FINAL

Serendipity
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

DAY 1 

 

Byul took off her apron as she heaved a sigh of relief over finishing another shift at the coffee shop. Checking her watch, 10pm.. she slowly fixed her hair that has become so unruly, reflecting how tired she has been today. Her life as a working student for the past 3 months has started to take its toll on her.

Life wasnt always this difficult. She started her college as a scholar student. While they weren't rich, her parents made sure to make ends meet just to support her studies in Oxford, one of the most prestigious universities in world. While they weren't as well-off as the rest of the population in the University, her parents wanted her to get the best education, in the hopes that she would be able to transcend and improve their status.

But the past months, in her last semester in college, the bills started to pile up and she was just embarassed to ask for money from her parents. Despite being a scholar, Byul still needs money for project materials, food, graduation fees.. All additional expenses that she knew would be a burden to her parents. So, she decided to take on this part-time job, without telling her family, as she knew the will object to it.

Placing her apron in her cubicle as she was preparing to log-out from her shift, she heard a thud as she threw this inside the small box. Pulling it out slowly, a phone fell from the pocket. She suddenly remembered that she picked this up from one of the tables earlier but forgot to turn it over to the lost and found. Inspecting the phone in her hand for any indications of ownership she was surpries when it vibrated as a message came in.

The phone had no passcode, so she decided to snoop a little just to trace its owner. Opening the latest 5 messages, all from the same unknown number, she decided to read on.

''Whoever you are, I know you have my phone and I need it back. You can do this the easy way and return it, or I'll make sure that the police will trace you.''

''So which is it? You want to do this the hard way, ey?''

''I swear the police will be on your tail first thing in the morning tomorrow!''

''You better hide!! I wont even go through the police, I'd get you with my own bare hands!!''

''Sorry about the threat, I didnt mean any of it. I just really.. really.. Need my phone back, please?''

Byul shook her head in laughter and decided to finish and log out for the night. She placed the phone on her bag, deciding that she will return the phone to the owner herself rathen than surrendering it to the lost and found. Not to exact any kind of reward, it's just that her curiousity was pigued by the character of its owner.

Almost an hour after, she was back at the dorm. She was dead tired, but still had to stay up for a few hours to do her school work. Slumping on her bed, she took a few moments to close her eyes in an attempt to ease out some of the tension in her body. To say that she was dead tired was an understatement. Rolling over to her side, she remembered the phone, and how its owner should be crazy worried for whatever importance this thing holds in her life.

Sitting up on her bed, she got the phone from her bag and hit reply to the unknown number.

''Hi, I found your phone at the cafe earlier.''

She closed her eyes to resume resting, thinking that the owner would possibly be already asleep by now. But the phone vibrated as a message came in not even a minute after.

''I need my phone back.. i'd give you a reward, I dont care how much, just give it back.''

Byul had to laugh as she felt insulted, but amused at the same time. She decided to play along with the owner.

Byul: ''Dear Ms. Phone Owner, well, I'm assuming you're a miss considering the tone of your messages. I wasn't really thinking of asking for a reward, but now that you mentioned it..''

Unknown Owner: ''Oh please.. Stop pretending.. So, how much do you want?''

Byul: ''I am actually insulted by your tone because I was honest when I said I wasn't going to ask for a reward.

Byul decided to save the name of the owner in the contacts as ''Psycho Girl'', and had to laugh as she did so.

Psycho Girl: ''Stop with the act.. Nobody does anything good these days without asking for anything in return.''

Byul: ''Wow, you are one bitter person. Seriously, what's your beef?''

Psycho Girl: ''You, Mr or Ms. or whatever, you dont have a right to judge me! You just stole my phone and now you feel privileged to judge me?''

Byul: ''It's Ms. actually, and I didnt steal your phone. You left it at the cafe, I found it. End of Story.''

PG: ''Yeah righ! I'm sure you were just scared that I'd call the police.''

B: ''Seriously?? Did you parents like sell you when you were young, or throw you off the cliff? You are one bitter and deranged person!''

PG: ''... Just give me my phone back, please?

B: ''hmm, now I'm curious. What's so important in here?''

PG: ''PLEASE DONT TOUCH ANYTHING!''

B:''Wow, all caps! Maybe I'll snop a little..''

PG: ''Please.. Don't :(.''

B: ''Hey, I'm sorry.. I was just kidding. Whatever is in here must be really important to you. I'll keep it safe. I promise.''

PG: ''thanks.."

B: ''Why do I have a feeling that you're always sad? or that you have a habit of making yourself sad?''

PG:''I'm not.. I don't...''

B: ''Okay, sorry if you felt I was prying.. It's just that you seem so.. I don't know.. Lost, pained.. Hurt?''

10 minutes have passed and Byul didnt recieve any reply. Thinking that the owner could have already fallen asleep, she decided to do her school work until the wee hours in the morning.

 

----------

DAY 2

 

''Hi, welcome to starbucks, what can I get you today?'' Byul called out to the next customer.

''I'll have a tall white chocolate mocha, no whip.''

''And anything you want to eat?''

''What would you recommend with taht?''

''I personally like the rattatoullie on ciabatta with it.''

''Ok then..''

''Your name for the coffe cup please?''

''Yongsun''

''Ok Yongsun.. That will be 245. I'll just serve everything to your table.'' Byul said before handing Yongsun her change.

 

****

 

''Hi, Miss Yongsun, your tall white chocolate mocha and rattatoullie on ciabatta specially delivered by your favorite barista..''

Yongsun chuckled at Byul's statement. ''Favourite? I've never even met you before.''

''Yeah I know, I just wanted to make you smile coz it seemed like you were having a bad day. By the way I'm Moonbyul you can call me Byul.''

''Nice to meet you Byul.''

''So whats botheriing you today? Do you need me to call the troops for a retaliation attack on your a-hole boyfriend?''

Yongsun had to cover her face as she was laughing so hard. Using her hand to fan her face, she tried to speak through laughter, ''No.. No boyfriend.. no love problems... and no need to send the troops.'' She reached out her hand to offer her hand to Byul, ''Yongsun, but you can call me Yong..'' She said as they shook hands.

''That's good, coz i dont really have any troops, and I dont think I could stage a war all by myself. Anyway, I gotta go back to work. I hope you get over whatever it is  that is bothering you..'' Byul smiled as she put down Yongsun's coffe cup on the table before walking away.

Yong picked up her cup. She was about to take a sip when something caught her eye. Turning the cup in her hand she saw that Byul has written on her cup ''everything starts with a smile, Yongsun.'' and a smile crept up her face. She shook her head to focus before opening her homework.

****

B: ''Hi, I was expecting you to text me how you'll get your phone.''

PG: ''I was busy.''

B: ''sorry if you felt offended last night.. I didnt mean to pry.''

PG: ''its okay..''

B: "so, what's making you sad?"

PG: "just some problems... But it seems to be getting brighter now. "

B: "That's good to hear. So what changed?"

PG: "hmmm.. Someone just made me realize that I shouldn't make myself feel sad all the time."

B: "I can imagine you smiling now, instead of the dragon you were yesterday"

PG: "HEY!!!"

B: " haha kidding!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter