Trivial

Trivial
Please log in to read the full chapter

Trivial

 

A/N: I'm not in college yet, so I have no idea how programs and stuff there work, and I'm really lazy to research (oops), so I apologize if this like entire thing makes no sense. But happy reading!

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

 

"Are you sure, Seulgi?"

 

"Yes dad, I'm sure."

 

"Alright princess, if that's what you want. But just know that the school will be keeping their spot for you open. They would really like you to attend."

 

"Please tell them they don't need to? I'm very happy where I am now."

 

"Alright, princess. Don't study too hard, okay? Wouldn't want you to be brain dead when you visit."

 

"Dad!"

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

 

Seulgi remembered when she had this conversation with her dad. The university she received the offer from was much closer to her home, and her parents weren’t exactly happy that she wanted to move so far away just to attend a university that isn’t the best for what she wanted to do. Her current university didn’t offer the same great programs and connections that the other university did, but at the university she attends now was someone she held so dear to her heart.

 

Her best friend and first real love, Son Seungwan.

 

Seulgi knows that she's developed many crushes in the past, but her attraction to her best friend, she noticed, has been a constant in her life from the moment she met the same-aged girl. It was their first year of high school when Seungwan transferred, saying that she was from Canada and has returned to Korea after a very long time abroad. The girl was so bright, being both smart and the source of near instant-happiness for anyone in the same room as her. But what really attracted Seulgi to the girl was how much she cared for those around her.

 

Now Seulgi won't lie to herself. She knows that she first noticed Seungwan when the foreign-looking girl first stepped into the classroom with her thin, circle glasses; brown hair just past her shoulders in loose braids that she brought up from behind her; shy demeanor; and her dazzling smile. But as she sat next to the foreign-looking girl for the rest of the year, she learned that Seungwan was so kind to others and cared for everyone.

 

This really dawned on Seulgi the very first time she expressed some form of sadness to the shorter girl. Seulgi insisted that she was okay, but Seungwan was persistent. She bugged Seulgi about it again and again, and wouldn't relent unless the taller girl finally spilled what she was keeping in her heart. They've cried in one another's arms, but also held one another in those same arms as they laughed and smiled together.

 

Seulgi was attracted at first sight, but she fell in love as their years together grew more and more meaningful in her heart.

 

Now in their second year of college, Seungwan and she were sharing an apartment a few blocks from the university. Seungwan was working as a tutor for students in academic-oriented classes, but also for students in the music department. It's been known since Seungwan first moved back that she was musically gifted; skilled in a variety of instruments ranging from strings to woodwinds, and blessed with a heavenly voice that could move you to tears, or make your day five times better than it was before she opened to sing. Seulgi on the other hand worked part time at a local coffee shop.

 

They made do along with some support from their parents, but they lived comfortably together. It was a great sized apartment - two bedrooms, one bathroom, a living room, and a kitchen big enough to support two hungry young adults. The same-aged friends even shared one of the bedrooms, the other being turned into more of a study, but they put in a couch bed in there just in case. They also had a television which they almost never use, and a couch in the living that they often lounged on lazily after a long day.

 

Every morning, Seulgi would take her bike for her early morning shift at the shop, and would be there till the afternoon, where she would ride to the university grounds for her classes. Some days she had less classes than others, so she would find a comfortable spot at the campus library, and catch up on her music history. When she didn't need to do so, she would go to the dance studio early and get started before the others arrived. And when they did, the exercise would begin, and Seulgi would drown herself in the music as she moved her body to the beat. Seungwan's schedule was slightly different than hers, and Seungwan would scold herself at times when it rained hard and Seulgi would be forced to ride her bike to their home in the rain, but Seulgi assured her best friend she was perfectly fine.

 

After all, it wasn't Seungwan getting drenched on.

 

Seulgi often also had to remind her best friend that majoring in medicine and minoring in music was not an easy schedule to balance, so it was important that she was always healthy and got proper rest. Seungwan of course would retort, but Seulgi was stubborn, and Seungwan would let go of trivial matters easily.

 

But Seulgi never thought she was a trivial matter. Seungwan held a special place in her heart, and Seulgi always assumed Seungwan felt the same for her.

 

She most definitely didn't feel the same.

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

 

"Seul, Seul! Come here!" Seungwan yelled from their shared bedroom the moment Seulgi stepped into the apartment. Seulgi rushed over to see her best friend sat on the bed, practically bouncing with happiness with her guitar in her hands, and some music sheets spread over their comforter.

 

"Geez, Wannie. You'll scare the neighbors." Seulgi teased, and the younger girl whined before beckoning Seulgi over to the bed again.

 

"Okay, so our next assignment is a performance. We have to sing a song or play an instrument in the auditorium next week, and the Professor says it’s mandatory we bring people so it'll be like a real performance. He says its to present our skills in front of an audience so he can get a feel for all of us before he decides the lineup for the Winter Special." Seungwan ranted with a smile on her face.

 

"So you're gonna so off and sing and play an instrument?" Seulgi teased again, leaning closer to the girl. Seungwan whined again before pushing Seulgi back.

 

"Okay, maybe I want to do both because I want to insure a spot in the lineup." Seulgi grinned and Seungwan brought her foot from under her to kick the girl's leg. "But I'm sure other people are doing the same." Seungwan finally returned the smile, most likely thinking about performing already.

 

"Alright, so what do you have prepared?" Seungwan sifted through the sheets a bit before taking a page and shoving it in Seulgi's face. The bear-like girl nearly toppled backwards at the sudden intrusion of her personal space, and sent a glare at the girl holding back a laugh. "Make Me Love You. Oh, the song by Girls’ Generation’s main vocalist, right?" Seulgi started humming the song and Seungwan nodded enthusiastically.

 

"Yeah! I transposed it onto the guitar, but I'm afraid it'll sound bad. I mean, the original song's instrumental has like no guitar, so what if he doesn't like how my song sounds and doesn't even bother considering me as a part of the lineup because he didn't like my choice?" Seungwan ranted again, but with a frown. Seulgi pinched the girl's cheeks and forced her to look at her.

 

"If he doesn't even consider you for the line up, then he's just plain stupid." Seulgi shook her head as she pulled away. "Wan, you could have people wearing noise-isolating headphones banging on garbage cans, and you'd still make whatever song it is you're singing sound beautiful. Don't worry about it, alright?" Seulgi smiled widely at her friend, and Seungwan timidly nodded. Seungwan was never able to get used to the plethora of compliments from the monolid woman. "So go on and knock me off this bed like you almost did two minutes ago." Seungwan slapped Seulgi's knee before arranging her music sheets in front of her and getting comfortable with her guitar in hand.

 

“Wait, but you have to promise that you’ll come and watch, Seul. Even if this sounds bad.”

 

“Hey don’t worry about it, Wan. I’m sure you’ll sound great.” Seungwan looked at her expectantly and Seulgi sighed. “Alright I promise, Wan. Now sing!”

 

And it was in this moment that Seulgi's stomach flipped, for she knew that from this moment on, Seungwan and she wouldn't ever be the same again.

 

“Never seen it before

 

Deeply place me in your universe

 

Take me far away

And make me love you”

 

Seulgi stared into her best friend's eyes and saw them to be full of love - but she knew that love would never be directed towards her. And as the song came to a close, it was as if Seungwan was put into a trance. She was looking in the direction of her music sheets, but Seulgi could tell she wasn't focused on them. Seungwan was far away right now and out of Seulgi's reach. She felt her best friend slipping from her fingers, and she knew she wouldn't be able to do anything about it.

 

"So how was it?" Seungwan suddenly shot up from her spot, surprising Seulgi for a moment before she gathered herself again.

 

"It was great, Wan! I told you it would sound amazing." Seungwan smiled widely and flopped back on the bed in relief. Seulgi observed that her friend looked far away again, and she just had to ask.

 

Make Me Love You "Hey Wan. Is there anyone you like right now?" Seungwan then turned several shades red, and Seulgi already knew the answer, but she wanted the girl to say it herself.

 

"Wh-why would you ask that so s-suddenly?" Seungwan was sat up now, but she was looking everywhere but in Seulgi's general direction.

 

Seulgi shrugged before answering, "I don't know. You just seemed really into the song, almost like you were thinking about someone." Seungwan was silent so Seulgi figured she wouldn't get an answer from the girl. "I'm gonna grab something to eat real quick, alright?" Seulgi got up but was stopped when Seungwan finally spoke.

 

"There is someone." Seulgi turned to see Seungwan playing with the strands of her hair. "There is someone that I... like." Seulgi smiled to herself before stepping closer to caress Seungwan's head. She was obviously flustered.

 

"I hope I get to meet them one day."

 

-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-:-

 

And it was as if the world was against her because it hasn't even been two days since she said that, and here Seulgi was, faced with her beautiful best friend, and a beautiful woman beside her.

 

"This is Joohyun. Um, we've been dating for about five months now." Seungwan said nervously. Joohyun smiled softly up at Seulgi with one hand out to shake, and one holding Seungwan's. Seulgi firmly took the smaller woman's small hands, but couldn't help from glancing at their joined fingers. Seulgi noticed the stiff atmosphere and felt the need to lighten it up.

 

"Why are you so anxious, Wannie?" Seulgi laughed and playfully swiped her best friend's shoulder, but Seungwan's nervous look didn't go away.

 

"I just... we've been friends for so long, and we promised to tell each other everything." Seulgi smiled sadly and was curious about what it would be like to confess her feelings to Seungwan. "And I never told you about Joohyun so I...." Seulgi shook her head before taking Seungwan's face in her hands and patting her cheeks lightly.

 

"Hey, just because we promised that doesn't mean you have to tell me everything. You're a person too, and you deserve to have some privacy, Wan."

 

"But-"

 

"No buts, Wan. If you're worried about me disapproving or something, then don't. As long as you're happy, that's all that matters to me, alright?" Seulgi shot her another smile, and Seungwan smiled brightly in return.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter