eunjung's arm and pulled her close, "Could you go and check up on Jeno for me? I know it's bad luck if the wife goes and I'm worried. You know him best, Eunjung. Please?" She batted her eyelashes at her and tried her best to persuade the maid of honor. Eunjung chuckled and nodded her head, "Alright, alright - I'll go and take a peek. You should go and get ready for Jeno." Eunjung lightly pushed her back into the room and hears Haeyoung thanking her multiple times. 

Kim Haeyoung, the love of Jeno's life and a good friend of Eunjung. She could see why Jeno was deeply in love with Haeyoung. She was such a sweet and caring person and even Eunjung approved of her. The two had been dating for 3 years before Jeno proposed to Haeyoung a couple of months ago. Eunjung was their immediate choice as the maid of honor and she was equally as busy as they were with preprations for the wedding. She helped both Haeyoung and Jeno pick out their respective outfits for the wedding, helped them decided on their cake, booked their venue and a whole lot more. 

As Eunjung headed to Jeno's room, her stomach began to drop with each step she took. Today was supposed to be a happy day - Jeno was getting married after all. So, why did she feel so down? Simple. 

She was in love with Jeno herself. 

Nearly 20 years of friendship was enough time to make someone fall in love and it happened to Eunjung. She had caught feelings for her own best friend.

"Don't think about that anymore, Eun. It's Jeno's special day, be happy for him," she thought to herself as she pats her cheeks. She arrived in front of the room and knocked on the door. "Jeno? It's me," she announced and heard his footsteps near the door. She was blown away by how good he looked in his suit but his hair was a complete mess. 

"Thank god you're here," he pulled her inside the room and locked the door, "Please please please help me with my hair. It's a bad day for a bad hair day." He sat down in front of the mirror and placed the brush in her hands. Eunjung is used to doing his hair, she's been doing it nearly every day for the past 20 years. As she combed his hair, Jeno began to speak. 

"I'm so nervous, Jungie," he used her nickname that he made when they were 7. "I know I'm doing what I think is right but it's just that - so many things can happen, you know?" He sighed and looked at Eunjung through the large mirror, "I'm glad you're here today, Jungie."

"And why is that?"

He smiled and his eyes turned into crescent shapes, "You being here is enough to calm my nervousness. I'm so lucky to have you as my best friend, Jungie. Haeyoung and I were thinking about giving you something as thanks for helping us make our dream wedding come true. She was always worried about the planning but seeing how well you handled it made her enjoy the process more. I can't imagine what it would be like without you here."

"Don't say that... Don't make it harder for me."

"Well, you would be stuck with horrible wedding pictures for the rest of your days," she applied some gel onto his hair, "And Haeyoung would have forgotten to pick up her own wedding dress." The two laughed at Eunjung's harmless tease and Jeno's laughter made her stomach twist. 

She placed her hands on his shoulders and both of them looked at each other through the mirror.

"It just seemed like yesterday we were kids," Eunjung squeezed his shoulders as he placed his hand over hers, "Look at us now. You're getting married today and I'll probably get married by the time I reach 60."

Jeno scoffed at her remark, "You'll find someone out there, Jungie. Someone who'll make you happier than you've ever been. I'm lucky enough to have found you and Haeyoung." 

"You're the only one for me."

"And I'm lucky to have found an annoyingly sweet best friend like you, Jeno."

"Promise me something, Jungie. Promise me that even after each of us get married, we'll still be best friends." 

Jeno turned around to look directly into her eyes. He saw how Eunjung scoffed at his request.

"I'm with you until forever, Jeno. You can't get rid of me that easily." 

 

 

Vows were exchanged and cheers were exclaimed. Now had come the time Eunjung had been preparing for - her speech. Both Haeyoung and Jeno had suggested it but didn't pressure her to do so yet Eunjung knew this was a responsibility she had to do. The emcee of the wedding ceremony announced her name and Eunjung came up to the front as the crowd clapped. She was nervous to speak in front of the crowd but seeing Jeno's smiling face was enough to calm her jitters. 

"Good evening everyone. First and foremost, I would like to thank each and everyone of you who

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter