The Last: Roller Coaster

a waltz out of my thoughts

 

It was the last night of Seulgi and Wendy’s five-day camping trip. They will finally be returning to their university’s campus tomorrow afternoon.

 

Joohyun had been missing Seulgi the moment she stepped out of their dorm room. Already used to having the taller girl around, Joohyun suddenly didn’t know what to do with all the free time she had.

 

Ring!

 

Joohyun’s phone rings and she immediately runs from her bed up to her desk, thinking that her best friend might be calling her.


 

Oh.” Joohyun takes a look at the contact name and sees that it wasn’t Stupid Bear <3.

 

Nevertheless, Joohyun answers the call as she recognizes it to be one of her close friends back in high school.

 

“Hey, Chungha. What’s up?”

 

“Oh nothing. I was just wondering if you are free tonight? I wanted to catch up. I did a concert in your university last time but I had another schedule right after so I couldn’t meet up with you!” Chungha explains.

 

“I know. I watched the concert. You killed it.” Joohyun smiles. “You picked the right time to call. I’m about to die of boredom! Thank you for saving me.” Joohyun rants.

 

Great! Let’s meet at the usual place?”

 

“You got it.”


 

 

Joohyun and Chungha decided to meet up at their favorite coffee shop which was near Joohyun’s campus.

 

Joohyun arrived first and she ordered her favorite carrot cake and some tea to go with it. Chungha soon followed and placed her order as well before proceeding to sit over at their table.

 

The two ladies then chatted away and filled each other in with the events that had recently transpired since their last meeting.

 

As expected their conversation really took off and they touched upon various topics. Their new nail polishes, new books they’ve been into recently with some spicy gossip about their old friends here and there.

 

It was just inevitable that they would eventually land on the topic of romance and Chungha surely has a lot to say in that regard.

 

“So... I already found my soulmate.” Chungha blushes.

 

What? I thought you didn’t believe in, what you used to call as “that soulmate crap”? How did you even find her? I’m assuming it’s a her based on the obvious smile on your face, you little lesbian.” Joohyun rambles.

 

Chungha chuckles upon hearing that and confirms that it is indeed a her. “Well, you’re right. Besides, I don’t think the world would be so cruel to give me a guy as a soulmate.”

 

She takes a sip of her tea before continuing. “As for how I found her, I met her in the studio. She worked with me on some of the songs for my new album. Speaking of which!

 

Chungha scrambles to take something out of her bag, a CD, which she hands over to Joohyun.

 

That is my new album. You’re the first person I wanted to give it to.” Chungha smiles. “Actually, the second. But my girlfriend has been away for the last few days and I just finished recording the title track a few days ago.”

 

“Oh, wow. Thanks, Chungha. I’ll definitely listen to this right away.” Joohyun smiles back at Chungha.

 

“Just keep it to yourself first, okay? My album is not scheduled for a release until tomorrow night at 6PM so not even my girlfriend has heard the title track yet.”

 

“No problem. Thanks again for this. Really.” Joohyun says as she gets up and hugs Chungha.

 

“Anyway, that’s my manager. I gotta go. I’m sure you’ll find her, Joohyun.” Chungha gave her one last smile and a gentle squeeze on her shoulder before she left.


 

 

Later that night, Joohyun was back in her dorm room and was currently going through Chungha’s new album.

 

“This. Is. So. Catchy!” Joohyun excitedly dances as she listens to the title track of Chungha’s new album.

 

Roller coaster! Oooooh! I need your love oooh! Joohyun sings along as she types a text to Chungha.


 

OMG! This is gonna be such a big hit! It’s not yet even released and it’s already stuck in my head. I seriously can’t stop listening to it! Congratulations in advance. :)

 

 

Joohyun falls asleep listening to the same song that night with an excited smile on her face.


 

 

 

The following day, Joohyun continues to listen to the same song no matter what she does.

 

She listened to it when she took a bath this morning.

 

Also when she cooked breakfast for herself.

 

Even as she ate she was still listening to it.

 

And until now, while typing in her paper for her Journalism and Society class, she was bopping to the song.

 

She can’t remember the last time that she got this addicted to a song but this is pretty intense for her.

 

My soulmate is so lucky cause she also gets to hear Chungha’s unreleased track too. I think I’m doing my country good. Joohyun proudly thinks to herself.


 

 

 

On her soulmate’s end…

 

Seulgi and Wendy were now on their way back to their campus as their camping trip had ended almost two hours ago.

 

My soulmate must really love this song for her to be listening to it nonstop for the last 12 hours. Seulgi thinks.

 

Damn. Why can’t I find it though?” Seulgi is starting to get frustrated as her Google search comes up with no information regarding the song that is currently stuck in her head.

 

“Can’t find what?” Wendy asks.

“There’s this song that keeps playing in my head but I can’t find it.” Seulgi pouts.

 

“What are the lyrics? You’ll never find it cause you’re such a dummy. Just leave it to the Search King.” Wendy points to herself confidently.

 

Search King?” Seulgi looks at Wendy, as if judging her.

 

Wendy then searches the lyrics but ends up with nothing as well.

 

She tries again.

 

And again.

 

And yet again.

 

But each time she gets nothing.

 

“Pfft. Search King, my .” Seulgi chuckles and sticks her tongue out at Wendy.

 

“You’re even more of a dummy than I am! I’ll just go and ask Joohyunnie since we’re already here. Bye, dummy.

 

“Hey, don’t forget! We’re all going to the amusement park tomorrow! 10 AM, Kang! 10 AM!” Wendy shouts.

 

“Yeah, yeah. Don’t worry!” Seulgi shouts back as she continues to head home to her best friend.



 

 

It was around five o’clock in the afternoon when Seulgi arrives in their dorm room. The first thing she sees is Joohyun working on her paper while cutely dancing to the music she was currently listening to.

 

She immediately smiles at the endearing sight and realizes that she really, really missed her best friend.

 

She sneaks up behind the smaller girl and suddenly hugs her from behind which effectively startles the smaller girl.

 

Seulgi!” Joohyun takes out her earphones as she gets up to hug Seulgi tightly.

 

She then proceeds to hit the girl multiple times as she says, “Don’t. Ever. Leave. Me. Again.”

 

“Aww, Hyunnie. I missed you too.” Seulgi just laughs at her cute best friend.

 

Oh! I got you some carrot cake!” Seulgi smiles as she hands Joohyun her gift.

 

Yaysies! I’ve been wanting to eat more carrot cake since last night. Join me!”

 

Joohyun sets the cake on top of their dining table and takes a single fork from their cabinet.

 

“Hyun, I kinda need a fork too?” Seulgi points out.

 

No. Let me feed you. I missed feeding you.” Joohyun pouts.

 

Seulgi pinches Joohyun’s cheeks as she chuckles at her best friend’s cuteness. “You’re so cute, Hyunnie. Maybe I should leave more often.”

 

Don’t you dare, Kang Seulgi.” Joohyun glares at Seulgi and shoves a chunk of carrot cake in the latter’s mouth.

 

Woah, woah. I was just kidding. Calm down, Hyunnie.” Seulgi says as she chews.

 

“Oh yeah, I just remembered. I need your help.” Seulgi tells Joohyun.

 

“Help with what?” Joohyun asks as she takes another bite.

 

“There’s this song that has been stuck in my head since last night but I can’t seem to find it. It’s been bothering me. I need to know what song is this.” Seulgi looks at Joohyun like a lost puppy.

 

Oh. It’s about her soulmate.

 

Joohyun feels her heart starting to break into pieces, but she manages to smile.

 

“Gimme the lyrics, you dummy. I can’t believe you passed high school without learning how to use Google.” Joohyun shakes her head.

 

“No, I swear. This song is really hard to find, Hyun. Even Wendy couldn’t find it. I hate to admit it, but she’s really a Search King.” Seulgi tells Joohyun.

 

“Well, that’s weird. What are the lyrics? Let me try looking for it.” Joohyun asks.

“Uh, some of the lines that I remember are “I remember very first time in love”, something about a “roller coaster” and uh, what else?”

 

Seulgi starts to rack her brain for more lyrics, while Joohyun’s eyes starts to widen in realization.

 

“Oh yeah! There’s also this line, “I need your love”. Seulgi says excitedly.

 

She turns to see Joohyun frozen in her seat seemingly staring into space.

 

“Hyunnie? Are you alright?” Seulgi asks as she waves a hand in front of Joohyun’s face.

 

Joohyun ignores Seulgi’s question as she gets up and takes her CD player from her desk, removes the earphones that were currently plugged in and replaces it with her purple speakers.

 

She sets the devices down on the dining table where Seulgi was still sitting, confused by Joohyun’s sudden actions.

 

“Hyun? What’s this for?” Seulgi asks.

 

“Just listen.” Joohyun tells Seulgi as she pressed the play button.

 

Seulgi instantly recognizes the song as her face lights up upon hearing the familiar lyrics.

 

That’s it!” Seulgi exclaims as she starts dancing to the song. “Where’d you get this, Hyun?”

 

“It’s the title track of Chungha’s unreleased album. We haven’t seen each other in a long time so we decided to catch up. She just gave it to me last night so I’m the only one who knows about it right now.” Joohyun finishes while staring at Seulgi intensely, her heart wanting to jump out of her chest.

 

Wait-” Before Seulgi could continue, a body comes crashing onto hers and clings onto her tightly.

 

Seulgi hugs Joohyun back and they remain in that position for quite some time before Seulgi speaks up.

 

“You’re my soulmate?” Seulgi asks Joohyun. “You’re really, really my soulmate?” She asks again, finding it hard to believe that the girl she’s been in love with was the one truly meant for her.

 

“Why? Are you disappointed? Were you expecting someone else?” Joohyun avoids Seulgi’s gaze as she asks the taller girl, with a hint of insecurity in her voice.

 

“Of course not.” Seulgi says softly as she tilts Joohyun’s head to look her in the eye. “If I’m going to be honest, I wanted it to be you.” Seulgi pauses and takes a breath.

 

God, I had always wanted it to be you, even way before we met in that music room.” Seulgi smiles softly.

 

Hearing Seulgi’s confession, Joohyun just wanted to melt right then and there.

 

“I was just making sure because, how in the world could a goddess like you be my soulmate?” She Joohyun’s cheek lightly, both wanting to assure the smaller girl and to tell herself that this wasn’t a dream.

 

At this, Joohyun bursts into laughter and slaps Seulgi’s chest.

 

“I’m sorry, Seul. Goddess? That’s way too cheesy, even for you. You’ve clearly been infected by Wendy.”

 

“Hey! Why’d you have to ruin the moment, Hyun?” Seulgi pouts and looks away.

 

It was now Joohyun’s turn to make Seulgi face her so she takes Seulgi’s face in between her hands and pulls the latter’s face towards hers.

 

“I’m no goddess, Seul. I’m just a girl who’s hopelessly in love with her best friend.” Joohyun says as her gaze lands on Seulgi’s soft lips.

 

“Well, that’s good. Because I’m hopelessly in love with you too.” Seulgi answers and she closes the gap between them.

 

As soon as their lips connected it was as if the whole world around them was set on fire.

 

Their first kiss was soft and slow, both just wanting to savor the moment and let each other feel how much love they have for the other.

 

In that moment, nothing else mattered. The whole world could have been falling apart but not even that could stop them from finally getting what their hearts have been screaming for.

 

Joohyun pulled away first, breathless. She rested her forehead against Seulgi’s as she closed her eyes, feeling her heart finally at peace.

 

Wow. I'm so in love with you.” Seulgi exhales. She leads Joohyun towards their couch to sit and talk. “I can’t believe it took us this long. I guess I have to thank Chungha for making you listen to the catchy song.” Seulgi grins.

 

Wait.” Seulgi says as her grin falls apart. “Chungha’s not my soulmate, right? It’s you, right?” She visibly panics.

 

“No, she’s not your soulmate.” Joohyun chuckles. “Well, she better not be. You’re mine, Kang Seulgi. Only mine.

 

“Woah, I’m in love with a possessive bunny. I like it.” Seulgi says as she kisses Joohyun’s forehead.

 

“I’m tired. I want cuddles.” Joohyun pouts cutely.

 

Seriously, Hyun. You’re killing me here.” Seulgi wants to faint at how cute her best friend? Girlfriend? Was.

 

“Wait, this definitely means that you’re my girlfriend now, right?” Seulgi confirms.

 

“Of course! What? Were you planning on asking Chungha to be your girlfriend instead?” The clearly jealous bunny asks.

 

“Of course not! I’m in love with you, not Chungha. Weirdo.” Seulgi chuckles as Joohyun blushes.

 

Good. Besides, Chungha already has a soulmate. So I guess you’re stuck with me, Kang Seulgi.”

 

“I wouldn’t have it any other way.” Seulgi says as she pulls Joohyun in for another kiss, this time more heated and less innocent than their first.

 

“Wait, what-, uh- time is it? .” Joohyun curses as Seulgi starts trailing kisses down her neck.

 

“Why?” Seulgi murmurs as she continues her act, wanting to get rid of any distractions in Joohyun’s head at the moment.

 

.” Joohyun hisses. “Chungha’s album drops, uh, at 6PM. We, mhmm, gotta listen to it. Seul, .” She says as she runs her fingers through Seulgi’s locks.

 

“We can listen to that later." Seulgi begins to Joohyun's top. "We have more uh, pressing matters at hand.” Seulgi says as she lifts her head from Joohyun’s neck and gives her a wink.

 

It’s safe to say that Joohyun and Seulgi didn’t leave their dorm room for the rest of the night.

 

 

 

It was also safe to say that they were late to the amusement park the following day.

 

“What part of 10 AM did you not understand, Kang Seulgi?” Wendy reprimands.

 

“Hey, don’t look at me only! Joohyun’s also late!” Seulgi defends herself.

 

“Well, she probably got held up trying to wake your sleepy !” Wendy tells her. “But Joohyun, why the are you wearing a turtleneck? It’s blazing hot today! Jeez, aren’t you burning?”

 

Joohyun and Seulgi could only blush, not able to think of an excuse.

 

“Wait a minute..” Yeri says, noticing the blush on their faces and their intertwined hands.

 

“You guys did it.” Joy smirks as she and Yeri share a high five.

 

Holy crap! Finally! I was beginning to lose all my hair trying to push Seulgi’s stubborn to just confess to Joohyun.” Wendy exclaims.

 

“We know the feeling.” Yeri and Joy say in unison.

 

“Hey, babe! Sorry I’m late!” Somebody calls out to Wendy from afar.

 

Babe? You weren’t kidding when you said you had a girlfriend? Seulgi asks, in shock.

 

“Chungha?” Joohyun calls out to Wendy’s girlfriend.

 

“Well, this is an even bigger surprise.” Yeri says.

 

“Of course I wasn’t! What the hell? Anyway, guys, this is my girlfriend and soulmate, Chungha.” Wendy introduces.

 

“You sure you don’t regret anything, Chungha?” Joy teases.

 

“Of course not. Wendy is such a catch.” Chungha pulls Wendy and kisses her cheek.

 

“Babe, your plan worked. I can’t believe it. It was definitely worth it letting Joohyun hear your whole album first. I don’t think I’m that jealous anymore.” Wendy tells Chungha.

 

“Well, duh. I told you it would work! You lack trust in my abilities.” Chungha sulks.

 

“It’s not you I don’t trust. It’s these two!” Wendy points to Seulgi and Joohyun.

 

“Yeah, don’t take it too hard, Chungha. Even if your plan didn’t work, it’s definitely on those two.” Yeri adds.

 

“Hey! I thought you were our friends?” Seulgi complains.

 

“We are. It’s just that you two are the densest and stupidest human beings I’ve ever encountered in this world!” Joy says, exasperated.

“Alright, alright. Cut it out, everybody. Let’s just be thankful that they’re finally together. I don’t know what I’d do if I’ll get to hear more of Seulgi’s sighs of ual frustration over Joohyun.” Wendy rolls her eyes.

 

Seulgi shuts in embarrassment.

 

“We get it, okay? Can we just move on?” Joohyun saves both of them from further embarrassment. “By the way, congratulations on the album, Chungha. And really, thank you.” Joohyun smiles as she takes Chungha’s hand and gives it a light squeeze.

 

“No problem, Joohyun. I did owe you a lot back in high school for saving my gay from all those stupid boys.” Chungha’s face contorts in disgust.

 

“Just doing it all for my fellow gays.” Joohyun shrugs.

 

Great! Now that we’re all here. What do you guys want to ride first?” Wendy asks.

 

“Is that even a question? We’re definitely going to the roller coaster.” Yeri states as a matter of fact. “Oh and BTW, congratulations, Chungha.” Yeri adds.

 

“Thanks, Yeri. But yeah, we totally gotta ride the roller coaster.” Chungha agrees.

 

“Uh, I think Seul and I will grab some breakfast first?” Joohyun reasons out trying to escape riding the roller coaster.

 

“Yeah, I gotta feed the hungry bunny first.” Seulgi pulls Joohyun closer, sensing her girlfriend's fear.

 

“Suit yourself. Let’s go, guys.” Joy shrugs as the four of them head over to the roller coaster.

 

 


 

Joohyun and Seulgi were finally alone when Seulgi faces Joohyun and opens to girlfriend.

 

“So, you’re scared, huh? I thought you loved roller coasters so much? You even can’t stop singing about it! I can still hear it in my head, you know.” Seulgi teases.

 

“I-I’m not scared! I’m just hungry. And it’s really catchy and you know it! Unlike, your y songs.” Joohyun huffs.

 

“I already told you that I only liked them because they have a nice beat! And quit acting innocent! You didn’t seem to mind my y side last night.” Seulgi smirks.

 

“S-Shut up, Kang Seulgi.” Joohyun blushes.

 

“Anyway, if you’re not scared then let’s go! Come on. I wanna try making out with you on the roller coaster.” Seulgi winks as she princess carries Joohyun to the roller coaster.

 

“You’re ridiculous. Hey, Kang Seulgi! Put me down!” Joohyun laughs as she struggles to escape.

 

Roller coaster, ohhhh. I need your love, ooohhh. Baby your love ohhh woah. Seulgi smiles as she sings, ignoring Joohyun’s cute pleas.


 

 

END