Chapter 2

Artificial Flower

Sungjong’s awakening wasn’t grand, there was no shocked gasp of sudden awareness or friends and family crying around him as he slowly rejoined the world of the living.

Sungjong woke up alone, the heart rate monitor grating on his numbed senses. He could feel the gauze on his face and a brace around his neck, nearly strangling him. His arms, although heavy, were at his sides, seemingly unharmed under the sleeves of his hospital clothes. His legs though…

A blanket had been pulled up and tucked around his torso. There were two mounds where his legs were but Sungjong couldn’t feel the weight of the blanket for the material against his bare feet. He could twitch his fingers and gingerly lift his hands, even bend his elbows just fine, but he couldn’t even move his toes.

His erratic breathing and accelerating heartbeat brought the nurses in, who tried in vain to calm the panicking actor. It took a needle to Sungjong’s arm for him to fade out again.

 

 

The days following the accident were horrendous. Everything hurt. His head, his chest, his arms. Everything but his legs. Sungjong couldn’t feel anything below his waist, the doctors saying he would never walk again. 

Sungjong had taken on a muteness, only responding to questions by shaking and nodding his tender head, well, as much as the neck brace allowed. Sunggyu had done enough shouting for the both of them, screaming at nurses and receptionists and doctors. The older’s frustrations stemming from the statement Kyungsoo’s company had given.

Sungjong had had a few drinks and Kyungsoo had followed Sungjong outside to make sure he got to his arriving car alright. Sungjong had stumbled and Kyungsoo had tried to catch him but it was too late. Kyungsoo is deeply hurt from witnessing the accident first hand and only wished for his friend’s speedy recovery.

 

Again, Sungjong was the angry drunk and Kyungsoo was the hapless witness.

 

Sungjong didn’t even have to check social media to know the public opinion of him had worsened even more. He had heard the nurses gossiping on more than one occasion.

“I can’t believe that er.” Sunggyu seethed as he slammed the door closed. “Kyungsoo is graciously paying all of your hospital bills.”. It was clear that Sunggyu believed that Sungjong would have a similar outburst but Sungjong only sighed and stared mutely at his lap. “We should sue him for pushing you, for doing this to you.”. Sungjong had told Sunggyu what had happened. Actually, Sungjong had messily scrawled his side of the story on a piece of paper for the older to read.

Sungjong reached for a pen and wrote two words on the paper on the table that extended over his knees.

“ ‘I’m done’. What do you mean, Sungjong?”. Sungjong continued writing despite Sunggyu’s nervous chuckle.

‘I quit. Have my contract terminated.’

“Whatever medication they have you on, they’re using too much, okay? I’ll get everything straightened out and-.”.

Sungjong slapped his palm against Sunggyu’s stomach to stop the older from droning on.

I’m tired of everyone hating me for things I didn’t even do. I’m done with it all.’

“Please, Sungjong. Just let me figure this out. I’m not ready to stop being your manager. Please.”. The tears in Sunggyu’s voice made Sungjong’s stomach clench but Sungjong didn’t remove his gaze from the paper as he shook his head.

What was the point anyway? He was paralyzed from the waist down. His acting career was over. No one would higher a wheelchair bound man for a lead role. He was damaged goods that no one would want.

Sunggyu’s break down was interrupted by a knock on the door. Sunggyu quickly collected himself, drying his eyes with his sleeve, and opened the door before looking to see who was there. They were expecting a doctor, not Do Kyungsoo. Sungjong instantly bristled, his bruised body thrumming with pain and his aching head snapping to fully glare at the other.

“Here to gloat or just look at your handy work?” Sunggyu snapped, unable to get the door closed before Kyungsoo forced his way inside.

The actor’s eyes were dark, sunken in as if he hadn’t slept for days and he flinched at Sunggyu’s words. His lips quivered as he tried to speak but when he looked up at Sungjong’s battered body, only a small groan came out before Kyungsoo dropped to his knees at Sungjong’s bedside.

To Sungjong’s utter shock, Kyungsoo’s body formed an apologetic bow, his forehead kissing the floor. A rival for most of Sungjong’s career, Kyungsoo had proven time and time again that he was a stubborn man with a cold demeanour that always took opportunities to let Sungjong and other actors know they were beneath him.

Under any other circumstance, Sungjong would have revelled in having the other man bowing at his feet, but now, it only made Sungjong sick to his stomach.

“Get up.” Sunggyu spoke the words Sungjong wanted to say, just as quietly and somber too.

“I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo whimpered, ignoring Sunggyu as he kept his head down. “I…I didn’t mean for this to happen.”. Sungjong’s fist clenched the blanket spread over his thighs.

“Could have fooled me.” Sunggyu spat. “You pushed him. You’ve ruined his life and his career. He wants to terminate his contract because of you.”. The venom in Sunggyu’s voice made even shocked Sungjong, causing the younger to send a concerned look to his manager. Sunggyu’s fists were clenched at his sides, knuckles white, and his teeth clenched in a menacing grimace. With years of having Sunggyu managing him under his belt, Sungjong could tell when Sunggyu was close to losing the perfect grip of his calm persona. 

Sungjong hastily scribbled a note on a piece of paper, tore it from the notebook, and tossed it at Sunggyu’s head. The sudden but light impact knocked Sunggyu out of whatever angry haze he was in. Unfolding the paper ball in his hands, Sunggyu hastily read the message and scowled.

I’m thirsty.’.

“I just brought you water.” Sunggyu frowned, eyes darting to the paper cup of water he had brought Sungjong a half hour ago that was only missing two sips. Sungjong also looked to the cup on his bedside table. Sungjong swiftly backhanded the cup and it spilled loudly as it fell the floor.

Sunggyu released a disgruntled sigh, sending Kyungsoo a heated glare. “Don’t you ing touch him.”. There was no time for Kyungsoo to give a response before Sunggyu was closing the door behind him.

Kneeling on the floor, Kyungsoo’s expression was dumbstruck, staring at the door longer than necessary before he twisted his neck to stare unsurely at Sungjong. Sungjong lifted up his palm, telling Kyungsoo to stand as he leaned back into his raised bed.

Kyungsoo shifted uncomfortably as he stood at Sungjong’s bedside. Sungjong stared at him expectantly, any amount of hatred he had felt having seeped out of his body. Hating Kyungsoo was too easy to do, but what was the point? Hating Kyungsoo wouldn’t fix his legs.

“I’m sorry.” Kyungsoo’s voice snapped Sungjong out of his thoughts and Sungjong gave a short nod of acceptance. Kyungsoo shifted nervously as he looked down at his hands, inadvertently looking at Sungjong’s covered legs. “Are you really going to do it? Quite acting, I mean?”. Kyungsoo’s tone sounded broken, guilt ridden.

Sungjong exhaled through his nose and nodded. The pen was back in Sungjong’s hand was he wrote in his notebook.

‘I can’t work like this. Recovery period is too long. No one will hire me like this.’.

“I…I can make directors hire you. Please, Sungjong.” Kyungsoo pleaded.

‘I can’t deal with everything right now. I’m just tired. I want to rest.’.

“What are you going to do?”.

Sungjong held his pen over the paper, but didn’t write, trying to put his thoughts into proper words.

‘I’m going to move to a house in the countryside. Stay out of sight and just live.’.

“I’ll buy you a house.” Kyungsoo spoke immediately after he finished reading. Sungjong was quick to shake his head. “Please, Sungjong. Let me do something. I did this so why won’t you let me-?”.

Sungjong held up his hand to silence Kyungsoo before he started writing again.

‘My parents’ house. They left it to me. That’s where I’ll live.’.

Kyungsoo still didn’t seem pleased and Sungjong was starting to get frustrating. He didn’t want Kyungsoo’s pity but the other was intent of appeasing Sungjong in some way, whether Sungjong want it or not.

‘You’re already paying my hospital bills. That’s enough.’.

“No its not.” Kyungsoo muttered, fists clenching. The tense moment was interrupted by Sunggyu returning with two styrofoam cups, one filled with water and the other with what smelled like coffee. Sunggyu, shouldered passed Kyungsoo to place the cup of water on the table. The coffee remained in Sunggyu’s hand as he took a large swallow.

“Did Sungjong tell you he’s moving to the countryside?” Kyungsoo spoke quickly, angrily. Sunggyu’s eyes widened and he nearly spit his coffee out. Coughing and hacking loudly, Sunggyu beat his fist against his chest to clear his airway. 

“What the ?!” he seethed.


I'm going to be keeping the rest of the chapters rather short so I can update more often....I'll do my best to to try to update at least once a month for this one.

Have a good day or night :-D